Lingua Latina!

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 4 October, 2013 - 03:04

Lingua Latina!

Hi!

I'm trying to learn Latin, and using mnemonics to help me! What I have here are all of the endings of Latin nouns in different declensions. What I meant to do is to think of an image for each and then connect them using Linking System.

I need your help to come up with different images for different endings, it may be wise to come up with multiple images for an ending because sometimes a noun has the same ending twice or more times in a row.

Here is the list of endings:

-a, -e, -i, -o, -ei, -ae, -am, -as, -is, -us, -um, -os, -em, -ia, -ui, -es, -arum, -irum, -erum, -orum, -ibus, -ebus, -uum,
-ium

For instance for -ibus, i think of an iPhone that has wheels and is a bus.

Looking forward to hearing your examples!
Cheers!

4 October, 2013 - 04:16

Nominative, genitive, dative, accusative, ablative. Never Get Drunk At All.

-ae pronounced eye.
- arum an arm.
-I pronounced ee - key
-us pronounced oos ie noose

Wiki has a rhyme for first declension. Rosa, Rosa Rosam etc

Classically there was a memory tower with 5 sides. One side per declension, 5 levels descending NGDAA. Gnomes at the top, ablative sandpaper at the bottom. Mnemonic for levels - gnome, gene lab, date palm, axe, sandpaper.

So . . An imaginary tower, 5 journeys, each loci keys to a noun ending as a play on the sound it makes. You learn the word, and it's correct sound. There is a distinction in European soundings versus English. C is a soft sibilant, whilst it should be a hard guttural such as K. In Latin. J is a U. So Julius Caesar is Oolioos Kaiser. Up to you, how you want to do this.

There's a wealth of mnemonics if you google for it.

4 October, 2013 - 06:44

Actually u missed Vocative (at least I learn it with VOC in my Grammar School), so it could be Now Go Drink A Vine, Alien. Can actually imagine that lol.
Thanks, the tower thing is a good idea.
Cheers

4 October, 2013 - 11:15

Vocative? No I omitted it. The endings are the same as the nominative. There are several more declensions, but they're rare and IIRC disappear in later Latin ie locative, basically as other word forms have assumed the role.

4 October, 2013 - 13:54

Brianma, it seems to me, that you have thought this through and have a working mnemonic system for learning latin. At some point in the not so far future (about 6 months from now, when I'm finished encoding biblical-hebrew to memory using Anki), I plan to begin learning latin - and preferably make a shift in my grammar-learning by use mnemonics more with latin.

I know how to use mnemonics with vocabulary, but not when it comes to grammar.

If you where to teach someone latin what would you recommend them?

22 December, 2013 - 06:12

Hello there 14pt, bold italic!,
I recommend the Wheelock's Latin book. Its absolutely wonderful.

PS. Forgive me for the improper salutation. I couldn't help myself!

Download our free ebook! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account, and we'll send you a free ebook with tips on how to get started.

Related content: