Anyone into Speedcubing?

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
3 January, 2016 - 22:52

Hey guys I am into Cubing as well. My best time is 7.34 seconds and I use skip OLL and PLL techniques along with WVLS and VHLS. I have been doing it for almost a year now.

4 January, 2016 - 22:18

Hi Karan,

That is very impressive. Congratulations on your result!
Me, I just started again after 34 years. I remember solving the cube as a kid. I was born in 1967, so I was 14 years old when the Rubik's cube came out.

After relearning solving the cube using the basic method, I am now teaching myself intuitive F2L.

How many algorithms are there to learn for the skip methods?

5 January, 2016 - 05:34

There are quite a few. I learned all those algorithms from this site: "http://sarah.cubing.net/". It is really nice that you have started to start cubing again. It has helped me in a lot of things including improving my memory. Just a tip, instead of creating journeys for the algorithms, very slowly perform them and do them again. This would create a mental video in your subconscious which will get triggered whenever you see the case again. That's how I remembered them. Hope this helps Kinma.
Thank you.
K.

10 January, 2016 - 09:57

Mostly my times end up between 1 minute and 1:30, though today I did have a nice, smooth run that ended up on 51.46 seconds

11 January, 2016 - 03:05

Here are more tips for people who want to go from the beginners method to full scale CFOP or also called Fridrich Method.
This is the way I approach this.

First learn intuitive F2L.
Instead of learning the 41 algorithms I move the corner and the edge to the top layer (assuming they are not already there). Also I make sure the corner and the edge are not together.
Then there are only 3 cases to solve (yellow color on the left, right or top).
Might take one or two turns more compared to the algorithmic F2L. However; you save a lot of turns compared to the beginners method.

Full scale OLL and PLL demands a steep learning curve. There are almost 80 algorithms to learn.
If you start with the 2-look OLL & PLL, then there are only 9 algorithms to learn.
The 9 algorithms that you learn are also used in the full version of OLL/PLL so this is not wasted and can always move to learn the rest.

It is a nice way as an intermediate method.

Karan; thank you for the tips. This is indeed what I am now doing. I don't focus on speed, just on seeing what moves I can eliminate in my F2L.
I focus on specific cases.
For example when the yellow corner is on top, I try to figure out how to quickly get the edge aligned to it.
What I do is, in each solve, I change all cases into this case. A (R, U2, R') usually take care of turning the corner.
I try to remember what slots are free so I can use them.
Usually I do the cross and the middle layer in 28-35 turns.

Download our free ebook! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account, and we'll send you a free ebook with tips on how to get started.

Related content: