learning joseki - game of go

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 20 February, 2013 - 03:01

learning joseki - game of go

Hi everyone,
I am about to learn some joseki, I found this usefull youtube channel who seems to propose to build stories using a 10*10 major system and relationnal concepts, like following, drawing a sword against someone, pushing etc.... I think it's a good way to memorize joseki this way because the encoding process matchs well the way we almost consciously makes stories to conceptualise joseki, then this system just helps to build a rememberable story.

This video illustrates quite well the spirit of the method...and it's also quite funny : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_UY6aKqczg&list=UUNXvkYI0f9xNQJRX0psM0wQ&index=1

Maybe some of you already tried to learn joseki this way ? Any feed-backs ?

20 February, 2013 - 13:18
Yan
Yan's picture

I learned this from watching Hikaru No Go! ;)

Heard it was harder to master than chess! I doubt though that memory techniques will help you because of the number of combinations and moves you can make. All the best though! ;)

23 February, 2013 - 05:02

Yeah, there is much more combinations than chess, maybe it's why the game of go is seen as more strategic than chess.
But concerning the joseki, it seems less complicated, and easier to be memorized with memory technics than chess openings. I will give feed backs as soon as i try this.

3 March, 2013 - 12:53

This seems really interesting, I'll keep this in mind. If I have some time off (in a year or two) I'll give it a go.

5 March, 2013 - 08:16

I am also wondering if these kind of story/relational encoding may be suitable as an alternative for classic mnemonics method for chess opening...maybe....It's just words, I should discuss less and experiment more :D

27 May, 2013 - 09:58

I have never seriously attempted go and doesn't even know about joseki. I am however a relatively experienced chess player (elo ~1950) and have actually attempted to use mnemonics for chess openings. If you do try this, I think I shall warn you that you must be watchful for different move orders that lead to the same position. You may for instance remember a certain move order in which case your opponent may make a different move and you will end up being confused even though it turned out to just be a reordering of the usual moves.
But I think that you could use mnemonics, but simply memorizing the move orders is problematic not only because you continously have to fork into variations, but also because of the move ordering problem. One may however be able to use mnemonics to remember key positions and plans which would make it easier to recall the exact move orders if that is at all important for the opening memorized.

16 June, 2017 - 00:54

I was about to post on the Go game as well. Let me check those youtube videos.
Thank you.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: