Give advice to the begginers

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 10 September, 2013 - 10:37

Give advice to the begginers

Hy!

I am a begginer and I need your help to start learning mnemonic techniques. There are a lot of interesting topic but I do not know where to begin exactly. I only know a bit about the loci and the images but that is all.

I am really intrested in any thechniques but mostly how to use it in studying in university. I read the topic: "How did you begin? :)" but this is not exatly what I looking for. I also be greatful if you could mention some books what you recommend for learning about mnemotechniques.

Thanks! :)

10 September, 2013 - 13:39

Start here:
http://mt.artofmemory.com/wiki/Getting_Started

After that, here:
http://mt.artofmemory.com/wiki/Main_Page

After that you do not need many books. Read them for fun and re-enforcing the systems.

For university focus on association and loci.
There is no need for much more.

Also do a search on this forum for threads about mnemonics for educational purposes.
There is a lot of info on this forum.

Also just throw some specific questions you have at us.

10 September, 2013 - 14:20

What Kinma said.
Just a word of caution. Do the research. The techniques work, but be patient. Like any tool, you need to find the one that has a good feel and works best for you. For me, I read a lot, found the threads that made best sense for me and tried it. I then adapted for better use. But in the end, practice, practice, practice. Start small, and grow your skill set.
Only two tools . . . .journeys and palaces. They can work apart, but work best together. What's nice about these, is that we use them unconsciously all the time.

10 September, 2013 - 15:24

What Brianma said.

Also for retention in university, check out 'spaced repetition'.
Even though Brianma and I have been throwing stuff at you try to take one thing at a time.
Don't over burden yourself with info.

12 September, 2013 - 11:13

Thanks for your help :)

3 October, 2013 - 19:35

Brianma wrote:

Only two tools . . . .journeys and palaces. .

I've always used those terms interchangeably. What's the difference?

3 October, 2013 - 21:35

For Double Helix.

Palaces and journeys.

You're right in thinking they're interchangeable. I think it's a useful distinction when you're starting out. As you work at it, the distinction disappears.

In De Herrenium, one translation for loci is 'background'. If you generalize the concept, a journey is a series of backgrounds. The background can consists of many bits of scenery, you focus into any specific piece of scenery, it becomes a background. It's like those journeys where a camera infinitely pand out from an object, to a town, to a country, to a planet etc etc Conceptually, our mnemonic journeys look more like acts in a play ie sequential, but you can focus on one particular prop in that scene and associate memories to that.

4 October, 2013 - 00:13
Iam
Iam's picture

I'm also a beginner. I started this year and my focus is perfecting my Number and my Alphabet System.
I've been indoors working on my system for more than 5 months. I kid you not I spend more than 19 hours everyday in front of my computer downloading and memorizing 16,000+ images. for my system.
I'm writing a book on it and an app later.

If you need any help with Number System/Alphabet System just let me know I'll teach you and give you my materials for free as long as you don't expose it on the net.

Don't be overwhelmed. I know there are a lot of new things coming up. Just be focused and achieve it one at a time, that's what I'm doing.

Mnemonic is addictive. Sometimes I forget to eat and I don't sleep at night ever since I found mnemonics.
I wish I knew mnemonic better when I was school, though it's not too late. I'll use it on my Masters and I MUST be the best because the easiest way to succeed academically is learning how to learn or simply called accelerated learning.

I wish you the best and please don't ever give up.

4 October, 2013 - 00:14

Hi,
For me there is a distinction between Memory Palaces and Memory Journeys. I think of Palaces as loci confined to the inside of a building and within rooms inside that building whereas Journeys are routes that are external of buildings.

4 October, 2013 - 05:02

Palaces, journeys or backgrounds. To me, they all represent something your mind can grapple with and use. A way of consciously accessing your memory hardware.

An example. Recently I went to a Monet Art exhibition. I journeyed to the museum using memorable landmarks. I toured the exhibition in a precise pattern dictated by the numbering of the paintings. Each painting had a story, each batch of paintings represented some phase in the life of the artist, each batch had a separate room. Each room was a loci representing a phase, each painting was a loci in the artists career, each painting was of a different scene. The exhibition was a memory palace contained within a larger memory palace which was the museum. The museum in one sense was the background to the memory experience I was interested in. I journeyed through the memory experience in a definite order.

This experience encapsulates all facets of mnemonics if you think about it. Palace, journey, background, story, pegging, imagery and order. All done without anyone being aware of it. But blended into a rather seamless whole.

Smart people, museums.

8 October, 2013 - 18:22

Iam wrote:
I'm memorizing 16,000+ images. for my system.

If you need any help with Number System/Alphabet System just let me know I'll teach you and give you my materials for free as long as you don't expose it on the net.

Mnemonic is addictive.

It eats up my life, too. If you spread your time among different disciplines, you'll get more bang for your buck. But I know it's hard not to focus on that "one big thing."

I have to advise here: knowing 16,000+ images can certainly be done, but getting that lightning recognition speed you want will be a decade long task. But there's no guarantee that it wouldn't be better to abandon the whole enterprise after 9, 19, or 11 years. Be absolutely sure that there is not simpler way to accomplish what you are trying to do. Simon R. Is using 10,000 images - if you don't know who he is, he's one of the best in the world all around. He still hasn't caught up to Feng in speed numbers. Feng uses 100 images. The system you use should be as large as possible before the size interferes with recognition speed in order to be the most efficient, and I fear you are going down a path that leads only to disappointment and regret. Hopefully that does not sound offensive or harsh. I am not meaning to be difficult.

But I don't understand what 16,000+ images could be used for...other than 14 digit binary, which is pointless with numbers presented in groups of 30. You'd have to have over 32,000 to make it worth your while...but even then, it wouldn't be. Immediate visualization is what all of this is about.

I would really like you to send me your materials. They won't leave my computer :)

12 October, 2013 - 09:48
Iam
Iam's picture

@LocInTheSky.

I appreciate your advice. I don't plan on competing yet, maybe after 5 years. I want to use the system throughout my stay in this world. Right now I'm using a 3-digit system with instant recall. I recall images quickly because I review them before I fall asleep and also when I wake up the next morning. They've become part of me. And I can't deny the respect I get from not jotting things down.

I coundn't recite the multiplication table since I was born, but yesterday I applied my system to the multiplication table and I couldn't believe it. It was so so easy. I'M NEVER GOING BACK TO ROTE MEMORIZATION.

My main reason of making my system so big and scary is because I'm going back to school for my Masters, I don't want to stress myself reading for 12 hours a day during exams and all that.

Most of the images will be used for my dictionary system which will help in mastering speed reading and in learning learning new languages fast. After developig my system I want to learn 2 languages a year. I don't care how difficult it is as long as Gabriel Wyner puts me through on the vowel sounds.

I'm using only human images - no other images are allowed, except they'll act like a helper to the main images.

I want to make every word in the dictionary a concrete noun and assign a leader to every group of words which will be used to trigger new associations of newly added words to the group. The good thing is there is always a human being answering a name you never expected to used by a human. Just type anything on reverberation.com or on twitter or linkedin and you'll get an image.

Example: The word BAN will be the leader of all the words that have the same Consonant(B)+Vowel(A)+Consonant(N)+Anything

Ban wlll lead words like bandage, band, banner bandit etc. So, when ever I come cross a new word in English or in a foreign language that starts with ban or sounds like ban, then I'll picture the leader and do my association.

An image in my system doesnt work for one thing only, it can take different forms without complicating things.

Example: Ban is a musician (I got the photo from reverbnation.com), his decimal number is 992 and his binary number is 000011010101.

I'll send you my 1000 images. I arranged them in a question and answer format for quick memorization. Where should I send it to?

The rest can be downloaded in bulk by using Extreme Picture Finder 3 software. The software will download any type of photo you want in bulk. If you type "funny human images" it'll download only all image on the net named "funny human". You can specify the file format you want. There are other functions.

Download our free ebook! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account, and we'll send you a free ebook with tips on how to get started.

Related content: