Speed binary

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 1 July, 2013 - 07:52

Speed binary

Hi All,

Just messing around with speed binary and I am at about 12 digits in 3 seconds.

Is this any good, I'm no Ramon Compayo, but what is a good number of digits to memorise in under 4 seconds?

Thanks,

Sea

1 July, 2013 - 08:56

Just looked at he results from the world championships and 12 is pretty bad, oh well, its a start. I can do 18 in 5 secs so I'll work from there!

Does anyone have any info on techniques for speed memorisation?

regards,

Sea

2 July, 2013 - 02:22

ok down to 18 in 4 seconds, starting to make progress Once can do this everytime I will move on to 27. Does anyone have any info on the speed memory competitions, I'm really looking for info on the other disciplines in the competition, (in English), Ramon Compayos website does not seem to translate too well,

thanks,

Sea

3 July, 2013 - 07:17
WJW
WJW's picture

@seamagu

I was just wondering how you do your binary. By that I mean do you group your binary in groups of 3's (like I do) and then 4 groups of 3 binary digits becomes one PO?

An example of my memorization would be (just pulled this from Josh's binary generator of 30 digits).

100 011 011 100 000 010 001 001 001 100

4-----3-----3-----4-----0-----2-----1-----1-----1-----4

David Carridine/perfume bottle---ObiWan Kenobi/army helmet---Adele.

Just curious because I do the same thing with colour-coding (red/black) a card deck.

J

5 July, 2013 - 05:48

Hi J,

Yeah, I use the major system and group them in 3. I grab the letters into my short term memory and then form images after the time is up. If I do form words using the major system they usually don't make any sense.

For your example above I would memorise it as:
more red santa didem.
it took me less then 10 seconds.
I would then think over the words and create better images which would give me :
hammer red-santa Tie (nexktie) tomb. I would place these in a simple journey. Thats if I need to emorise them for any length of time.

today I memorised 24 binary numbers for a collegue and during lunch he asked me to recall them, which I did forwards and backwards. I had the images in a journey but I only spent 30 seconds initially memorising them.

I think speed memorisation helps with general memorisation. I am not at 22 binary digits in 4 seconds and have done a max of 12 in 1 second.

I am working on a strategy to get my binary and decimal digits up but it is quite difficult and to make an improvement takes a lot of concentration.

I'd love to know what strategies the guys in the speed memory competitions use as thier scores are pretty crazy. Some people are memorising over 40 binary digits in 4 seconds.

Also, there does not seem to be many people doing or talking about speed memory

regards,

Sea

5 July, 2013 - 19:09
WJW
WJW's picture

seamagu wrote:

more red santa didem.

hammer red-santa Tie (nexktie) tomb.

Sea

Just an observation and making sure I have your MS (major system) right.

0-S
1-TD
2-N
3-R
4-M

You transpose your 3-4 (N-M) correct?

I like your "Major" idea of quickly and arbitrarily turning numbers into consonants and then "thinking" about them later...

J

8 July, 2013 - 02:17

Hi J,

Maybe I made an error in my last post but the major system I use is pretty standard:
0-S
1-TD
2-N
3-M
4-R
5-L
6-Sh, Ch,
7-KCG
8-FV
9-PB
0-S

Yeah, I can't seem to break past 18 binary digits in 4 seconds. I did get 22 the other day but it is pretty hard. I think I need to train speedreading binary digits and then move onto memorising at that faster pace. I think the bottleneck is actually seeing the numbers. Once I see them the major sound comes pretty quick. Just thinking out loud here but maybe I need to do some drills without memorising and get my reading speed up and maybe that will automatically increase my speed binary memorisation,

regards,

Sea

9 July, 2013 - 08:33

Still can't break past 22 binary digits in 4 seconds. I have found that the arrangement of the digits makes a big difference which supports my speed reading hypothesis.

If I stop practising for a day or two it reduces down to an average of 15 digits in 5 seconds as oppossed to 18.

Also, I can really only get 12 digits in 1 second.

I think for the 1 second the conversion from binary to letter is done after the time is up if that makes any sense,

regards,

Sea

9 July, 2013 - 15:41
WJW
WJW's picture

@sea

Sounds like you and I are doing the same thing but going about it from different angles :-)

I had never tried starting my timing with the binary numbers right there, since I usually like using a deck of cards as my binary generator but I tried it your way to see what I could do. I took Josh's BINARY Generator and made a list of 72 binary numbers in groups of 3's

1 0 0
1 0 0
1 0 0
0 0 0

0 1 1
0 0 1
0 1 0
1 0 1

0 0 1
0 0 1
0 1 0
1 0 0

0 0 1
1 1 0
0 0 0
1 0 1

1 1 1
0 0 0
1 1 1
0 0 0

0 1 0
0 0 1
1 0 1
1 1 0

My times were anywhere from 20 down to 6 seconds or so per 24 digits depending on how the numbers came up (example would be the last two groups, 7070 and 2153) which in my case are Steve-O drinking beer and Bryan Adams swinging a raccoon.

Just for curiosities sake, have you tried running through a half deck (24 cards, 12 black/12 red) using the deck as a Binary generator like THIS ? I just ran through 6 half-decks and my times were from 20 to 31 seconds. That of course includes manually having to slide through the deck to see the cards as they come up too. I'm not sure if josh allows uploading of small videos here, as a 30 second video would be more self-explanatory.

J

10 July, 2013 - 03:15

Hi J,

Good idea re: unning through the half decks like that. I got 21 s on my first go and 16 on my 2nd using the memory ladder app.

I managed to get 23 digits in 4 seconds yesterday but i'm not sure how repeatable it is. I think I really need to drill my major system pegs to form meaningful words quicker.

I can do about 8 normal digits in 4 seconds aswel, for that I use the major system and then store the last 4 digits in my short term memory.

I'm sure there is some way of breaking through the 18 digit binary speed barrier, I just can't seem to get past 18 digits in 4 seconds with any consistency.

If you have any idea on how to improve I am open to suggestion?

Its good to see someone else is doing speed memorisation. I wonder will it help with normal memorisation competition?

thanks,

Sea

10 July, 2013 - 21:45

WJW wrote:
I'm not sure if josh allows uploading of small videos here, as a 30 second video would be more self-explanatory.

The software for this website doesn't allow direct uploads of videos, but you can upload them to YouTube or Vimeo and then paste the URLs in a video post.

11 July, 2013 - 04:09

Thanks Josh.

Today I decided to try a completely different strategy whereby I abandoned the major system. My new system avoids the majority of encoding. I have only tried it for about 20 minutes and I am at 24 digits in 4 seconds, so already I have broken through my 22 digit barrier. I just could not get past that with the major system.

I'll experiment a bit more and lat you know how I get on,

regards,

Sea

11 July, 2013 - 07:42

quick update,

using my new system I've hit the 30 out of 30 mark in 4 seconds. I can still only do 12 in 1 second though.

A bit more practice and I should see some more improvement in the coming days,

regards,

Sea

11 July, 2013 - 14:08
WJW
WJW's picture

seamagu wrote:
quick update,

using my new system...

And your new system is what exactly...? 8)

11 July, 2013 - 16:30

WJW wrote:
seamagu wrote:
quick update,

using my new system...

And your new system is what exactly...? 8)

Yes what WJW said. ^
:)

12 July, 2013 - 07:13

:-) My new system is.....quite new. Especially to me. I did not come across it in any of the books but then again they are not really focussed on speed.

hitting 24 on average now with a few hits around 29 30.

I'll keep you posted

Sea ;-)

15 July, 2013 - 16:39
WJW
WJW's picture

http://www.recordholders.org/en/records/quick-memory/quick-memory.html

I got a looooong way to go... ;)

Test your decimal/binary speed HERE

17 July, 2013 - 05:54

Hi J,

I'm training at 3 seconds now, I think that way when I go to 4 I should see a jump in improvement. I can consistently get 18/18 digits with 22 and 24 the odd time.

Once I get to 22 or 24 consistently I think I'll jump up to 4 seconds for a while and see how I am doing.

Still at 12/12 in 1 second.

regards,

Sea

7 August, 2013 - 10:26

quick update for anyone that is interested.

I still have not got my system down 100% but I am consistently memorising 22-24 digits in 3 seconds practically every time.

I have hit 30 a few times and even managed 32 once. At 4 seconds I have reached 34 digits

In one second I can hit 16 digits quite easily with my system.

Hopefully in a few months I will be able to report back with even better results.

As for normal digits, they are tough, I can hit about 9 in 3 seconds so I need to rethink my strategy on that one. my goal is 14 digits in 3 seconds which is the number of digits on a credit card :-)

regards,

Sea.

2 October, 2013 - 23:30

Binary is really tricky. I am just trying it right now on memocamp for the first time after learning what the 8 "designs" looked like. Did 150 in 5 mins with no problems and am about to attempt the next level - "210." It's going to be a little hard because the numbers take so long to read that there isn't any time for review.

Are you going to explain how you do those short bursts so quickly? You already have speed; you should start stretching the amount...

Edit: BTW, I failed that one: got 180 correct but couldn't get to the last line...

3 October, 2013 - 02:14

Hi Double Helix,

I use the major system for memorising long lists of binary. I've only done about 120 in one go, I did it under 5 mins but not sure of the exact time.

As for the speed binary, I need to get back to that. I have levelled off at 24 in 3 seconds but I know what I need to do to improve this. I'm pretty confident I can get into the 40s in 4 seconds.

I don't think the speed method could be sustained beyond maybe a 100 digits as it is quite taxing. Maybe a hybrid method of using the speed method at the start or end might be of use. JUst to get an extra 20 or so digits in the last few seconds.

At this moment I don't really want to divulge my method until I have really honed it to perfection, sorry about that.

regards,

Sea

18 October, 2013 - 08:31

Hello, I can do 2 lines(60 digits) in under 10 seconds on Memoraid fairly easily. I read them as 4-2-4 and make a syllable for the 10 digits. For the first and last four I use [c t n m r f s d b g h l k j w p] and [O E I A] in between. I have an image list, but I find it is faster to just read out the 6 syllables as fast as I can and use the echoic memory for it. The hardest part I have with binary is actually reading the digits into sounds/images quick enough since they are spread out compared to the amount of characters I need to look at for an image for digits/cards.

On Memoraid, I set the highlighter to 5 digits so I can see where things start and end better. I do the same thing on paper and if I went to a competition, then I would bring a ruler for this because the time and errors that it saves me is significant.

The fact that 3 cards is the same as 30 digits for me makes me wonder why people are not better at binary.

18 October, 2013 - 09:14

The fact that 3 cards is the same as 30 digits for me makes me wonder why people are not better at binary.

I can say for myself that I'm far more better at cards than at numbers, even if I use the similar system - 1 image per card, and 2 digit system.

I can do 20 decks of cards in one hour, but I cannot do 2000 numbers no matter what... Even when it comes to memorizing 100 numbers. I cannot do that in 30 seconds, as I can do a deck of cards. And my conclusion? I'm distracted more... I hold my eyes straight while I'm memorizing a deck, just cards are changing in front of me, but numbers, I have to do so many other things:
- pay attention if I choose correct numbers from that mess of numbers on the paper
- pay attention if I already reached the end of the row, and then hit the correct row below
- move with my eyes and head

Maybe this is not the reason, maybe the only thing is takes is training, but I've got a feeling that I'm up to something, at least in my case.

23 October, 2013 - 21:01

Nightwalker wrote:

- pay attention if I choose correct numbers from that mess of numbers on the paper
- pay attention if I already reached the end of the row, and then hit the correct row below

Maybe this is not the reason, maybe the only thing is takes is training, but I've got a feeling that I'm up to something, at least in my case.

How can 3 cards be the same as 30 digits in Binary? 52 lies between 2^5 and 2^6, hence, a card should never represent more than 5 binary digits. Is my math mistaken, or are you doing something extremely cool?

Those things you said are true, especially for binary. It's very hard to skim over 10 digits at top speed and be confident about not making any errors.

24 October, 2013 - 01:11

LociInTheSky wrote:
Nightwalker wrote:

How can 3 cards be the same as 30 digits in Binary? 52 lies between 2^5 and 2^6, hence, a card should never represent more than 5 binary digits. Is my math mistaken, or are you doing something extremely cool?

Those things you said are true, especially for binary. It's very hard to skim over 10 digits at top speed and be confident about not making any errors.

I was quoting the comment of user ALeman above mine. But for some reason there was no quote button, so I used the italic text style for distinguishable text. So no, I'm not doig anything cool, don't be afraid. ;)

27 October, 2013 - 06:45

Nightwalker wrote:

I agree with about everything here. My question might be better worded as why is it not practiced and I realize that it's like a side event so that's that. I still think there is still a lot of room for improvement in the world rankings because there is a very sharp drop in scores even in the top 15
LociInTheSky wrote:

I didn't put the time into a 2 card image system. I may one day, but I don't feel like it is a good use of time at the moment. so 1 card =1 image but I have a 10 digit binary system so 10 digits=1 image so 3cards=30 binary in terms of images. Basically, I was willing to make a 1024 image system but not a 2652 image system

11 November, 2013 - 22:35

hey, i am trying to learn how to memorize binary, i am a complete beginner and im very new to this. I am trying to understand how you assign the 4 groups of 3 digits to a PO,

in your example, you have 4 3 3 4 as David carridine/perfume bottle. is 43 your david and 34 your perfume bottle? and how many POs do you need to have for this method?

12 November, 2013 - 02:39

WJW wrote:
@sea

My times were anywhere from 20 down to 6 seconds or so per 24 digits depending on how the numbers came up (example would be the last two groups, 7070 and 2153) which in my case are Steve-O drinking beer and Bryan Adams swinging a raccoon.

Just for curiosities sake, have you tried running through a half deck (24 cards, 12 black/12 red) using the deck as a Binary generator like THIS ? I just ran through 6 half-decks and my times were from 20 to 31 seconds. That of course includes manually having to slide through the deck to see the cards as they come up too. I'm not sure if josh allows uploading of small videos here, as a 30 second video would be more self-explanatory.

J

When you say 12 black and 12 red... does that mean anything? as in, do you have your PO's according to the suit nd color? if so please let me know how! im trying to develop my PAO as well as i can.

12 November, 2013 - 06:38

just to clarify,

I don't use PAO for speed binary memorisation,

regards,

Sea

10 April, 2015 - 01:28

Using a 9-9-9 configuration i can do 27 in 2-3 seconds and 18 in 1 second by making 2-3 mental notes of the shape of the 1s. I guess i could make it alot better with practice.

3 October, 2016 - 05:12

I'm really new at this but I do have the time and the willingness to really master this. I want to be able to memorize the red/black order of a deck of cards in 30-40seconds. The faster the better of course. How would you do it? I've seen many tips but it's all a blur to me. I do know some fundamental techniques and yes, I can read articles if you link them. I just don't know where to begin?

Download our free ebook! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account, and we'll send you a free ebook with tips on how to get started.

Related content: