Populating a memory palace while reading

Download our free ebook! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account, and we'll send you a free ebook with tips on how to get started.

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 27 January, 2014 - 23:15

Populating a memory palace while reading

As i wrote in my bio, i have recently tested to do the note-taking straight to my memory palace while reading. Usually i use onenote for taking notes. However, i noticed that populating my memory palace with notes while reading, is slightly faster than reading & writing notes physically. Although it is not much faster, it has the advantage of almost 100% retention instantly. I mean, i dont have to study the notes later to remember them.

Some info:
- I am currently taking Microeconomics at saylor.org. It was the coursebook for that course that i tried this on.
- Reading & note-taking speed = 280wpm including note-taking time.

Example (first 8 pages of the chapter):
Before i began reading chapter 2 of "Principles of Microeconomics" i decided that i would try to take notes in my memory palace, instead of in my OneNote software. The chapter name is "Confronting Scarcity: Choices in Production" and these are my notes i make while i read (not static until i finished the subheading). "i walk up to my door and on the stairs i see a nugget (it is scarce) and a ring, neck-less and earring next to it (some items we can choose to produce from the nugget). Than i open the door and i see an airplane crashing towards me. And in the entrance hallway there is now airport security, and all the shoes and jackets that usually hangs there are now gone.
I walk into the kitchen an on the floor a small stone (micro-economy Mi.E.) and on the kitchen table i see a bigger stone (macro-economy, Ma.E), than my washing-machine which has the letters F.O.P (factors of production) on it. The washing machine = capital, water from the machine = natural resources, and my step mother (with a big brain) and 10 clones of my sister are taking out dishes = Labor (1 step mother = 10 sisters in human capital). My father (who is an entrepreneur) is the size of the Mi.E. stone (since entrepreneurs are a big factor in Mi.E.) and the microwave (technology important in both Mi.E & Ma.E) on a shelf over my mini father. Both the Microwave and my father are controlling my sisters and stepmother, washing machine and the water."
Of course these images brings up some other stuff the chapter talks about as well, but it would take to long to write about it all.

My reading speed the first 8 pages were 320 wpm. And my comprehension a lot better than it normally is. Without visualize it like this, i would a problems to connect that the technology and entrepreneurs where "controlling" the F.O.P, which probably is the most important thing in these 8 pages. So, when i made up these images how my father was controlling my stepmother while she was taking out dishes really made me better understand the concept. Why i read faster was probably because i didn't re-read a sentence even once, probably because i was more focused.

I hope i could get some feedback on this system. Anyone else tried to do something similar (populating the palace while reading). Since this is a completely new technique for me there has to be at least some improvements that can be done. Also i am afraid i am going to run out of space in my house, 8 pages basically occupied the entrance and half the kitchen. The book is well over 500 pages!!

28 January, 2014 - 00:44
Iam
Iam's picture

Great. I take notes on the fly too. I use a System called LCDFrames to internalize it forever.
Which speed reading book(s) helped you the most. List them in order of superiority.

28 January, 2014 - 07:05

@IAM
Please explain LCDFrames. I googled it and found only photographic stuff!

@wayweary
I don't think I read so fast without taking notes! If you were using onenote, would the notes be more detailed or less?
Looks like size and complexity of memory palace could be limiting. (but what do I know!). Otherwise, your system sounds great!

28 January, 2014 - 07:18

Just use new palaces/journeys.

Some ideas: Video gaming maps, route to work/school/friends house, friendshouse/school/work, store you go to frequently, coffeeshop/gasstation, walk in the park, moviescenes/movietheater, you can even use google street view if you don't want to(or can't) leave the house, or some tv shows apparently explore houses. Or even people.

Good luck

Bateman

28 January, 2014 - 08:57

I googled LCD Frames as well, with no results. Not even "LCD Frames" + "memorize" gave any related results.

@IAM
Do you used this kind on note-taking while reading textbooks? How did you do with the retention? I mean, i feel kinda scared now after doing this for another chapter, suddenly there is a lot to lose. And if i lose it, there are no physical notes that could help me remember.
Ive read 2 speed reading books, but none are worth mentioning. I dint find the concept that good for text books, they talk about wpr's in the beginning ranging from 800-2000 to get you excited. I felt that while my wpm went up my retention declined. However there is one book that helped me go from 200wpr to 280-300 note taking included. I always include note taking bc that's what you usually do when reading text books.The name of that book was "Breakthrough Rapid Reading".

@gerrymo
I read on my Kindle DX, having it in a stand just in-front of my laptop. So i can easily write down notes just moving my hands behind the kindle. The notes would be much more detailed in onenote, this is probably why i read faster populating my mind palace. When i write notes, i write much more than necessary. Sometimes i feel that i am just noting down stuff for the "fun" of it, and in doing so losing the Authors red thread. This hasn't happen when i try this new method, it seems that i understand more. And because i understand more, i see the unimportant stuff between the lines which i now can skim.

@Bateman
Thanks for the tips, google maps sounds great i will experiment some with it. I dont like real places i usually go to or places i have been. Mostly because i would like to have some organization of where my info is. If i put micro-economy where i usually run where should i than put macro ec, business eco, etc. i want them close to each other. I actually solved this problem today while reading chapter 3. I feel like i can write info on my walls (today i put 3 graphs on one wall) which makes my house big enough. I am creating the house in SIMS by the way, so i can easily create another house close for related subjects.

6 April, 2016 - 23:10

As far as Iam and LCDFrames go, sadly, I think you guys have been duped. He is probably referring to Google Glass. That was a pretty popular item back when this was published. This is further supported by the words "internalized forever", meaning, backed-up to a cloud server. In other words, it doesn't really count, for reading and memorizing on the fly. He's reviewing (and possibly cheating).

Related content: