Cooking by Numbers

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 5 January, 2014 - 08:48

Cooking by Numbers

Quite a while ago, I found a simple cookery book in a book store, which hooked me into cookery.
Long story short, I became obsessed with collecting books about cookery, to an extent that they took over bookshelves.
After realising that I wasn't actually reading them, I decided just to keep a handful.
Also, I realised that I wasn't really interested in the fancy stuff, just good basic recipes.
GUYS - YOU STILL WITH ME?
Now we get to the point.
It would be great to have a number(100 maybe) of basic recipes in my head, categorised somehow into say cakes,breads,pasta dishes,meat dishes or whatever, and be able to call up a recipe from memory - ingredients,quantities,temperatures,method. How impressive would that be?
Seems to me like a practical use of mnemonics.

Any ideas?

31 January, 2014 - 16:33

Good idea... maybe you could organize recipes by room -- so all the bread recipes go in one room (or house) and the pasta goes in another location, etc.

22 February, 2014 - 22:05

I am "new" to using memory techniques and have only begun to use memory palaces. I probably have thought of as many 15 journeys as Dominic Obrien would talk about them. I have wished that not only I could store recipes as gerrymo has suggested but even the details of each recipe so I could not only remember the ingredients but what the next step was required. It seems that I would have to have numerous memory palaces if I wanted to save each recipe in my mind-- perhaps learning one each week. Would I have to come up with 100 rooms (using gerrymo's ) example ( and then the features of each room) to store all my recipes ?

I look forward to any suggestions.

Mark Aron

27 February, 2014 - 05:37

Nah, I guess you could fit more than one recipe in one room. You can have one recipe in the bookshelf, one in the sofa etc. To get the quantities right you'd need pictures or picture-altering aspects for at least 1-9...? A can of crushed tomatoes bouncing in the sofa, and talking to the three garlic cloves is easy, but imagining 8,5 deciliters of sugar could be harder :-) imagine sugar some fun way, perhaps doing the 85 action of your PAO? Or just alter the sugar with an aspect that represents 8, maybe every eight is blue? nines as green, so half sugar is blue half is green? Oh, I'm rambling :-)

24 July, 2015 - 19:21

When I'm memorizing recipes I tend to personify ingredients, and anchor units of measurement to them as accessories. For example, if the recipe calls for a teaspoon of curry powder, I'll imagine an Indian lady drinking tea while interacting with the other ingredients. And, of course, I place them in a setting that's relative to the recipe. So if I'm memorizing an Indian dish, I'd place all of the ingredients somewhere in my favorite Indian restaurant.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: