Post Your Speed Numbers Times Here

51 posts / 0 new
Last post
28 October, 2015 - 19:55

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I am hoping for a little advice on 5-minute random numbers. I'm having a hard time making that jump from 120 to 140. I know I need to get faster on my recognition of my images (I'm using 2-digit PAO for now), so I'm working on that. Lance mentioned this:

Quote:
You want to be moving so quickly that you can't even say the words in your head to keep up. Basically, as soon as the digits "mean something" to you, move on. Way, way faster than you can put them in loci with any clarity at all. As I said, I review 120 digits between 2 and 3 times in 2 1/2 minutes, which is EXTREMELY fast for someone who can only memorize 140 digits in 5 minutes. But there is never any doubt during recall; not at all.

So basically my strategy is to get as many images in the loci as possible without even worrying about the detail. If you can review the whole thing, you won't need much more than that.

, so I think I may try this. I'm somewhat in awe of his going from 120 to over 300 in nine months. That was an amazing increase, so I'm inclined to follow his advice!

Anyone else want to talk random numbers?

28 October, 2015 - 20:53

I would absolutely echo that advice, Tracy. You probably know that's precisely what I've recommended for Cards.

However, I think this step can be taken too early. Sometimes in our training, we can think we've imagined and associated numbers, when we haven't at all. Nevertheless, once that staged is passed, it can massively increase speeds by deciding what pace to go at and stick to it stubbornly.

But my PB is only 284, so I may not be the one to ask!

29 October, 2015 - 06:42

Ha, ha. ONLY 284. You guys crack me up. Thanks for your input, Graham. I have much work to do.

9 November, 2015 - 19:13

Thanks to Lance's advice I actually almost got 320 today. I only made 3 errors which considering before I didnt even have time left to review all 300 and this time I ended up with 20 sec left I would say I am on my way to finally reaching over 300.

L

9 November, 2015 - 19:49

It's just one thing to do Tracy. I stand by it, but it's just one thing to do. When you practice the same thing in a different way, or with a different focus, different goals, it may be novel enough that your learning may be boosted in the way learning is always efficient when you first begin a new skill. When you aren't even a beginner, when you have zero skill, practicing that skill is immediately beneficial and learning is huge. That's the benefit of being creative with your approaches and changing your focus to achieve the same goal. Learning how to visualize images this quickly is absolutely necessary to have speed numbers over 300. You'll have to learn it, but when you're so far from 300 you would never have a reason to even try to develop that lightning fast visualization since it is not necessary at your current level. But it does help. ;)

3 January, 2016 - 15:51

380 :(

3 January, 2016 - 17:39

Why the frowny face? Isn't 380 a HUGE improvement over your previous best?

3 January, 2016 - 18:08

That's part of the reason for my reaction, Tracy.

It's a pretty big improvement over my last posted PB. Yet, when I then look at the current standards, it's really nothing to be pleased with.

4 January, 2016 - 10:10

If Memocamp is up to date, that would put you around 13th in the world. Not too shabby at all considering all the amazing mental athletes out there!

24 January, 2016 - 04:52

are you kidding :( 380!!!
when I've achieved my last score (254) I wanted to jump from a high mountain ; coz of my happiness LOL...
man this is really great :) ... CONGRATULATIONS !!!

Badr

26 August, 2016 - 12:09

I got to 277 in 5 minutes, though with 1 error in the last few, which had to do with the loci (never got that far into my memory palace :P)
I did get the first 272 correct! <3

Edit: My daughter (5 years old) loves mnemonics as well, and she asked if she could have her best result on here as well :P so yea, her best with 5-minute numbers is 32. ^^ using a 1-digit person system and her own memory palace.

31 August, 2016 - 20:13

Woah, Mayarra! You're ready for some memory competitions. You're head and shoulders above me in 5-min numbers. I'm only at about 160.

1 September, 2016 - 10:02

Haha only on numbers and cards though! All the other things are still as horrible as ever :P

The past few months I have been drilling numbers mainly, as they are quite important in my job and no matter how fast I could memorize them, it wasn't instantly so it felt too slow haha

20 September, 2016 - 08:27

Mayarra, 277 is awesome !!! I read in another thread you are building a 3 digit number system. Is that the system you used to memorize 277?

20 September, 2016 - 09:11

Quote:
Mayarra, 277 is awesome !!! I read in another thread you are building a 3 digit number system. Is that the system you used to memorize 277?

No not yet, I currently have about 800 of the 1000 images of a 3-digit system, so it is not very useful just yet. The numbers I do have images for, I do use in some everyday situations if possible, of course. the 277 is done with my 2-digit category system.

2 July, 2017 - 14:10

Personal Best is 100.

14 March, 2017 - 16:38

Did everyone see Alex Mullen's new speed cards score? 14.09 seconds!

14 March, 2017 - 19:55

Yes! Is that not incredible??? That is absolutely the fastest that any human can go. :-)

22 September, 2017 - 13:05

40 digits in 20 seconds I think that's is my best ever ...
using 00-99 major system

22 September, 2017 - 13:55

I'm curious about how much time takes Alex to see every image. About 0,30s?

Download our free ebook! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account, and we'll send you a free ebook with tips on how to get started.

Related content: