How to store large amounts of information into my mind palace

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 29 June, 2014 - 02:48

How to store large amounts of information into my mind palace

Hey people

So i am currently working on my mind palace and have successfully established my first palace and i have been successful in pegging items within my palace. Now the problem that i'm having is that i can't seem to get my head around how i would store large amounts of information such as paragraphs or alot of numbers. For the topic of storing numbers i've read about phonetic encoding which teaches you how to turn numbers into letters and make a word then linking that word or sentence to an absurd image, but i find it nearly impossible to learn a long list of numbers.

Those are the two problems i'm having, if anyone could help it would be great.

Thanks.

29 June, 2014 - 06:27

For numbers, you create a fixed list(usually for numbers 00-99) and you use those images multiple times. Check out Major System and PAO.

You don't have to store the whole list of words or numbers in one image or locus.

Bateman

1 July, 2014 - 04:56

I use close friends or family members to indicate numbers. So my list has names, instead of numbers. I use their kids as an indication so for example my sister Kate has 2 kids, she's always 2. My friend Emma has 1, she's 1, my friend Rob is 3 (you can guess why) and so on. You can use house/apt. numbers if your list is very long. my tip is that as long as it's personal, it works.
Hope this helps...

1 July, 2014 - 13:53

Mike, think of Loci and number systems as two different memory tools that serve different purposes. You definitely need one or more number systems (as said above, major or PAO) if you intend to remember lots of numbers. You might create your own spin on these systems that serves the same function, but might as well start with the established tools -- you can learn about them here and elsewhere. The point of them is to convert a number you want to remember into a memorable image. A long sequence of digits then is some combination of images.

But the two tools can work in concert when that's what you need -- associate small chunk of digits to an image via your number system, and put that image into a spot in your loci. Then you progress through your loci, seeing your number-images in sequence. Yes linking the images into a "story" is one approach, but putting the images into your loci is much more powerful.

As for storing whole paragraphs verbatim ...well my 1st response there is do you really need to do that? How about NOT do that? Sometimes people want to do that and I'm not sure what the best approach is, but a more typical use of loci is to put ideas and images in your loci that stimulate supporting thoughts and details, rather than try to memorize long passages of text.

2 July, 2014 - 19:29

thanks man the phonetic number system is a great way, that helped alot.

cheers

mike

2 July, 2014 - 19:34

kmfurr, yeah im starting to understand what youre saying its making things clearer for me so i must associate a number with a specific image and group the images together peg them along in my mind palace in order and it will be fine. thanks alot for that.

I read about alot of people that say they have stored books of information, plays, lyrics etc into their mind palace yet they dont state how they would do so. i would love to know how to do such a thing that would be amazing.

cheers

Mike

Download our free ebook! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account, and we'll send you a free ebook with tips on how to get started.

Related content: