Has anyone got a recommendable Android phone?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 21 August, 2013 - 07:37
WJW
WJW's picture

Has anyone got a recommendable Android phone?

My reason for asking is that I currently have an iPad, iPad mini, iPod, Apple TV along with various other electronic type things around the house (for example I make my own speakers)

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u359/boredemployee/P9100967.jpg
http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u359/boredemployee/P9291007.jpg

Although the only contact I've had with linux/Android is to run XBMC on my comp, I'm hoping to convince the better half that we need to lose the landline and get an Android based cell phone with data and use that as our new "home" phone. Then I started looking and my head started to hurt...

Samsung Galaxy S4 and S3, HTC One, Sony Experia Z, the new LG G2 and Galaxy S4 Active among others. I don't really need all the bells and whistles but I've been around long enough to see both the beginning and the end of cassette tapes and CDs and if I'm stuck with a device for 36 months I would like something that I won't look at in a year and say "Crap, mine doesn't even have an IR blaster or a temp senser."

Any ideas?

J

21 August, 2013 - 08:04

I own the HTC-one X.
Both the HTC One and the HTC One X have imho the best screen.
I do not like the blueish screen of the Galaxy S4.

Since I use the phone for reading books a lot, the screen for me is the most important factor.

21 August, 2013 - 11:46
WJW
WJW's picture

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm kind of torn between the One and the S4. One of them has a killer sound and lcd display but no expandable memory, while the other has a stupid-big 13 mega pixel camera but issues with the AMOLED display. The S4 is supposed to be coming out with an Active version that is water/dust proof like the Experia Z and then there's an LG G2...

Time for a drink. :bigsmile:

21 August, 2013 - 15:08

Have you looked at Skype phones? That might be cheaper than getting a data plan for a new phone. It's only a few dollars per month, and the hardware is under USD $100.

Also check out the non-phone, Android-based media players that have wireless Internet access.

I like the Galaxy Note I. I haven't tried any of the ones you mentioned.

21 August, 2013 - 17:14

At the moment the Galaxy Note looks pretty good. Basically screen size. HTC could be a candidate as well. I'll wait till after the new Note and IPhone are released before I jump.

21 August, 2013 - 18:53
WJW
WJW's picture

@Josh:

Right now my phone, Internet, and TV bill is $150+ a month (bundled with Bell) with my phone being $32 plus tax or $36 with no long distance no display no call waiting and no voicemail. My work has a plan for $50 plus tax ($56.50) for...

1000 incoming minutes
350 outgoing minutes
250 l/d minutes
Unltd 6pm to 7am evenings and weekends
Voicemail 25
Conference/waiting/display
5 gig data.

Long story short it will cost about $35/month more to lose the home phone (I lose the bundle discount) and get my number transferred to a mobile device with a crud-load of features. I'm also relegated to certain cell phones that my work sponsors to be able to get the $50 plan, the Note II and S4 being part of that plan along with the HTC One.

Never heard of the Galaxy Player. Looks good though... The only media player, (and I've had a few from the Western Digital Live to the Patriot Box Office to the Apple TV) that plays with the Android interface that I know about is the Jynxbox Android for $120. I do like the look of that Player 5.0 though. :bigsmile:

Edit:

PS
If you want to answer your cell phone from Any phone in your house

Download our free ebook! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account, and we'll send you a free ebook with tips on how to get started.

Related content: