New Member: Blindfold Cuber with Interest in Mnemonics

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 1 March, 2015 - 23:00

New Member: Blindfold Cuber with Interest in Mnemonics

Hey people,

I'm Jeremy Lindsay, and I am currently 14 years old, from Sydney, Australia.

I found the artofmemory.com forums, as well as www.memocamp.com through a link on www.memory-sports.com, and here I am.

My interest in mnemonics started from my interest in solving Rubik's Cubes blindfolded. One of the main difficulties of solving a Rubik's Cube blindfolded is the memorisation, which is why I'm here. You memorise the cube, put on the blindfold, solve the cube, take off the blindfold and voila, the cube is (hopefully) solved. Now being able to solve cubes blindfolded has got almost nothing to do with intelligence; all you need is a bit of effort and some experience with Rubik's Cubes to be able to solve a Rubik's Cube blindfolded. To prove that I will attempt to explain the general idea behind the methods cubers use to solve their cubes blindfolded, to show you that it's rather simple:

Each turn of a cube affects many pieces at once, which to a non-cuber might seem very annoying. In blindfold cubing there is a special way to only ever swap 2 or 3 pieces at the same time. First, I assign a letter to each of the 24 'stickers' on the cube, from A to X. Then I see where one of them needs to go: let's say, for example, the sticker that's in position A right now belongs in position T, and the sticker in T belongs in U, and U in P, etc. What I do is just keep swapping, swapping, swapping, until the cube is solved. So before I put on my blindfold I remember a string of letters, like ATUP, if you're still following my previous example. In the end, though, I might end up with something like this:

AT UP NS MD // and // JL OB AS RV ET

As you can see, I've split the letters up into pairs. I can further encode this into:

[He] ATe [it] UP [with his] NoSe [and got] MaD // and // JoeL [plays his] OBoe AS [he] RaVes [about] E.T.

So that's it for memorising a standard 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube. But recently I've been interested in solving bigger cubes, for example the 5x5x5 cubes, blindfolded. Now the memorisation for the 3x3x3 can be remember in two sentences like above, but for a 5x5x5 there is a lot more to memorise and that's why I'm here - to learn about the Art of Memory so that I can remember a lot more information, and encoding and decoding that information as fast as possible.
-----
Apart from cubing, I also have done 6 speed cards attempts, 3 of which were successful, my best time being 15 minutes for memorisation only. I used an encoding system I 'invented,' called MSS (might post about that later), with 2 images per locus. I now store 3 images per locus. I also have done some digit memorisation, with my own Major System. Cards and digits (not binary...yet) are the only disciplines I'm really interested in at the moment, and even then I haven't practised them much at all. I hope to be sub-5 in speed cards by the end of the year.
-----
The last thing is scripture. I developed a 'retrieval system' for memorising scripture (which I might also post about sometime), although I haven't even memorised a single chapter yet (I'm working on Romans right now). If you tell me "quote Romans 1:12" I can retrieve the correct verse and give it back to you. I'm trying to memorise the Bible word-for-word, but this is will be a lifetime thing so I'm prepared to put a lot of effort and time into it. I'm using the NKJV version.
-----
I'm looking forward to becoming part of the artofmemory.com community!

~JemFish

2 March, 2015 - 05:47

Hey, welcome to the forums. I just joined recently, and I'm also a speedcuber (rybaby on speedsolving forums). I'm mostly into speed cards (outside of cubing), but I'm sure my interests will expand. I'm developing a Dominic System list for this. Can you do 5BLD? I've done 4BLD before and will try 5BLD soon.
good luck

2 March, 2015 - 16:04

I think I've seen you on the speedsolving.com forums. I'm also mostly into speed cards, outside of cubing, but I'm not very serious about it. I don't really have interest in 4x4 speed or 4BLD, so I'm trying to get a 5BLD success before my first 4BLD success.

2 March, 2015 - 19:33

But I think 4BLD gives you a good base for 5BLD. The only reason I haven't tried 5BLD is my laziness to learn the midge parity (which seems quite easy; I'll learn it soon). I'm not experienced in BigBLD, but it seems like 4BLD is a very useful step to 5BLD since it uses almost all the same concepts; it's just more information (and midge parity). But I suppose it would be cool to get a 5BLD success before a 4BLD one. Too late for me now :P Reminds me of what Mike Hughey did with 7x7 -- he got his first 7BLD success before doing an ordinary 7x7 sighted (even when he DNFed, he fixed the pieces later with comms). Though once you get 4BLD and 5BLD consistent, it makes sense to practice mostly 5BLD -- it's what Marcell Endrey used to do since 5BLD skills improve 4BLD. Keep me posted on how you do!
Ryan

2 March, 2015 - 20:30

The reason I know how to solve a 5x5 blindfolded is because I learnt to solve a 4x4 blindfolded, just without a success. So I basically I have sort of learnt 4BLD, and have done wings/corners/centres separately.

Also, I want to get my first 6x6 and up success blindfolded, like Mike Hughey. I've also been inspired my Roman Strakhov and his interest in (very) big cubes. (Has anyone blindsolved a 13x13 before? If not, I'm going to be the first...)

2 March, 2015 - 20:41

No, the highest anyone has done BLD is 9x9 I believe. If anyone would do bigger than that, it would be Roman imo. He just has the drive now that he's back into cubing as well as the skill at bigBLD. He tried a 10x10 before but DNFed. I think it will be a long time before anyone tries a 13x13 though. Half the battle is being able to hold and turn the thing.
As for me, I'm sticking with official events for now. One step at a time. My next try for bigBLD won't be till US nats, so I have quite a bit of time.

4 March, 2015 - 02:08

BLD takes a lot of patience, yes. I myself am finding trouble just sitting down and memoing a 5x5. I want to hold all Australian NRs for BLD by the time I'm 16 (probably excluding MBLD).

Did you hear about Roman's recent 2-7BLD relays? One time he got all of them right except for the 3x3 which must have been very frustrating.

18 May, 2016 - 20:11

I'm learning to blind solve too. Starting with basic OP for now. I used to memorize lots of Scripture too, using rote memorization. Might be interesting to see how it goes with there be techniques.

Download our free ebook! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account, and we'll send you a free ebook with tips on how to get started.

Related content: