Physics Equations - 180+ - Video Inside

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 7 August, 2014 - 11:20

Physics Equations - 180+ - Video Inside

Hi,

Thank you all for this excellent website dedicated to memory retention. For fun, and out of curiosity, I made memory journey/palace/loci for four individual MCAT sections: Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Organic Chemistry. The journey includes formulas, facts, and additional information I thought was necessary for the MCAT. Here's a video of me reviewing 180+ physics equations. Because this was my first take on camera, I didn't realize I skipped 10 equations concerning standing waves and/or tubes until afterwards.

I can now "see" the equations and/or facts without hesitation, analyze the relationships clearly in my head, and move forward or backward without reservation. Although this may not work for everyone, I cannot begin to explain well I'm scoring now on practice MCAT tests. Specifically, I "see" the given variables, recognize the "concept" in question, and my mind immediately populates a list of facts, equations and/or relationships nec. to answer the question.

Hopefully this video will encourage others trying to memorize equations. P.S. I might post a video of me writing down 2000+ equations, facts, and/or biological systems within a few days.

It took me approx. three days to create the journey(s).

Apologize for the poor video editing skills. BTW, my wife thinks I'm going crazy!

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPRbXPqSb90

7 August, 2014 - 13:51
r30
r30's picture

Bravo!

I find your skills very intriguing. It's amazing that you managed to learn 180 equations (or was it 2000 facts?) within 3 days.

I have some questions too:
1. You said you placed all the equations in your apartment, but were the equations prememorized and you just placed them in the apartment?
2. Pre-memorized or not, what I'm more interested in is how you memorized an equation itself, could you describe the process of memorizing a single equation?

Thanks

7 August, 2014 - 14:40

Obviously I was familiar with most of the equations because of lecture and/or experience, but 1/3 of them were entirely new, but mainly derivatives of previously known equations. Since I placed them the most logical order (to me), I can now easily see the relationships between them!

7 August, 2014 - 14:46

Thanks! The video above is approx. 180+ equations specific to physics. Collectively I have approx. 2000 equations and/or facts memorized for the MCAT total.

Process specific to Physics:

1. Purchased and/or borrowed four different MCAT Physics Review books.
2. Copied all equations, minus duplicates from all four authors, directly onto flash cards.
3. I organized the flash cards in an order that made the most sense to me, i.e. topic, then equation order for that specific topic.
4. Labelled each card with a number, 1-180, thus preventing me from messing up the order before I construct my memory palace/loci.
5. Defined a path in my apartment, and systematically placed each equation on something and/or created an odd association.

BTW, I tried my best to maintain the equation as a whole and not break it down into individual words. I tried this initially, but it took way too much time.

Example:

I walk up to my door, where I see #1 (d=vt=1/2(Vi + V)*t painted on my front door in red paint.
Next, I grab my door handle where I immediately burn my hand. As I look at my palm, I see #2 (Vf = Vi + at) charred into my skin.
As soon as I open the door, my door alarm goes off. Instead of punching in the regular code, the alarm keypad will only accept #3 (d=Vi*t+1/2at^2) as a valid entry.
Excited I entered the correct code, the alarm initiated a bunch of flash cards to fall from the ceiling, where each card had #4 (d=Vf*t-1/2at^2) in pen. The card "fell" from the sky.
Knowing my wife loves it when I clean, I grab the broom from the washer closet (right next to the entry door) and sweep the cards off the floor. Hidden under the cards I see #5 (vf^2 = vi^2 +2ad) etched into the laminate flooring!
Next, I decided to check the washer for dirty clothes. As expected, I find three individual shirts in need of a wash: red, white and blue. The red one has #6 one it (t = sq 2d/a), the white one has #7 (v = sq 2ad) and the blue one has #8 on it (d = -vi*2/a.

As you can tell, I'm not breaking each variable into a specific word or thing. Rather, I'm simply able to link the whole equation on an object.

In college, I'd study/prepare in the same room I was expected to take an exam. However, I'd place the equations on specific objects in the room. Therefore, during a closed book physic test, for example, if I could not remember a specific concept (thus an underlying concept as defined by a specific equation), I'd survey the room briefly until I "see" that specific equation.

Funny story, one time during a proctored exam, the teacher asked me why I had a blank look on my face every once in a while during the test. I didn't want to get into the details, but I responded by telling him I placed an equation on the end of his nose, which helped me remember how his comb over reminded me of cilia in the respiratory tract. He was extremely confused and/or concerned, but didn't press me on it because I always had the highest grade in the class. Ha!

Now that I have "filed" the equations away in a systematic way, given a specific problem, I step into my palace and analyze each specific formula until I have all but one or two unknowns left. Next, as someone who subscribes to Occam's Razor, I generally go for the easiest and or most logical equation.

I've tutored numerous kids from all backgrounds in both Physics and Chemistry. From my experience, the hardest part of these two courses is knowing understanding in words what underlying equation the author is trying to present. Otherwise, you'll stare at four or five variables, not know exactly how to start, and get discourage and/or confused or defeated.

For me, linking the equations around the room and/or my apartment enables me to confidently example each equation, review the unknowns, and look any ambiguity left by the author.

Hope this helps?

P.S. It might seem overkill, but taking equations from four different authors really helps! Sometimes you'll see an equation presented one way vs. another way. Because of this, especially on the MCAT, if it is a simple question concerning Fbouy and they ask you what happens to the pressure of something if the area of a golf ball doubles, you may forget that F = P1 x A1, where area of a sphere equals 4pir^2. Therefore, it is all about proportions. . .

Or, for instance Power.

Power = W/t, because work equals F x d, Power = Fd/t, where F x (d/t) = F x v (where v = velocity).

From my experience, the author will give you a change in velocity, and the force, and then ask a question specific to power. Well, if you cannot or do not remember the above, then you'll stare into the book with anger, when F x v = W/t!

17 August, 2014 - 00:17

Very interesting! Thanks for posting your technique.

P.S., If you want, you can use Mathjax on the site. For inline, just surround equations with parentheses and put a backslash before each parenthesis. To put it on a new line use square brackets instead of parentheses. (cheatsheet)

Example, inline: \( d=vt+1/2at^2 \)

Or displayed:

\[ QP-PQ=\frac{ih}{2\pi} \]

27 December, 2014 - 08:33

Hi john ,
how did it go with your exams ,
You did a great job in the video and with the method , so first of all well done .
I have some questions please , you place the whole equation in one place slot , like placing the e = mc2 for example on the door . By this I understand that you memorize the equations without the aid of memory techniques really !
You have to memorize each equation symbols even (for my case ) when the equation is such complicated and long . So its basic flash card memorization through repeated review . Then you use journey method to make sure you remember 3 or 4 relative equations you use to solve a certain problem with each other .
That's what I understood from your explanation , correct me if I'm wrong .
Again good job and keep it up .

17 April, 2015 - 11:26

That is very interesting! Thanks for sharing it! I wanted to ask you something. I found that some times is a bit hard to remember things, for instance signs - or +, and it is very easy to get confused between both, so I had to create something to make them more different. How do you deal with this in your system because it looks like you are understanding the equations and linking them, however, some can be very very abstract, and long as well.

15 May, 2015 - 04:32

Hi!
I am preparing for examinations that are happening at the end of this year and I am very interested to know how you go about doing it using the memory technique. You mentioned that you made four individual MCAT sections: Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Organic Chemistry. I am just wondering how to go about doing it for these subjects and maybe geography, like how do you memorize facts or concepts using memory journey/palace/loci. Could you provide an example? Let say digestive systems in Biology? Thanks

16 May, 2015 - 02:42

I am doing locis now for my exams, it worked pretty well for physics, optics in medicine to be more precise, which contains also some biology. So, what I did was to store all necessary equations there, also difficult words. For the general study system, I use Ramon Campayo's system which is basically using a summary and a mind map of each chapter.

As an example, the first station of the optics subject was the door of my girlfriend's house. There was a drunk elephant (drunk with wine since wine is 'vino' in spanish, so I keep the v for the wine, also, the elephant was wearing a hat, I keep the H), so this way, I remembered E=hv, (v is the frequency, it sounds weird to me as well, but is the notation in my class notes, and the one that I had to apply in the exam, to follow the general convention.) and so on...

16 May, 2015 - 04:45

Thanks for your reply man!
I have not heard about the Ramon Campayo's system (which is in the book Maximize Your Memory I guess?) Will definitely read it and try it out.

16 May, 2015 - 14:46

Hey! I'm new and this is my first post. I am a physician though. I used visualization extensively in medical school (I drew cartoons). However, that was 24 years ago, and I had never heard of the memory palace which would have helped a lot.

Regarding memorizing formulas, I can offer a tip or two. One useful tip is to make the formula about a friend whom the formula somehow reminds you, ie. use a swimmer for a formula about fluids. If you know the friend's parents, use the parents as parentheses, ie. have the parents standing on either side of whatever is in parentheses. if there is a division part to the equation, put the dividend standing on the divisor.

17 May, 2015 - 09:56

Yes, I think that the English version is that one. However, I am not 100% sure that the book is the same, the one that I read is the spanish version which is called "Desarrolla una mente prodigiosa".

25 April, 2016 - 01:52
Roi
Roi's picture

For it's worth (probably nothing haha) I used different kinds of doors for parentheses, videogame weapons for signs (cross boomerang for plus, dagger for minus) and instead of division I use -1 degree, which is invisibility potion. Letters are images of people whose name starts with them - small and big versions. Haven't really tested it tho.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: