The Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 8 March, 2014 - 09:21

The Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin

Has anyone read the book The Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin? It was recommended to me by a couple of people.

8 March, 2014 - 10:03

I read it a long time ago, so I don't remember it too well. What I do remember is that the book was mostly anecdotal, with each chapter discussing a principal of learning that leads to mastery. For example, (SPOILERS: PLEASE DON'T READ THE REST OF THIS PARAGRAPH IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW. SKIP TO THE NEXT PARAGRAPH) he discussed the time he lost his first chess championship, took some time off to recoup (which he says was vital to his success), and then studied chess with renewed vigor and won the following year. Or the time he was studying Tai Chi and how he paid very close attention to his sensei's subtle cues on how to improve his form, and because of that, he was able to win a Tai Chi tournament.

I remember thinking that the book was nothing special or enlightening, and that the book was probably better suited towards those who were adolescents. Because of the way the book is written / organized, I'm sure some people will find some chapters more helpful than others, depending on their own life experiences and how well they can relate to the anecdotes given.

Again, I read the book a long time ago, so I could be wrong about some of the points I brought up. Take it with a grain of salt I suppose :p

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: