brain fog problem

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 14 December, 2014 - 00:43

brain fog problem

Hi
Has anyone experinced this feeling of severe lack of concentration , its like you cant think clear and have difficulty even in talking to people and cope with what theyre saying

Ive read about bbrain fog on the internet and still I cant find that helpful to my case
Ive had medical check ups and every thing seems fine
The brain fog comes and goes , it might last for 2 weeks . Then ill feel totaĺly fine .
Does anyone have experienve with that ?

14 December, 2014 - 02:36

Yes... I was just dealing with this recently. I think it was due to bad sleep quality and too much stress.

For me, it seemed to get better when I started sleeping well and taking naps in the afternoons. At the time I got the brain fog, I wasn't sleeping well.

I also recently started a very strict, healthy diet, which might be helping me. I cut out all junk -- no sugar, no meat (except fish), no eggs, no refined grains, no alcohol, no caffeine, no gluten*, no fried foods -- only vegetables, fruits, nuts, whole grains/seeds, and fish. Because of high arsenic levels in the rice supply, I've pretty much cut that out too.

There could be many causes for brain fog. I'm just mentioning what my experience has been. I was just searching for "brain fog" in Google recently, so your choice of words to describe it is the same.

*I was skeptical about the latest anti-gluten fad, but I have a specific medical condition that is possibly related to certain gluten-related antibodies. I'm going to test it for a few months.

14 December, 2014 - 07:21

I've been through allot of stress these days . I slept normal amount , yet I feel I didn't sleep at all . Polyphasic sleep and alternate sleep cycles helps me allot in this case . I just stopped polyphasic sleep because I fear its unhealthy and health (nurves) ruining .

14 December, 2014 - 07:49

Humans, when deprived of any indication of time, naturally settle into a biphasic sleep cycle. 8-hours sleep isn't natural. It's only here(same with breakfast) because of changes in our environment. The ones being: Strict work times, and artificial lights.

Here's an interesting link.

Bateman

14 December, 2014 - 08:08

Excellent ,
The only thing that makes me unconvinced is the people whom experimented polyphasic sleep on youtube claimed they couldnt stay on that sleep pattern although they've followed that for a quite good time . Others claimed that polyphasic sleeping caused them an increase in their body weight . A documentary of an experiment conducted one that was allowed to sleep in cycles like the uberman i beleive , after the experiment he said he was happy to get back to the normal sleep behaviour and that he wasnt happy polyphasic sleeping . Do you know anyone whom succeeded any of the polyphasic sleeping patterns and lived a balanced normal life ?

8 January, 2015 - 00:17

Side note:

Here is a new blog post about the way of eating that I mentioned above.

8 January, 2015 - 06:24

If you feel it's unhealthy, get tested, consult a doctor.

There are some people on /r/polyphasic (on reddit). Of course, they're mostly anecdotal, so keep that in mind.

Bateman

10 January, 2015 - 11:23
r30
r30's picture

Check out what I responded to josh's blog post.

My brain fog is caused because of food. But besides that there are a lot of conditions that can cause it:
www.liverdoctor.com/brain-foggy/
http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/brain_fog.htm

You have to find out which one is causing yours. If you suspect something, then go to your GP and tell her about it. If you strongly suspect sth but your GP won't listen, then there are places that do tests for money. E.g. my food intolerance was discovered by some controversial blood test (which wasn't very accurate) in an alternative medicine clinic, but it helped me in the right direction after being diagnosed with "Irritable bowel syndrome" by gastroenterologists (in my case they were too lazy to do additional tests like colonoscopy or endoscopy).

Some things you can first experiment with yourself (food, stress, sleep time etc).

I wish you luck, because it is a really disturbing condition (what's the point of life when you can't feel it). I am doing everything to overcome mine completely (right now I'm having periods of symptoms), and be able to do normal things without effort.

P.S.
My symptoms were the reason I started researching mnemotechnics. In the 11th class I figured that if I used mnemotechnics, then I could somehow still scramble through university even if the symptoms still persist then. Well, it isn't that easy. Although they really do help A LOT, they can only be efficiently used if I have clear consciousness.

The problem is that with foggy mind understandomg physics is hard, visualizing is hard, and most off all - doing it doesn't offer any pleasure. Even playing video games or if i'm especially tired then enjoying a movie takes effort. No point to talk about enjoying studying/mnemotechnics.

So, the only real solution is to effectively use periods between the foggyness, and try to prolong these periods.

10 January, 2015 - 12:27

I just published your comment. (It was in moderation, because visitors don't need to login to comment on that blog.)

I'm writing this comment on my phone, but when I get back to my computer, I'll reply on the blog and mention the details about why I'm avoiding gluten and restricting so many foods this time.

12 January, 2015 - 19:13

Reducing and managing stress is huge for mental fog. Many times stress unavoidable, but how we respond to it can help or hinder our mental functions. It's important to keep in mind that we can be consciously unaware of certain stressors in our life, so developing greater mindfulness and self-awareness is important.

Exercise, especially rigorous exercise, can help with mental fog as well. Post-workout there's a release of hormones that promote positive feelings and a feeling of wellness that can help focus the mind. (Mid-workout? Less so...)

You might look into supplements as well. There are some that can boost relaxation and provide a greater sense of calm, potentially clearing & focusing the mind. Some take melatonin to help them stay calm & focused. Others laud turmeric as a natural brain booster, as it has qualities that lend itself to that. It does have natural anti-inflammatory qualities that could help reduce fog.

12 January, 2015 - 22:38

I definitely agree about the stress and exercise. There is a lot of fresh and dried turmeric in my current diet.

I would be very cautious about casually taking melatonin. From what I read, it may not be safe for long-term use, and it cannot be purchased over-the-counter in most countries. (The US is the big exception.) There is more information about safety over here.

13 January, 2015 - 17:21

I would agree with Josh, melatonin is neither a toy nor a 'natural sleep aid'. Our brains produce melatonin when it's dark, but the amount in pills is huge compared to what we produce. Just turn off lights and such half an hour before falling asleep, cover all led lights, windows, etc. The only time you should use melatonin is when you fly on a plane to a different time zone, to reset the circadian rhythm(pick the smallest mg count you can, 0.1 or smaller).

For brain fog, if resulting from stress, I would recommend meditation. Just relax for a couple minutes a day.

Bateman

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: