Major System based PAO with pictures

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 22 June, 2011 - 08:04

Major System based PAO with pictures

I have created my PAO system based on the major system, and put it in a doc file. It includes pictures of all the people. I used the major system as the initials for each person (with the exception of 32, Max Weinberg. Previously it was Martina Navratilova, but I could not remember that name at all!)

I've been having a tough time memorizing it so far, but it's coming along. I don't know how long it will be until it is useful. I am not a big media fan, so I don't know much about a lot of the people in there. But I did not want to use anyone I knew personally in my system.

If you are interested, please check it out. Feel free to leave comments on it below as well. Hope this can help someone!

22 June, 2011 - 08:41

Great list -- thanks for posting it... :)

23 August, 2011 - 17:51

Hi all. I am trying to learn the Major system of 3-digit number. Meanwhile i see that Dominic system with PAO can store 6-digit number per image. Whether to learn this system can speed up the memozing process? Is there anyone mastering this 3 digit major system? So i am thinking of necessary to learn this Major sytem. Could you all give me any advice about this job? Should to learn or not?

15 April, 2012 - 10:39

I've been getting a lot of requests to share this file, although I don't know why, since it should be available to anyone with the link. Anyways, I have changed the settings and made it public. Hopefully that will allow more people to download it. Sorry if anyone has tried and been unable to download!

Here is the new link.

I have also attached it to this post.

Admin, if you could update the link in the original post I would appreciate it. For some reason I can't edit it.

20 April, 2012 - 12:10

arsenius,

Great list. I'm curious about your approach of using the major system for P A and O rather than having the A and O relate to the P.

Do you find this easier to remember because you get a phonetic reminder for the A and O?

Did you learn this from some other established author or system?

Thanks,
Jeff

20 April, 2012 - 18:00

It is easier for me, because I don't have strong associations of these people doing things. I didn't get he method from anywhere, but was surprised people weren't using it already.

20 April, 2012 - 18:09

Yeah, it's strikes me as a great way to go. I've been trying to do it the traditional way, and sometimes I'll have a great person (that I know will stick in my mind) but no action that would strongly link to them.

Will have to give this one some thought.

How is it working for you so far?

20 April, 2012 - 20:42

To be honest, I haven't done much memorization since I made this list. ButI wasn't comfortable with using people, as I don't find them memorable. The main draw of this method was that it extended my original major pegs.

26 May, 2012 - 16:38

Sorry I typed a long reply and it mysteriously disappeared.

6 July, 2012 - 14:02

Great list... saved me loads of time on the Action Objects. Thanks :)

24 July, 2012 - 18:37

Thanks for uploading this. I was just thinking PAO would be easier done this exact way.

25 July, 2012 - 19:53

Having been inspired by this post, I've done my own modified version of the Major System PAO with Pictures:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1llzEM4UZtuh9_2cnOnp4--nXeciy82Q1yQMm...

(I'll also attach the file to this post)

I mixed arsenius's original version with ideas from http://mt.artofmemory.com/forums/my-pao-list-based-on-major-system-so-fa... and some fresh ideas of my own. I hope you find this useful.

26 July, 2012 - 05:17

outlawyr wrote:
Having been inspired by this post, I've done my own modified version of the Major System PAO with Pictures:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1llzEM4UZtuh9_2cnOnp4--nXeciy82Q1yQMm...

(I'll also attach the file to this post)

I mixed arsenius's original version with ideas from http://mt.artofmemory.com/forums/my-pao-list-based-on-major-system-so-fa... and some fresh ideas of my own. I hope you find this useful.

Hey man, congrats on making your list. It looks really good...although...

I'm pretty sure 608992 is a sin. :D

26 July, 2012 - 05:21

Very nice! I've stolen some back from you to adjust my list, too!

26 July, 2012 - 06:51

Your list was extremely helpful, so I'm glad you can make use of some of my additions.

26 July, 2012 - 06:53

Hype wrote:
I'm pretty sure 608992 is a sin. :D

No comment. :D

26 July, 2012 - 13:28

So I've learned the first fifty, and in the process made some changes. My advice is this; if you find some of them particularly hard to memorize, change them. "Zorro" for example just was not sticking in my brain, so I changed him to Sarah (Palin).

Also, I should have mentioned that this is rated R due to some language. You have been warned. :)

26 July, 2012 - 14:01

Yes, I continue to make small adjustments.

I recommend a person attempting this put together a list as fast as possible, without worrying about quality. Then, once you have ever PAO filled in, start going through the list putting an asterisk next to anything that troubles you or doesn't "feel sticky."

Then, come back to just the asterisk ones (couple at a time) early in the morning or after exercise when you are fresh. Don't try to kill all of them, just focus on getting 1 or 2 "sticky" per session.

It's also good to go through the whole list in one sitting to uncover any overlaps. For example, maybe you have "lynching" for an action, but also have "rope" or "noose" for an object. Probably a good idea to swap something out for one of those.

Once my list is complete (probably one more session), I'll transfer it into Anki and lock it in.

Jeff

27 July, 2012 - 06:28
27 July, 2012 - 07:21

kbjeff wrote:
It's also good to go through the whole list in one sitting to uncover any overlaps.

I've been doing that as I go through the list. I've updated the Google Docs (Drive) version of the file, so if anyone is using it, I suggest using that one rather than the Word file attached to my earlier post.

I've also noticed that some people would say that a word like "cheer" is 74 rather than 64. If that's the case for anyone using this list, you'll have to do some modifications. I never noticed that before, but I attribute it to confusion over the distinction between a "hard ch" and a "soft ch". To my mind, if a CH is pronounced like a K (chimera) it's a 7, otherwise (Cher, cheer, pitch) it's a 6. I'd be interested to know if that's how most other people divvy it up.

14 August, 2012 - 22:22

Hi everyone,
I just finished reading Moonwalking with Einstein, and I've been working on a PAO system, here is a pdf after several runs, I did not add a major system or anything, just person-action-object that would be hard to forget. I added color codes to rows and columns to help with additional single digits. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PAO List Complete

Thanks everyone!

Alex

15 August, 2012 - 04:56

So, these are totally arbitrary? I would find that very hard to memorize. Have you gotten it all memorized, and if so how long did it take?

15 August, 2012 - 05:45

outlawyr wrote:
So, these are totally arbitrary? I would find that very hard to memorize. Have you gotten it all memorized, and if so how long did it take?

If you use a journey to memorise it, I don't see any reason an arbitrary list would take any longer to memorise than a coded list.

15 August, 2012 - 07:15

Thank you for your comments, I focused mainly on memorable persons/characters, and the most common (logical) thing they do (to me at least) with what object. I just finished building the list, the biggest problem was finding the correct image showing the action and the object. I made the list with 10 rows of 10 images, and without doing much more (I basically just got started with all of this) I can remember quite a few so far, and my kids also remember a few from helping me, just from making the list. After I finished I saw people using the major system with the PAO list, but it was a bit late for this list.
I guess the list is so 'graphic' that it helps you remember easier?

Thank you for the idea of memorizing it with a journey, I'll give it a try.
Alex.

15 August, 2012 - 07:44

That is a great way, and as I said, I started compiling the list before i knew I could do a better easier to remember one with major system.
Thanks for your comment, if my list helps anyone, feel free to use.
Alex

15 August, 2012 - 07:51

Hype wrote:
If you use a journey to memorise it, I don't see any reason an arbitrary list would take any longer to memorise than a coded list.

But that's just it. I don't need a journey to learn my PAO system. I had the bulk of my PAO system memorized in a matter of days, and tweaked and memorized it to completion in about a week. I reserve journeys for whatever I'm memorizing (deck of cards, random digits, etc.) using the PAO system. But the system stands alone. Because it's based on the Major system, even if I forget what a 2 digit number connects with, I can quickly remind myself. So let's say I forget what 10 is. I know that in the Major system it's t/d s/z. I can just say in my mind tas, das, taz, daz. This will remind me that 10 is Taz (the Tasmanian Devil) tasing a daisy.

So I suppose the Major system serves as a safety net and a means of reinforcement for my PAO system.

But whatever works for people is good.

15 August, 2012 - 07:53

mechanicad wrote:
That is a great way, and as I said, I started compiling the list before i knew I could do a better easier to remember one with major system.
Thanks for your comment, if my list helps anyone, feel free to use.
Alex

So do you associate the number shapes with the person/action/object? How do you link them?

15 August, 2012 - 07:57

outlawyr wrote:

But that's just it. I don't need a journey to learn my PAO system. I had the bulk of my PAO system memorized in a matter of days, and tweaked and memorized it to completion in about a week.

And with a journey, I had my PAO memorised in half an hour's work. Now that I've had plenty of time to practise, I no longer need the journey to recall what the PAO is, the journey is free for use again.

It's not necessary at all, but I think it makes things a lot quicker, and more fun. :D

Quote:
I reserve journeys for whatever I'm memorizing (deck of cards, random digits, etc.) using the PAO system. But the system stands alone. Because it's based on the Major system, even if I forget what a 2 digit number connects with, I can quickly remind myself. So let's say I forget what 10 is. I know that in the Major system it's t/d s/z. I can just say in my mind tas, das, taz, daz. This will remind me that 10 is Taz (the Tasmanian Devil) tasing a daisy.

So I suppose the Major system serves as a safety net and a means of reinforcement for my PAO system.

But whatever works for people is good.

Yeah, with that kind of thing, I'd be very uncomfortable using the Major System for actions/objects. I used a Dominic system to make my persons, then gave the actions/objects a personal association. I think that aided things, and I feel like a Major-based AO list would have been much harder to work with for me.

Different strokes for different folks.

15 August, 2012 - 08:07

That's an interesting point. I did attempt to find AO's that matched in some way the personality of the P.

So for example, 71 is CaTwoman KowTowing to a CaT

But obviously not all of my PAO's came out as neatly as that. Oddly enough, the ones that were non-sensical were no easier or harder for me to learn than the logical associations. So 46 (ReGis ReTCHing on a RoaCH) is just as easy for me to remember as the Catwoman one. I'd say that the variable that makes the most difference for me is how "exciting" or bizarre the image is. Dull stuff slips away, exciting stuff sticks. To take a random example, I changed 69 from (Steve) JoBs chopping a jeep to (Charlie) CHaPlin chopping a jeep. Chaplin is just a more colorful vibrant character than the late Mr. Jobs in my mind. Plus I can now picture Chaplin using his ever present cane to do the chopping, which reinforces the image.

I imagine for each of us certain things just work better than others. The trick is trying things out, figuring out what comes more naturally, and tweaking from there. Create your system, learn it, and use it. I've found every step of that journey to be far more enjoyable than I'd expected.

15 August, 2012 - 14:26

I had not thought of how to link P or A or O to the number when I started, I just figured I'd get A & O for the P that would be unmistakable, and in some weird way, I guess the location on the grid is a sort of palace, when I added the numbers overlapping the images in the grid, they started sticking in my mind. In a few instances (and really by chance) after replacing some other not-very-logical images, 69 ended up being Rose Laying in a Couch. Well, I know what the number for laying and couch is, as well as who does it.
I have always had better luck with images, that's why I did my list this way. When I think of a Fireman, I imagine him spraying water from a hose, and just now as I'm thinking about it, I pictured the number 22 in the fireman's hat.
I guess we are all wired differently, as you said, different strokes.
I'll try to make the list stick in a couple of days and update later.
Thanks for your help and suggestions.

27 November, 2012 - 03:05

Hi everyone,

This is for encoding numbers AND syllables to images.

http://mt.artofmemory.com/forums/olli-system-convert-numbers-and-syllabl...

If you like, I'll create a PAO using that system.

Cheers,
Oliver

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: