Become fluent in Spanish in ONE MONTH? Yes.

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 19 January, 2015 - 14:13

Become fluent in Spanish in ONE MONTH? Yes.

http://masterofmemory.com/courses/

I am very surprised not many are keen to the free spanish course on this website! It's by Timothy Moser, and through it (I am currently taking it) you can learn spanish using Mnemonics! in one month ( or longer if you want).

It's very well put together, i'm amazed and totally grateful that it's free! Has anyone been using His course? He also has other free courses.

19 January, 2015 - 14:14

It's been effective for me to take the stories he gives, and make them my own, I.E. Add color, action, and make things generally 'bigger', or more memorable.

20 January, 2015 - 17:22

Hi Gabriell, thanks for the shoutout! This particular memory palace organization technique, sorting all the words by function (parts of speech subdivided into conjugations etc.) is pretty unique, and I'd be happy to discuss the method with anyone who's interested in applying it to other languages as well.

21 January, 2015 - 02:22

Hey Tim,

I hope you don't mind a question here.

How much time do you have to devote each day with your system?

24 January, 2015 - 06:16

It's really hard to prescribe a daily amount of time. Even with the most solid learning system, if you want to learn a language that fast, you really have to immerse yourself and devote as much focus as possible to it. More people have opted for a 3-month plan, and the most successful students tend to spend around 1-2 hours per weekday to make that work. But of course, always work for specific results, not to fulfill some sort of time commitment.

26 January, 2015 - 09:23

Mmm, Yes, Well Said Timothy I agree.
And If you're devoting that much time to learning the Spanish course, it's a much different "1-2 hours of studying" than you would normally think. I look forward to learning through the spanish course, in the same way I look forward to reading a good book, it's exciting to find out whats going to happen next in the story.

--

It's been helpful for me to take the stories you give timothy, and make them my own; either by amplifying them ( more color, bigger size ) or adding my own personal connections. Even though I think some may be afraid to stray from the original story given, making the stories my own, seems to make the language stick even more.

26 January, 2015 - 10:57

Yes! When using someone else's prepared mnemonics, you definitely ALWAYS want to make the imagery "your own". (In this case, the only thing I recommend NOT changing is the location of the mnemonics, because that's tied to the grammar, as you'll eventually discover if you haven't yet.)

20 February, 2015 - 08:04

What is meant by fluency in this context? And approximately how many Spanish words will the user know after doing this course?

20 February, 2015 - 09:41

The numbers are:

1. Carry a comfortable conversation with a native speaker on virtually any topic.
2. Understand 90% of spoken or written materials (granted the speaking is clear).
3. Be able to express anything you want to express while sounding like a native speaker.

Those numbers only apply when the materials are combined with the coaching.

The course online teaches about 1200 words (depending on whether you conjugate or not), but we teach more with the coaching, and we're also working on adding more words to the materials to bring that number up to 2000 (still in just 24 lessons).

20 February, 2015 - 11:32

Sounds good (and thanks for the prompt reply).

I'm taking a look at the free course and it looks very promising (I like that there are review points with which I can gauge my current level before I start, since I already know some basic Spanish). In my case, I'm mainly trying to revive the ~4 years of high school and junior high Spanish classes so that I can pass a language proficiency exam (to be exempt from the language requirement of my college and pursue some other language).

Unfortunately your full course seems to start on April (and the exam I spoke of is scheduled to be held sometime in April), since you say those numbers are only with the material combined with the coaching, how far would the free materials get me?

In any case full mastery of the 1200 most frequent words in any language is usually enough for most purposes (and can always be expanded through reading) so I think I'll go through the free course (you're very generous for offering it for free btw).

Also, since you offered, I'd be interested to know how your memory palace method would apply to a language like Arabic which has a different morphology than most romance or Germanic languages (since it has a root-with-pattern system where ideas are represented by a set of root syllables/consonant sounds, usually three, and various conjugations/cases are represented by overlaying a pattern of syllables (usually vowel sounds) on the root. e.g k-t-b = write, katabtu= I wrote

Thanks,
Bahihs

20 February, 2015 - 13:36

Free version will get you quite far. Although we start the publicized 3-month course in April, we actually have the faster guaranteed track open for enrollment all the time. It's funny, we're actually working right now with a private student who opted for a 2-month plan and is also preparing for an exam in April to fulfill his language course requirements! You're welcome to inquire further about that; it's more expensive, but it has a customizable guarantee (e.g. the student we're working with will get a refund if he doesn't pass his exam).

But again, the free materials will get you quite far, and we're always improving them. For example, right now I'm working on a complete overhaul on all the videos from lessons 1-8 to have better information and better mnemonics. I recommend that you do each of the quizzes, starting from lesson 1 (the link is at the bottom of the first page), to assess where you currently are according to the Accelerated Spanish plan.

Cool, Arabic is on my language wish list! The most basic principles will be the same, but many strategies will change. For example, in Accelerated Spanish we organize words by function based on parts of speech. But in Arabic the functions of the words will be very different from in a romance language. If you do a little study of the Accelerated Spanish general palace, as well as the specific ways we conjugate verbs (see lessons 2, 4, and 6), it will be interesting to see how we can hack Arabic as well.

20 February, 2015 - 13:47

Thanks a lot for your help, if you could PM me the price of fast track program I can see if I can currently afford it. I will go ahead and do the quizzes and see where I am, but I think your videos will be a great help to some other students I know and I will definitely point them your way.

19 June, 2015 - 12:19

Found some real "gold nuggets" in these posts - thanks !

6 January, 2016 - 12:27

Helen, how do you like your spam?

6 January, 2016 - 14:38

Sorry about that. I was in the middle of deleting the spam last night, but I lost my Internet connection. It's gone now.

6 January, 2016 - 16:52

No need to apologise. It adds some spice to things and keeps us on our toes! :)

12 January, 2016 - 19:17

So, we can have this conversation in Spanish??

Por el momento estoy en los primeros videos del material gratuito, y estoy más interesada en ver que tipo de técnicas mnemotécnicas usan para poder ocuparlas en el aprendizaje de otros idiomas.
Debo decir que la pronunciación en español es muy buena y que me encantó el hecho de que explicaran la palabra "like".

Gracias por el link.
Buen día :3

10 March, 2016 - 12:43

@TimothyMoser

I'm not fluent in Spanish yet, but I have to thank you for putting this together. I have a teacher who is using around 90% immersion(In span intro) which has failed for most of the students. Watching your first 5 videos has connected dots the teacher never made mention of. I will likely do the free version of the course along with my class. Though I cannot pay you any money, I can thank you very much for the videos you have put out.

7 June, 2016 - 12:57

Mnenomics. Yes, I remember clearly how we all learned the word for 'pool' as in swimming pool. hahaha

9 June, 2016 - 15:56

It might help you to get the free book Timothy Moser is offering for a day, explaining his accelerated spanish techniques.. From what I understand it's practical mixed with theory..
I'm excited for it!

The course has really excelled my abilities to speak spanish.
Puedo hablar muchas palabras ahora. Tienes que leer eso libro, porque va a ser una ayuda.

Download our free ebook! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account, and we'll send you a free ebook with tips on how to get started.

Related content: