Daily memory training programs -- here's mine

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 4 September, 2012 - 09:41

Daily memory training programs -- here's mine

9 September, 2012 - 21:31

That sounds great... I just moved back to the US and haven't gotten settled enough to have a regular schedule.

How long have you been doing it? Have you noticed any benefits yet?

10 September, 2012 - 15:05

Hey, Josh. Nice to hear from you. I just started it about a week ago. I'm noticing that I'm remembering a lot more in my day to day life. Many of the little details about names, places, facts that I would have forgot I am now remembering better. The usual caveats apply, of course. I've only just started this program, could all be placebo, etc., but I'm optimistic from what I've seen so far.

10 September, 2012 - 19:31

I noticed a difference when I first started learning memory techniques: more creative ideas, more dreams, etc. I don't notice the dreams anymore, but I think that using the new parts of my brain did something.

30 September, 2012 - 15:41

Hi
Great to see people using brains. Your program seems to be quite intense. You may hit the low motivation period after a few weeks or month so you need to work on your motivation at the same time as you work on your memory. Human brain is very tricky. I would suggest brainwash yourself with a good motivational story or use hypnosis for improving your academic performance or the motivation booster hypnosis.

You are also missing supplements. I know some people do not agree with using supplements but during the hard times you need some help and why not using science.

So I would add to your program:

motivational elements
hypnosis or self hypnosis
supplements

These will update your gearbox to 7 gear one and you will spend less effort and achieve more

I am impress by your program anyway

Let us know how you do after a few months

Mike

30 September, 2012 - 19:40

Mikeproject2009 wrote:
You are also missing supplements. I know some people do not agree with using supplements but during the hard times you need some help and why not using science.

I'm still unsure about the benefits of supplements. I've read about a study where smokers who get vitamin A (or beta carotene) in their diets have reduced cancer risk, but smokers who take the vitamin as an artificial supplement have a higher rate of cancer.

I think that humans still don't know enough about nutrition to extract substances from foods and then ingest those substances independently. I think it's healthier to find foods that have the supplements one wants, and then just eat the foods. That requires a healthy diet, which requires some discipline.

I once read a criticism of the modern vitamin movement. It said something like: the problems in our society aren't diseases of not getting enough vitamins (e.g., scurvy, beriberi), but they are diseases of over-consumption. If the goal is better-functioning bodies (including the brain), it seems like it would be better to just eat right instead of trying to compensate for an unhealthy diet.

I don't think that vitamins are highly dangerous, but I think they are available in a more-usable and safer form when naturally consumed in foods. Just my non-expert opinion though... :)

1 October, 2012 - 10:37

Hi Josh

I would agree with you 100% that we should have the healthy diet which would improve our brain performance. the trouble is that we do not know what we are eating anyway. Buying food from stores, supermarkets do not give you any confidence that what you are buying is actually what you want. There is so much chemistry and additional elements in foods which is crazy. that is why having additional supplements when you need them for better brain functioning is not that harmful as one would think so. at the end of the day you are getting some extra dozes of vitamins and some other powerful elements that it may be quite good for your academic performance.

In summary I have to agree with you that there is a huge uncertainty about the science of supplements in the same way as the science of our brain. It is still unknown and we need to check what works for us.

Mike

3 October, 2012 - 12:39

Mikeproject2009 wrote:
I would agree with you 100% that we should have the healthy diet which would improve our brain performance. the trouble is that we do not know what we are eating anyway. Buying food from stores, supermarkets do not give you any confidence that what you are buying is actually what you want.

I solve that problem by not buying much processed food. :)

The human body can function well on:

* fresh fruits and vegetables
* whole grains
* legumes
* water
* healthy source of fats (e.g., uncooked olive oil)

Most everything else is optional. Some people would argue that grains are bad and high-protein, low-carb diets are the way to go, but that way of eating doesn't seem logical to me.

Also, carrots are much cheaper than something like beta carotene pills. If I feel like I need beta carotene, I just eat some orange vegetables. :)

3 October, 2012 - 16:43

Josh

You are right, if you can and have time to buy not processes food you can have the good diet. I am quite low on time so I eat in my car or when walking so need to stick to supermarkets food.
I have to say that the good healthy diet is the key for memory improvement. I heard recently interested video on you tube about the situation in which our memory regress and stress and bad food is the main factor. I need to work on it

Mike

3 October, 2012 - 16:51

Josh Cohen wrote:

I'm still unsure about the benefits of supplements. I've read about a study where smokers who get vitamin A (or beta carotene) in their diets have reduced cancer risk, but smokers who take the vitamin as an artificial supplement have a higher rate of cancer.

Hi Josh, do you still have the link to this study handy?

3 October, 2012 - 18:29

Mikeproject2009 wrote:
I am quite low on time so I eat in my car or when walking so need to stick to supermarkets food.

I have an easier time eating well if I setup a system.

I pick the grains that I'm going to eat -- usually brown rice and whole oats. For the rice I use a rice cooker and make enough for two days. It takes five minutes of my time with the rice cooker.

Other useful tools: bread machine, crock pot, pressure cooker, steamer, food processor.

I make a few types of dishes and then put them in plastic containers when I need to take food with me.

I'm writing this on my phone and it's difficult to type but maybe I'll write a longer blog post about it later. :)

3 October, 2012 - 18:38

I'll find the study when I get back to my laptop. I posted it to Google+ a while ago but I wasn't able to find it with the g+ app.

3 October, 2012 - 22:22

Hype wrote:
Hi Josh, do you still have the link to this study handy?

Here is some information about beta carotene supplements:
http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/dangers-beta-carotene-and-smoking

It's still unclear as to why the beta-carotene in foods doesn't result in cellular damage in smokers, while smokers who take supplements as low as 20 to 30 milligrams per day over five years seem to have such negative health effects. One theory is that foods with vitamin A usually also have other nutrients and phytochemicals (chemicals from plants) that work together to protect cells and keep the body healthy.

The study:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15572756

Full text:
http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/96/23/1743.long

One other kitchen tool for speeding up healthy cooking that I forgot to mention is a small electric grinder for grinding flax seeds. 1 tbsp of ground flax seeds has 2g of fiber, and some omega 3s. It's much cheaper than buying processed flax oil.

8 October, 2012 - 22:51

Great to hear about the meditation. Being relaxed is most certainly one of the finest aids when it comes to memorization exercises.

8 October, 2012 - 23:35

Maybe try some exercise. I know for me going to the Gym helps relieve stress and really improves my motivation and self confidence. Great routine. I am just starting with techniques and my first goal are the Presidents.

16 February, 2013 - 15:16

Josh Cohen wrote:

Just wanted to add a link to another study that warns about a different supplement:
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/calcium-supplements-kill-sa...

I'm thinking that taking vitamin supplements might be dangerous.

16 February, 2013 - 16:01

I need a daily training plan, since my sister, who started learning how to memorize cards and use loci like 5 days ago can already memorize 26 cards in around 2:50. She challenged me to do this the other day, but with 26 images, since her system is just a P system (as opposed to mine, which is a PAO system). It took me 3:20 to do that, which I was really dissapointed in at first, and then I realized that if I were to spend about the same amount of time on each image with a full deck (3 cards/image) I could memorize a deck in about 2:20.
But I still need a specific plan to stick to, since without that I'll never practice haha

Download our free ebook! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account, and we'll send you a free ebook with tips on how to get started.

Related content: