Phenomenal memory good or bad?

Hello,

What is this Programm about?
A lot of mnemnotechnics?

Is it good?
Has someone experience with it?

regards

21 July, 2012 - 13:23

Is that the same as the Giordano Memory System? Type "GMS" into the search box and there are some posts about it. I haven't used it, so I don't know much about it.

21 July, 2012 - 16:38

An extortionate amount of money for what can be learned for free, which teaches you in a roundabout way. Do not under any circumstances take this course.

You're right, Josh. The Phenomenal Memory course teaches participants the GMS. The course is basically techniques already known about, given different names and made to sound fancier and more complicated than it actually is. The Russian Doll method, for example, is just an altered form of Linking that we were discussing in another thread (that we decided was better called the story method). Elephant wearing a watch, watch is made of butter, the butter is... you just keep zooming in on the object to see what comes next, like a story without any plot to follow. Memorisation by ordinal numbers is like using a peg list, the chain method is like the Link method that hcc108 describes in the Link vs Loci thread, to distinguish it from the story method. The alphanumeric code they use to create "figurative codes" is just a stupidly complex Major system based around letters instead of phonetics and with a different code.

GMS is nothing new. It is a rehashing of old ideas done badly and taught for an extortionate price. Do not buy it.

Take this guy for example. It's a long, expensive, course. It takes him 3.5 months to complete, and a bit later he enters the Cambridge Memory Championships to achieve those scores? Nah pal. I'm achieving those scores after a month of training my memory (extremely lackadaisically) with no help other than a book to get me started that I got for an extremely cheap price and this forum. An intensive course that requires months of complete concentration and intense work should not yield worse results than an 18 year old kid sitting in his room lazily memorising numbers now and then while not taking his training very seriously.

The sheer fact that Ruslan operates on a web of dishonesty (what's with the dodgy refund policy?), and has made the GMS a registered trademark, focuses a lot of marketing time on criticising other writers of memory books and courses, attacking those who criticise the course, and uses a lot of pseudoscientific jargon is very telling. Especially how hostile Ruslan is about making people ditch EVERYTHING they may have learned from other people like O'Brien and Buzan, and focus on only using what he prescribes.

Praise of the phenomenal memory course doesn't seem to extend past the pmemory website itself, tbh. The emphasis and effort put into making people believe Ruslan is an honest, trustworthy, nice, friendly, helpful and intelligent guy is just more evidence how he is none of those things. Just like the Democratic Republic of Congo isn't in the slightest bit democratic.

I find the writing in this page to be pretty laughable, too. I know a French guy who has been learning English for less than a year who writes a lot better than that. I know the founder is supposed to be Russian (although he didn't necessarily write it), but surely with his master memory techniques and huge emphasis on professionalism he'd know not to make such errors, or at least get an English speaker to at least read a page for him before posting it on his website for the world to so.

There's so much that annoys me about this. I have to admit, though, that I haven't went through the 60 lessons myself. I've read the manual, I've read the free e-book they advertise, but I'd never waste my money on that course. A reinvention of already available techniques made more difficult and sold for an extortionate price. Ruslan hits me as someone only interested in peddling his scam, and I fully expect him to be a sociopath.

It's worth mentioning that here Ruslan links to an article with history of the school and system. After doing some research on the internet on the books cited in the article; the books don't seem to exist. Nor does the author. Note how he makes lots of sensationalist claims while remaining vague, like a horoscope, he talks about top universities but never names one. I certainly can't find any evidence of a Vladimir Korazenko being invited to top universities. A Russian scientist called Vladimir A. Korazenko, who supposedly wrote the GMS manual, and co-created the phenomenal memory course, doesn't seem to exist. The only people I've found with that name are random people on a Facebook-like website called vk.com.
The same is to be said for a co-author of another cited source, A.N Semin. The best I can find is a football/soccer player by the name of Alexander Semin. As for a co-author of two papers M.A Ziganov, there is/was an academic with that name, but it seems he is a Russian particle physicist who was active about 25 years ago.
I think the fact that the world-leading expert on memory improvement who designed the system and helped design the course doesn't even exist is all you need to know.

If you want a memory course, I suggest you check out Ron White's, or perhaps consider an audiobook like "Quantum Memory Power" from Dominic O'Brien.

Here's some reading for you:
Conversation about GMS and pmemory on Yahoo Groups, it looks like Boris Konrad and Simon Reinhard weigh in on the discussion. Patrick's experiences with the course emphasises what I mean about the dodgy refund policy. And that's only one of the things I thought were dodgy!

Have a look at this. Look familiar? Here's a blog post talking about the site. Here's a bit about the blog I just linked: http://magicpillnow.wordpress.com/about/

More ridiculous claims that are a bunch of sensationalised lies

Funnily enough, a search for Ruslan Mescerjakovs doesn't yield many answers either.

24 July, 2012 - 14:23

Hype wrote:

Do not under any circumstances take this course.

I could not have said it better.

24 July, 2012 - 16:24

Kinma wrote:
Hype wrote:

Do not under any circumstances take this course.

I could not have said it better.

Why??

ITs a good maybe best acummulation of the mnemno-technics in the net.
yes i cant find them for free but its a good collection of it?

so far right?!

1 August, 2012 - 14:23

Am i right?

It is a collection of all technics?

And it is a good collection of it?

regards

2 August, 2012 - 02:00

hanselder wrote:
Am i right?

It is a collection of all technics?

And it is a good collection of it?

regards

No.

Don't buy it. Seriously. Just buy a book, like You Can Have an Amazing Memory by Dominic O'Brien, or a Harry Lorayne book, or anything that is not this course.

2 August, 2012 - 09:05

Why do you guys think it is not worth it?

It is full of mnemno-technics??

And it works as far as i know it.

2 August, 2012 - 09:56

hanselder wrote:

If it works for you, great. Give it a go then. You can find it for free somewhere on the net =).

2 August, 2012 - 10:47

hanselder wrote:

Because it is $300 for badly taught techniques. There is seriously not a single new thing in this course. I literally made a massive post about why you shouldn't buy it up above.

Quote:

Yes it is. Absolutely full of them. The same techniques that have been around for ages, branded with a different name, and taught badly.

Quote:

It works in the same way that a Ford Fiesta works as an F1 car.

It's your money though, bro. Do whatever the hell you want with it. If the blatant lies, over-compensation, poorly constructed website with dodgy English, fake testimonies, and the fact that neither the creator of the school or the creator of the system seem to exist...if that isn't enough to put you off, go ahead.

I also just noticed that the price has been "slashed" by $100 and they have only had 9 courses left for well over a year now. Same with the testimonies; still the same.

2 August, 2012 - 11:53

Couldn't agree more!

2 August, 2012 - 11:57

you guys misunderstand my point.

I dont think it is an good programm or so.
I have that programm since 2 years.

i would not buy it if i had the info 2 years ago.

My question know is, what should i do, to update the newest programms or technics to get a great memory?

i have quantum memory as also ultimate memory.

Dont care about money so much.

Thx for help by the way.

regards

2 August, 2012 - 12:10

hanselder wrote:

My question know is, what should i do, to update the newest programms or technics to get a great memory?

Thx for help by the way.

regards

I see, there are some good things from it. One of them being the amount of exercises. What you can do is learn the basic techniques from other books, be it Dominic O'Brien's, Jonathan Hancock's, Tony Buzan's, Harry Lorayne's: Learn the Link method or story method, method of loci (Dominic O'Brien and Jonathan Hancock cover it very well), and pick a number system you like (eg. Major System, Ben System, or Dominic System: I would think Major System is the easier to master). Once you have covered those techniques and you would like more practice, feel free to go to PMemory exercises, do them using the proper principles (SMASHIN'SOPE etc, not the 'no story, no movement, everything same size' crap).

Just keep in mind that, a lot of times, the simplest explanation is the best explanation.

4 techniques you really need: Link/story, Loci system, number system, symbolization of abstract ideas

2 August, 2012 - 12:27

hcc108 wrote:
hanselder wrote:

Thx for help by the way.

regards

I see, there are some good things from it. One of them being the amount of exercises. What you can do is learn the basic techniques from other books, be it Dominic O'Brien's, Jonathan Hancock's, Tony Buzan's, Harry Lorayne's: Learn the Link method or story method, method of loci (Dominic O'Brien and Jonathan Hancock cover it very well), and pick a number system you like (eg. Major System, Ben System, or Dominic System: I would think Major System is the easier to master). Once you have covered those techniques and you would like more practice, feel free to go to PMemory exercises, do them using the proper principles (SMASHIN'SOPE etc, not the 'no story, no movement, everything same size' crap).

Just keep in mind that, a lot of times, the simplest explanation is the best explanation.

4 techniques you really need: Link/story, Loci system, number system, symbolization of abstract ideas

Appreciate it.
Thx men. Helped me alot.

Have a nice day.

29 August, 2012 - 15:21

Hey everyone, nice to meet like-minded individuals who wanna grasp huge amount of information
i'm medical student at senior year but i find diffcult time to memorize diseases and there complications some times i forget some times i mix them up and some times i waste alot of the time on memorizing few concepts !!!!
and i had experiment with phenomenal memory the last year i finished 18 lessons , i read josh four book which is talk about memory palace concept cicero like method .
the bottom line is this techniques workable or not on memorizing text books like what he claimed pmemory's owner ?
if so i like what hcc108 just said i find it better than using more complex techniques in pmemory

if it does n,t work any advice from where i should start my journey on learning memorization techniques
and if it possible to memorize text book (my goal ) not word by word but get it the whole concept in each subject ?

best regards invin

6 October, 2012 - 19:44

I had a bad feeling about "phenomenal memory" so thanks for all the feedback posted here. As a side comment,
I too have gotten burned with programs which are virtually worthless such as Kevin Treudeau's "mega memory". There are others too on this link: http://www.mindperk.com/Mind.htm some of which seem like more of the same.

So far it appears the two best choices will be Ron White's "Memory in a month" or Dominic O'brien's "quantum memory power" (an unrealistic name, I guess he does not realize quanta is a small, discreet quantity). Any ideas or recommendations will be appreciated!

6 October, 2012 - 20:04

There are some more ideas on my memory books reading list. :)

My brother had a copy of Kevin Treudeau's "mega memory" when I was younger. I wish I had at least tried it back then -- maybe I would have gotten into mnemonics earlier.

I haven't really looked at Memory in a Month (or GMS) closely yet...

7 October, 2012 - 01:17

Hi everyone,

Do we agree that there are enough efficient methods around that are available for free (i.e. for the price of a book) to simply consider posts about paying methods as undesirable ?

If so, what about taking advantage of the site upgrade to implement netiquette rules one of which could integrate the previous statement ?

There could then be two ways to deal with such posts: either the moderator closes or removes the post (but this may be a bit harsh) or another solution would be to create a forum section dedicated to paying methods, and any post advocating for a paying method would be moved into this section (which could be seen as a black hole, where posts will die, through lack of interest by other forum members) ?

Btw, Josh, there is also something that really helps creating friendly links between members: add a rule into the netiquette saying that people should sign using their real first name (Pierre rather than Zaphod, or FingerInTheNose ;) ) and indicate in their profile in which country / which city they live (this will help creating local networks, which will speed diffusion and refinement of memory techniques).

All this is, of course, open to debate.

Pierre

7 October, 2012 - 09:54

Zaphod wrote:
All this is, of course, open to debate.

I'll reply over in the website upgrades thread in a few minutes. I'm making my to-do list from that thread. :)

7 October, 2012 - 12:00

I've just moved a lot of the posts about products and books to the Book Reviews and Product Discussion section, including this thread.

28 February, 2014 - 19:50

Those are very poor words particularly when you admit the system works. Those are communist thinking.

1. A person can charge whatever they like. You do not control how much they charge. The only control is the customer : whether they will or will not pay.

2. The person can and should and must hype as much as possible: it is competition and that man has wiped you out of ever (e-v-e-r, e'ver) selling memory. He has conquered the memory market becoming a multi-millionaire.

3. His aim is not to talk and sell to "Academics" because if that was his aim then he would be as (with great respect) p*** poor as you are or most others are in the memory world.

4. He did and should copyright GMS . That is prudent in business.

5. The fact that someone has taken his course and performed poorly compared to you the so-called lazy person has no statistical validity whatsoever. Once again - you criticise him for being "pseudo-scientific" yet you are yourself worse than (with respect) pseudo-scientific as there is "no science" in what you propose to advance your "ad hominnem" fallacious argument to discredit an amazing marketer.

In sum total: if you agree his system works then it is very poor taste to criticise an out-stand-ing marketer that promotes a system: that frankly works. Period.

1 March, 2014 - 00:40

Hi Beryl,

Did you actually read this thread?

Hype wrote:

It works in the same way that a Ford Fiesta works as an F1 car.

So does it work?
No!

2 March, 2014 - 13:22

There is no doubt the GMS methods works. The only point is LOCI is faster and better. But that does not mean that someone can not sell GIURDANO BRUNO'S methods to smash "memory sellers and champs" in business.

The GMS man is very prudent by leap-frogging all other Memory sellers in every way possible. The end results are "Financial" - who makes the most ? Today it is GMS.

3 March, 2014 - 11:01

I've never really looked closely at GMS, so I don't know much about it, but let's not spend too much time talking about the quality of memory systems based on financial success. There is a lot of snake oil in the "personal improvement" industry, so income is not necessarily a good measure of quality. :)

Personally, I do things because I like the ideas behind them, not because of money. I wouldn't recommend choosing one memory system over another due to the creator's financial successes or failures.

I'd rather keep the conversations focused on merits and drawbacks of specific techniques.

Thanks! :)

3 March, 2014 - 22:24

I am trained as a scientist. I am also a raving fan of personal development. I have never found a "snake oil" even though so many insist there are snake oil. Please be specific - which product"S" are snake oil ?

I will show you that most likely they are not - certainly no more than any 'memory' system like Dominic,Buzan, World Memory Champs etc. - meaning none of this snake oil but if they are... then they are all.

4 March, 2014 - 11:00

I don't really want to debate the personal development industry here. There are many good things in "personal development", but also many highly questionable things. Most people want to improve their lives in some way, and there are people out there who won't hesitate to take advantage of that. So I'm not impressed by how much money any particular product makes -- only about whether it's useful.

I'm not going to call out specific products, except I can link to a page where I've already commented about one that seems to make highly questionable claims. Here is another guy who is making claims about reading at 100,000 words a minute, with the books upside down. Companies like that make money, but I'm highly skeptical about their effectiveness. :)

The forum is a friendly place for people to share their experiences with memory techniques and to meet like-minded people. Instead of having this debate, why not a new thread and tell us about your interest in memory techniques? What are you memorizing? What techniques do you use? Are you planning to compete and/or do you use the techniques for studying? How did you discover memory techniques? Start a new thread and let us know... :)

23 September, 2014 - 18:54

I know that Pmem is a polarizing subject, but do you think phenomenal memory is worth completing the course if you have already purchased it? I bought it a number of years ago, and haven't gone through the course. Call me a sucker, but I'm in a position where I can go through it, if I like, or explore other options.

My concern is that I don't want to learn an "inferior" (if that's the right word) system. I'd like to learn a system with proven efficacy, results and is broadly accepted as a good system. Perhaps that means I should go through the resources provided here and learn things that way. The other side of me says that results are results regardless of the method used. I will say that there are a few niceties with the course which I haven't found elsewhere. The biggest draw to Pmem is the fact that courses are made and ready for a student to work through them. I don't need to conjure up lists of random items to remember in order to train.

23 September, 2014 - 21:14

If you look at the top memory competitors, there are a variety of methods they use to achieve their goals

Ben system (2700 images based on a consonant-vowel-consonant system)
PAO system
100 image system based on major mnemonic system
1000 image system based on major mnemonic system
10000 image system based on major mnemonic system

Info on all the above can be found using a search on this website
If pmemory teaches any of the above, you should be fine

24 September, 2014 - 00:44

raykidwell wrote:
If pmemory teaches any of the above, you should be fine

It doesn't.

27 October, 2014 - 08:45

It's very funny when people discuss a course they've never completed.
There are many messages here that pmemory contains materials that you can find in the internet for free and you are somewhere right, but the main advantage you get when you buy this course is that all the information there is designed methodically for you, you get constant support and guidance during the whole course and, what is most important, you get practical exercises. You don't just pay for the access to the information, you pay for a carefully constructed and well thought-out course, that gives you the opportunity to improve your memory in the quickest and smartest way.

A very good comparison can be done with working in the gym. You can have a lot of theoretical lessons with pictures and explanation what to do but you can't get beautiful and strong body without exercising.

One more proof that pmemory is not a scam is video of Mattias Ribbing that completed pmemory course and become Grand Master of Memory:
https://www.bulletproofexec.com/mastering-memory-with-mattias-ribbing-po...

30 October, 2014 - 10:58

There is a free ebook offered on the pmemory site that contains most of the techniques from the first 4 or 5 lessons.

Download our free ebook! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account, and we'll send you a free ebook with tips on how to get started.

Related content: