My method to memorize a 500 page book verbatim.

48 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 30 January, 2015 - 08:29

My method to memorize a 500 page book verbatim.

Hello! I am a 4th year student at Computer Systems Engineering in Athens and I am 22 years old. I will tell you my story about memory and how I found the absolute method to memorize everything even if it is a 500 page book, just by reading it once!

When I was in my 1st Semester, one day I was really bored. So I asked my mother to give me an idea to watch a movie. She
suggested me to watch Criminal Minds. In Criminal Minds there is a character called Dr Reid. This character is an absolute genius! From the first episode (if I remember corectly) he stated that he reads 20 000 words per minute, he has an eidetic memory and he has an IQ of 187!

From there on that was my fuel for a 4 year constant research about all these things!

First of all, I started searching about IQ. I wanted to know what my IQ was and how to increase it to reach Dr Reid's IQ :P I searced about brain's health, how the brain works, healthy foods for my brain and body, Brain Supplements, Smart Drugs, Nootropics, Image Streaming, Dual n Back and simillar things. I read a lot of articles and books about all this stuff.

Then I started researching about Speed Reading. I learned and read a lot about Speed Reading, Photoreading, Mental Photography (ZOX Pro Training) and subliminal dynamics, EYEQ software and other similar softwares. I lost a lot of time about all these things! I fortunatelly, thank GOD, did not loose any money. I knew how to find all this nonsense for free (hehe!). Ok I really believe in Speed Reading 1000 words per minute because I did it. But come on! Photoreading? ZOXing?
And they tell you that you will remember photographically everything! That is nonsense.

After that, I started researching about memory. That really was and still is my favorite subject! I learned about eidetic memory, photographic memory, working memory, highly superior autobiographical memory, and then I reached to the Mnemonics. I read Ron White's book, Tony Buzan's books, Joshua Foer's book, Harry Lorayne's books, and Dominic O' Brien's books, who by the way is my favorite. And my favorite book about memory is of course Dominc O'Brien's and it is the "How to Develope A Perfect Memory". I also like a lot his Quantum Memory Power course!

And now to our subject! After reading his book I started searching and thinking about how to use all the techniques I have learned, to memorize really big things, such as a 500 page book verbatim.
I searched a lot! I found some really interesting techniques! I also found this forum and by typing "verbatim" in the search bar I again found some really interesting techniques. But they just didn't fit for my mind! I mean they were right but something importand was missing! I thought I thought I thought a lot and I discovered that the really big and serious problem about how to use mnemonics for verbatim is 1st how to make abstract words into meaningful images and 2nd and
maybe the most importand how to get limitless yet different and memorable and from your imagination Memory Palaces!!!
I again searched a lot and I thought A LOT. I reached to the conclusion that something very importand was missing here again.

Then I thought that I cannot loose time searching anymore. I had seen and discovered anything, any method that there is out there and all these methods were great, but....

So I said to my self that I will thing a way to combine all these methods and achieve what I want. I just did it my life's
purpose. And then it hit me! Below is my method. But first let me know if you are interested writting me a comment. I have not yet tried this method. I discovered it today that I want to learn a lesson for my exams in 3 days. I just had to discover something. I didn't know that it would be today :D I am really happy. But, because I don't wanna loose time about my exams and because I first have to think about, how to explain, please, give me a little time and fuel with your comments to explain to you.

Thanks for your time! To be continued..... :)

UPDATE:

First of all, I will tell you how I solved the problem of making abstract words into images.
The solution is that using the Dominic System I made a Letter System. What I mean? Let's take for example Dominic O'Briens list (my list is not good for a forum. I have a lot of familly members inside that you don't know) . What I made was associating the 24 Greek letters (because I am from Greece) and the 26 English letters, with my first 24 and 26 Dominc System's images, starting from image 01. So here it goes:

00 = Olive Oyl
Α,A = 01 = Ossie Ardiles
Β,B = 02 = Otto (von) Bismark
Γ,C = 03 = Oliver Cromwell
Δ,D = 04 = Otto Dix
Ε,E = 05 = Old Etonian
Ζ,F = 06 = .......
Η,G = 07 = .......
Θ,H = 08 =.......
Ι,I = 09 = .......
Κ,J = 10 = .......
Λ,K = 11 = .......
Μ,L ............

Second, I wanted to solve the problem of how to quickly and as easily as possible create limitless Memory Palaces with limitless Locis. Below I made an image that I explain my method. I don't know if there is something similar somewhere else, and so I named it "The Loci Network System". I hope you like it :-)

Method of loci system

A good method to navigate into this network is seeing it as levels. In our case you start from the pink level with the order 1 - 100. You continue with the second level, green, which has 1000 Locis. You start 1 - 100 and then again 1 - 100. If you afraid that there will be same combinations you can use Major System too. But I don't think it can happen often.

Lets take for example the combinations [1.1 - 1.10], [2.11 - 2.20], ...... [10.91 - 10.100]. Then it continues [11.1 - 11.10] which is different from [1.1 - 1.10]. If you make it every 100 in the green level, it goes like that: [1.1 - 10.100], [11.1 - 20.100].......
[91.1 - 100.100] and you reached the 1,000th (Last) Loci of green level.

If you test it for the third level which is the orange Memory Palace it goes like that: [1.1.1 - 1.1.10], [1.2.11 - 1.2.20],
[1.3.21 - 1.3.30]......[1.10.91 - 1.10.100]. Every 100 Loci : [1.1.1 - 1.10.100], [2.11.1 - 2.20.100], [3.21.1 - 3.30.100].......
.....[10.91.1 - 10.100.100], [11.1.1 - 11.10.100]......[100.91.1 - 100.100.100] and you reached the 10,000th (Last) Loci of orange level.

Every 1,000 Loci: [1.1.1 - 10.100.100], [11.1.1 - 20.100.100], ..... [91.1.1 - 100.100.100] and you reached the 10,000th (Last) Loci of orange level.

30 January, 2015 - 08:37

That clickbait title... :)

Interested in hearing the rest, even if I don't believe speedreading works as well as some claim. From what I remember, some photographic memory lessons teach you to read the table of contents first, then skim over the whole book. Then, when you want to find some information, you open the book to the right spot. It's basically looking for keywords in the place where in the book the answer would be.

Bateman

Note: Deleted your double post. You haven't tried the method yet?

30 January, 2015 - 08:40

Haha yeah! :) Thanks a lot for your comment! I will soon tell my method. I wanna first try it tonight.

30 January, 2015 - 08:53

I don't know how to delete my post. Please tell me. No I haven't tried it yet. However I am 99 % sure it will work for me and for everyone. In a nutshell, my method is a perfect combination of Memory Palace method and Dominic System or the PAO (I think you can do it with both) systems. I just want time. I will write a complete tutorial, but not today. Please tell me how can I delete a post and how can I edit my posts. Thank you!

30 January, 2015 - 10:26

There is a button on the bottom of each comment that says "Edit". To edit the post, there's a button right above it. I think you should be able to delete it from there. Or if you want, I could delete it for you. Just tell me exactly what it is you want deleted.

Bateman

30 January, 2015 - 11:03

OK I found it. Thank you Bateman!

SKard

30 January, 2015 - 11:21

I am so happy with this method that I cannot concentrate to my exams! Hahaha! Do you believe that? :D I am not cheating. I haven't seen or read something similar. Even if you needed to memorise 1 000 000 words verbatim you could literally do it with this system. When I show you my system you will understand and if there is the same system anywhere else please tell me!

SKard

30 January, 2015 - 15:09
r30
r30's picture

I've had 100 times the inspiring feeling that I've finally figured out what disease is causing my symptoms, and how to treat it. Every time 100% sure it will work. And when I later test it, only like handful of times my theory was proved to have some truth in it. But none of the times a true solution.
So, SKard, don't be disappointed if the system you're so enthusiastic about doesn't turn out to have this unbelivable outcome (which by my experience I'm 99% sure it won't). And please, test it before stating that it is 'absolute method'.

31 January, 2015 - 02:57

Today I will make the tutorial. Do I have to publish it as an answer in the end of the posts? Or as an answer below my first post?

SKard

31 January, 2015 - 06:09

I'm interested in hearing your technique.

I would suggest that you just reply to the thread. You can always edit the first post to link to the method too.

31 January, 2015 - 06:13

SKard wrote:

First of all, I will tell you how I solved the problem of making abstract words into images.
The solution is that using the Dominic System I made a Letter System. What I mean? Let's take for example Dominic O'Briens list (my list is not good for a forum. I have a lot of familly members inside that you don't know) . What I made was associating the 24 Greek letters (because I am from Greece) and the 26 English letters, with my first 24 and 26 Dominc System's images, starting from image 01. So here it goes:

00 = Olive Oyl
Α,A = 01 = Ossie Ardiles
Β,B = 02 = Otto (von) Bismark
Γ,C = 03 = Oliver Cromwell
Δ,D = 04 = Otto Dix
Ε,E = 05 = Old Etonian
Ζ,F = 06 = .......
Η,G = 07 = .......
Θ,H = 08 =.......
Ι,I = 09 = .......
Κ,J = 10 = .......
Λ,K = 11 = .......
Μ,L ............

Second, I wanted to solve the problem of how to quickly and as easily as possible create limitless Memory Palaces with limitless Locis. Below I made an image that I explain my method. I don't know if there is something similar somewhere else, and so I named it "The Loci Network System". I hope you like it :-)

http://i57.tinypic.com/33f5b2h.png

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

What?

31 January, 2015 - 06:13

Thank you! I updated my first post.

SKard

31 January, 2015 - 06:14

So you're saying you can easily memorize 1,000,000 words with a one letter system?

31 January, 2015 - 06:15

sorry, i would just like an explanation of the memory palace system again

31 January, 2015 - 06:28

superej68 wrote:
sorry, i would just like an explanation of the memory palace system again

With this method you can use the same 3 Memory Palaces to make 11,100 Locis. Or the same 5 Memory Palaces to make 1,111,100 Locis. What makes the difference here, between each same Palace, is its address. See it as a lot of different stories in the same Palace. How you remember the information here is that each time you connect the address (story) with what you wanna remember.

31 January, 2015 - 06:35

have you tried that? Memorizing multiple things in the same location never ends well

31 January, 2015 - 06:38

superej68 wrote:
So you're saying you can easily memorize 1,000,000 words with a one letter system?

No. I am saying that you can easily memorize 1,000,000 words using the 5 same Memory Palaces. The letter system is just to help you make images from abstract words easily. For example if you want to make an image for the word "the", you take each letter separately and you make it an image. Then you combine these images together making a story or something and that story is your image for the abstract word "the"

31 January, 2015 - 06:45

superej68 wrote:
have you tried that? Memorizing multiple things in the same location never ends well

Yes, I know that. The point here is to make a good story to remember the address and then connect that story with the information inside the palace. That makes the Palace different each time. For example you remember thousands of stories and informations that happened in your home. It still is the same memory Palace but you don't get frustrated. The secret here is time. It is the same Palace but in different times. The same is with my method. That is the reason you make a story from the address and connect it to your information. With this way you add the variable "time" in your Palace. Yes it works.Today I am memorizing my notes for my exams. I like this method a lot!

31 January, 2015 - 08:00
r30
r30's picture

SKard wrote:
The absolute method to memorize a 500 page book verbatim 'in no time'...
...The point here is to make a good story to remember the address and then connect that story with the information inside the palace...
Your example: If you wanna remember that cat is in that Loci you just connect the IP with that cat.

Let's say there is 8 words per line, 40 lines per page, and as you said 500 pages. In that book is 8*40*500=160,000 words.
If you are going to make stories to connect loci, and the word is CAT you want to memorize, and its IP address is 0.0.0.0 (first word in the book) then images are:

1. 0 (first locus)
  2. 0 (2nd locus)
  3. 0 (3rd locus)
  4. 0 (4th locus)
  5. cat

Now you have to link these 5 images together. That would take you on average something like 20 seconds (because lots of words are abstract). 20*160,000=3,200,000 s = 888 hours = 37 days, now add the sleeping time 6 hours per day, we get something like 50 days to memorize one book. This is 'no time'? Not to mention that you've forgotten 90% of the stories by the second day, if you don't review.

31 January, 2015 - 09:49

A good method to navigate into this network is seeing it as levels. In our case you start from the pink level with the order 1 - 100. You continue with the second level, green, which has 1000 Locis. You start 1 - 100 and then again 1 - 100. If you afraid that there will be same combinations you can use Major System too. But I don't think it can happen often.

Lets take for example the combinations [1.1 - 1.10], [2.11 - 2.20], ...... [10.91 - 10.100]. Then it continues [11.1 - 11.10] which is different from [1.1 - 1.10]. If you make it every 100 in the green level, it goes like that: [1.1 - 10.100], [11.1 - 20.100].......
[91.1 - 100.100] and you reached the 1,000th (Last) Loci of green level.

If you test it for the third level which is the orange Memory Palace it goes like that: [1.1.1 - 1.1.10], [1.2.11 - 1.2.20],
[1.3.21 - 1.3.30]......[1.10.91 - 1.10.100]. Every 100 Loci : [1.1.1 - 1.10.100], [2.11.1 - 2.20.100], [3.21.1 - 3.30.100].......
.....[10.91.1 - 10.100.100], [11.1.1 - 11.10.100]......[100.91.1 - 100.100.100] and you reached the 10,000th (Last) Loci of orange level.

Every 1,000 Loci: [1.1.1 - 10.100.100], [11.1.1 - 20.100.100], ..... [91.1.1 - 100.100.100] and you reached the 10,000th (Last) Loci of orange level.

31 January, 2015 - 10:08

r30 wrote:
SKard wrote:
The absolute method to memorize a 500 page book verbatim 'in no time'...
...The point here is to make a good story to remember the address and then connect that story with the information inside the palace...
Your example: If you wanna remember that cat is in that Loci you just connect the IP with that cat.

Let's say there is 8 words per line, 40 lines per page, and as you said 500 pages. In that book is 8*40*500=160,000 words.
If you are going to make stories to connect loci, and the word is CAT you want to memorize, and its IP address is 0.0.0.0 (first word in the book) then images are:

1. 0 (first locus)
  2. 0 (2nd locus)
  3. 0 (3rd locus)
  4. 0 (4th locus)
  5. cat

Now you have to link these 5 images together. That would take you on average something like 20 seconds (because lots of words are abstract). 20*160,000=3,200,000 s = 888 hours = 37 days, now add the sleeping time 6 hours per day, we get something like 50 days to memorize one book. This is 'no time'? Not to mention that you've forgotten 90% of the stories by the second day, if you don't review.

Haha. For that reason I have "no time" in quotes "". But again, think about it. It's no time, if you think that for me, for example, if I had to memorize a 500 page book I would have done that in 2 years and not 50 days, with the traditional rote methods. Also, nobody said, that you will not have to review again something, that is for long term memory, with whatever method you memorize it. For example if you memorize a pack of cards in 24 seconds, you will remember it for 1 day. But of course if you want it long term memorized you will again have to review it.

Note: if the first word is CAT its address will be just 0. Not 0.0.0.0 You can use every bit of that network. Nobody limits you. Also if you can easily make 10 different stories with 0.0.0.0 or 36.36.36.36 you will have greater probability of remembering the info.

31 January, 2015 - 10:09
r30
r30's picture

Loci Network
This graph and your calculation is impossibly hard to understand.

Why is there only 20 loci shown, when you should have 4*10=40 loci total (4 memory palaces, 10 loci each).
Why are there blue loci (from 4th memory palace?) numbered 1-20, it only has 10 loci.
I must be misinterpreting something here. Are these random numbers associated with the loci?
And why are there only 4 loci in your IP address, you can also move left too from the first locus in your address ("1"), and select maximally 4 more loci. Did you pick 3 random loci that are connected to the "7" through that line? Why are the loci organized in that way they are in your graph?

31 January, 2015 - 11:02
r30
r30's picture

r30 wrote:
...we get something like 50 days to memorize one book. This is 'no time'? Not to mention that you've forgotten 90% of the stories by the second day, if you don't review.

SKard wrote:
Haha. For that reason I have "no time" in quotes "". But again, think about it. It's no time, if you think that for me, for example, if I had to memorize a 500 page book I would have done that in 2 years and not 50 days, with the traditional rote methods.

You left completely different expression in your first post:
SKard wrote:
After the method I reveal you, you will just not need Speed Reading or anything simillar to learn anything!! You will literally read something with your nice and normal speed and memorize it on the fly.

20 seconds for one word is reading with normal speed?

31 January, 2015 - 11:12

r30 wrote:
Loci Network

Why is there only 20 loci shown, when you should have 4*10=40 loci total (4 memory palaces, 10 loci each).
Why are there blue loci (from 4th memory palace?) numbered 1-20, it only has 10 loci.
I must be misinterpreting something here. Are these random numbers associated with the loci?
And why are there only 4 loci in your IP address, you can also move left too from the first locus in your address ("1"), and select maximally 4 more loci. Did you pick 3 random loci that are connected to the "7" through that line? Why are the loci organized in that way they are in your graph?

Answer: I did not make the whole graph because it would be huge and the circles would overlap one another.

Answer: What? No. The graph shows 1 pink, 10 green, 20 orange and 20 purple = 51 Locis (They are more. The graph shows just 51. I just want to understand the idea behind it, not to make the whole graph).

Answer: I think you just reversed it in your mind. Take the pink for example: We call it the pink memory palace. This palace has 10 Loci. Now imagine that the first person with number 00 comes and sits in the midle of the palace. Then imagine that the 2nd person with number 01 comes and sits in the midle of the palace. And so it goes with all 100 persons. BUT BE CAREFUL! Every time there is only one of those persons in the midle. Not 2 or more (I speak about the centre of the palace). Because that defines the palace every time. Think it like a car. There are 100s of the same model, but what defines them as car1, car2, car3 is their number plate. The same goes with your pink palace. Its pink1, pink2, pink3.....pink100. What defines its number or its address every time, is what person comes and sits in the center of the pink palace. The same is for your other palaces.

Now imagine that you are in your pink0 palace. This palace has the number 0 person in the center(For that reason is the pink0 palace). Also imagine 10 Locis inside your palace. Look at them clockwise and imagine that the number 0 person (yes there are 2 of them!) comes and sits in the fist locus. Then the number 1 in the 2nd locus etc until the number 9 person sits in the 10th locus. This is absolutely stable and can't change, because we said that every palace has 10 locis. Now imagine the pink1 palace. Guess what? It looks the same with the other pink palaces except that in its center is person number 1. And also, it first locus has the person number 11, until its tenth locus which has the person number 20.
And so it goes with EVERY palace (pink,green,orange,purple/blue).

One last thing. Now imagine that you are in palace pink0. Imagine that you go in its first locus and you see which person? You see the person number 0 (He is double). Suddenly that person catches your hand and he/she teletransports you to the palace green0 (which has exactly the same logic with pink0, pink1, blue4 etc. The number in front of every palace is a person, the king of the palace if you like). This green0 palace has the same 0 person for king in the center (Yes, they are many of them!). If you ask the king of the green0 palace where are we he will say that we are in the address 0.0 And that is because you can only come here if you pass from the pink0 palace and from its 0 loci (because in that locus sits the number 0 person).

Now if you wanted to remember the 100 fastest animals you would put them in the pink0 - pink100 palaces and associate each animal with each palace's king. If you wanted to remember the 110 biggest rivers you would use the 100 pink palaces and then you would use the first 10 green palaces. So you would associate each first river with each pink palace's king. Then you would associate the last 10 rivers with each of the first ten green palace's king along with the first pink palace's king. For example 101th river <=> king0 + king0 [0.0], 102th river <=> king0 + king1 [0.1], etc.

Note: if your green palaces is your last level you don't need to have a locus in them. You just use every green palace as a locus. To get clear, you never use the palace's locis as locis. These locis are just the gates to send you to another memory palace. You only use each memory palace as a locus.

31 January, 2015 - 11:14
r30
r30's picture

I would just link all the words in the book into 160,000 word long chain, and link every 10th word or sth to the next peg in my 00-99 object list, and reuse that list for 160,000/(10*100)=160 times. Takes much less time (I would estimate maybe even 10 times less than with your method), and is much less complicated.

31 January, 2015 - 11:15

r30 wrote:
r30 wrote:
...we get something like 50 days to memorize one book. This is 'no time'? Not to mention that you've forgotten 90% of the stories by the second day, if you don't review.

SKard wrote:
Haha. For that reason I have "no time" in quotes "". But again, think about it. It's no time, if you think that for me, for example, if I had to memorize a 500 page book I would have done that in 2 years and not 50 days, with the traditional rote methods.

You left completely different expression in your first post:
SKard wrote:
After the method I reveal you, you will just not need Speed Reading or anything simillar to learn anything!! You will literally read something with your nice and normal speed and memorize it on the fly.

20 seconds for one word is reading with normal speed?

OK, that is my mistake. If you want I will erase it. I will also erase the no time from the title.

31 January, 2015 - 11:16

I think a real concrete example would help enormously.

Here's the first line of Richard III by William Shakespeare:
"Now is the winter of our discontent
Made glorious summer by this son of York"

Please explain exactly how you would memorise that and go on to memorise, verbatim, the rest of the book.

31 January, 2015 - 11:35

r30 wrote:
I would just link all the words in the book into 160,000 word long chain, and link every 10th word or sth to the next peg in my 00-99 object list, and reuse that list for 160,000/(10*100)=160 times. Takes much less time (I would estimate maybe even 10 times less than with your method), and is much less complicated.

Hmm. OK I like that. My problem was how to make limitless memory palaces and use them to store info. I also think that its easier to remember something if its somewhere in space. You could also store every word in a limitless list, but again, you don't feel safe without space. If you wanted to count every word how could you know where is the 1432th word if you recycle
your list 160 times?

That is the reason I did it that way. Because when you learn to calculate correctly the IPs you will imediatly know what is the 1432th word. Also nobody says that you must have 4 kinds of palaces with ten locis each. You can also have 1 kind of palace with 100 loci each. It's what is simpler for ones mind.

31 January, 2015 - 11:53

liamvictor wrote:
I think a real concrete example would help enormously.

Here's the first line of Richard III by William Shakespeare:
"Now is the winter of our discontent
Made glorious summer by this son of York"

Please explain exactly how you would memorise that and go on to memorise, verbatim, the rest of the book.

These are only 15 words. So I would only use the pink level which is from 1 - 100

00 <=> Now = now clock http://truespiritualawakening.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Now-Clock.jpg (Associate this clock with 00)
01 <=> IS = "I" + "S" = [Oliver North + Andrew Neil] (Associate 01 with these two people)
02 <=> THE = "T" + "H" + "E" = [Bill Oddie + Oliver Hardy + Old Etonian] (Associate 02 with these 3 people)
03 <=> WINTER = the image of snow associated with 03
04 <=> OF = the same as 1 and 2
05 <=> OUR = the same as 1 and 2
06 <=> DISCONTENT = https://danielattaway.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/discontent.jpg

if it was for the 1000 word I would use the locus with address [100.100] and associate that number with the image in the last green memory palace.

31 January, 2015 - 12:07

And all that can be done by reading once?

31 January, 2015 - 12:23

chiguin wrote:
And all that can be done by reading once?

Yes.

Download our free ebook! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account, and we'll send you a free ebook with tips on how to get started.

Related content: