30 dates/min by end of 2017 (mental calendar calculation)

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 3 June, 2017 - 21:45

30 dates/min by end of 2017 (mental calendar calculation)

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to get to 30 dates/min by the end of the year in the mental calendar discipline. If you're new to this, you get a list of dates and you answer with the correct day of the week. The algorithm is straight forward: get the code for the individual date components (year, month, and day), add them together, and divide by seven -- the remainder is the day of the week.

I'm currently at 16 D1M, so if I add 2 additional dates every month the schedule looks like this:

• Jun 18
  • Jul 20
  • Aug 22
  • Sep 24
  • Oct 26
  • Nov 28
  • Dec 30

In order to keep myself honest as far as the practice hours, I've decided to go the "social" route with this and submitted an iPhone App to the App Store that includes Game Center Leaderboards to create a bit of competition. I remember from speed cards practice that I generally do better if I get a chance to compare with others, rather than just practicing by myself.

In case you are not familiar with the algorithm for the weekday calculation, I have included a dynamic tutorial in the App that explains all the steps based on the last date you've answered. So if you'd like to give it a shot if you've never tried before, you should be able to do so within a few minutes of following the tutorial. Here the links:

- Facebook: http://fb.me/HumanCal
- App Store: https://appsto.re/us/hI1cjb.i

Both Facebook and App Store link include a video preview of the App. Additionally, you will find the years grouped by their codes on the Facebook page. Just place them into seven distinct memory palaces and your time should improve a lot from the calculation method explained in the App tutorial.

So if you'd like to join me on this journey and support my efforts by keeping things interesting and competitive, then please download the App and post your high scores to Game Center. Also, if you'd like more information on the algorithm for the weekday calculation just let me know. I'd be happy to clarify any questions on the calculation method.

Hope you join the challenge,
Bjoern

28 June, 2017 - 18:05

I'm aware of a couple of methods of calendar calculation. Which do you use?

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: