2012 USA Memory Open (IDEAS)

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 18 November, 2011 - 10:35

2012 USA Memory Open (IDEAS)

Hi all, sorry to start a new thread, but I wanted to devote this thread to sharing ideas about potentially making a US open memory competition with a new "experimental" format. I think we all feel (at least those who have competed in a few USA or international competitions) that there can be some changes made. Some even feel that some radical changes are in order....what do you think? I've invited Boris, Simon, and Johannes, from Germany to share their comments as well.

I'll start....

My idea is to have a competition that is more like a tennis tournament. One where competitors are seeded and go head to head to move up in the brackets. To me, having head to head matches is much more exciting and throws in the element of strategy and makes it more of a competitive game.

Then I was thinking that each "match" could be made up of best 3 of 5 sets, where each set consists of a certain amount of head to head events (you would need a certain amount of "won" events to gather points to win the set). In terms of what these events should be, I think long marathon events should be thrown out and short, fast, and exciting events should be welcomed. Those being Speed Cards, Speed Numbers (where a 100 digit number is shown and competitors try to memorize it in the fastest speed possible), Speed Words (same as numbers but with 25 or so words). Things like that....now instead of it just being a sport that involves a lot of practice and studying, it would become a sport where you have to be able to perform against your opponent, under pressure.

Share your thoughts...

Just some ideas.

18 November, 2011 - 11:13

climbformemory wrote:
My idea is to have a competition that is more like a tennis tournament. One where competitors are seeded and go head to head to move up in the brackets. To me, having head to head matches is much more exciting and throws in the element of strategy and makes it more of a competitive game.

I like it. Diversity of events is good, and new types of events will encourage people to develop new memory techniques.

18 November, 2011 - 16:58

That sounds pretty exciting. Head to head competition will build excitement and interest and develop "stars" in the media. I think it would be good to include some secondary long form events for people attempting to break official records in those area. And also a sort of accreditation program for people to prove their Grandmaster of Memory status with impartial judges without it being tied to competition.

19 November, 2011 - 12:38
Yan
Yan's picture

What about a round robin chess like style tournament instead of a knock out one? Gives a noob a better chance of survival.

2 April, 2014 - 03:16

I was thinking of making a thread like this :D You beat me to it by three years.

Looks like Nelson finally took the idea and ran with it, but he didn't make a US Open. I still think a US Open would be a good idea. Right now there are two competitions in America: One for the best MA's in the world, and one for American citizens only. I live right outside of Austin, so if I were to be in the position to handle all of this and had the inclination, I would suggest Austin as a site for the Open. West, center, and East. Especially after the validation that came from speaking with a reporter who found the Tea Party laughable, and who found the fact that the order of the decks to memorized in the final event could have been arbitrarily changed in the minute prior to memorization outrageous, the notion of petitioning whoever runs this thing for some simple adjustments to the championship, such as

"Figure out the rules ahead of time,"
"State the rules accurately," and of course
"Follow the rules."

But why bother? It's a little disappointing to me that the USAMC, our only championship, isn't accredited by the official WMC body. So if you memorize a deck in 15 seconds at the USAMC, you still aren't the world record holder in speed cards in the official capacity (I think). That may not have mattered so far, but things are changing, and in a few years, Americans will be setting world records in all categories just like everyone else, so we should have a forum that counts. I don't know much about that WMC body, neither what it is called nor what official recognition entails, but if it is possible to get an US Open going then we should do it, and I for one am willing to devote considerable time to facilitate the process.

Any more ideas or information?

I don't really think we need to revamp anything. We should just have an officially recognized competition that is run professionally.

2 April, 2014 - 05:47

YES that would be awesome :)

I'd be happy to help out with organizing something like this if it gets rolling. Sorry, I don't have any particularly interesting ideas at this point, just wanted to say I think it's a great idea.

Is it because of the format of the USAMC (with the final round, old names and faces, etc.) that it doesn't count, or is it just that there are no WMSC arbiters who come to the competition? I do think that having that final round adds some excitement to it, with the caveat that rules should be figured out beforehand. Sorry about that Lance; that was ridiculous...

Is this (no WMSC arbiters) the reason that the 2013 USAMC wasn't posted on the world memory statistics website? Or has it just not been done?

7 April, 2014 - 04:32

I don't know the specific reason that the scores aren't counted, but the USAMC scores aren't considered 'official.' USAMC as far as I know is the only competition that has events that are 'exciting' like that, until the first XMT which I am guessing is probably not 'official' in this sense either, though it wouldn't matter so much because the XMT events do not overlap with the WMC events. So I don't know if it would be possible to retain the theatrical elements of the USAMC, or what new elements, if any, could legally be introduced. Some people around here must know though.

7 April, 2014 - 05:52

AlexM wrote:
Is it because of the format of the USAMC (with the final round, old names and faces, etc.) that it doesn't count, or is it just that there are no WMSC arbiters who come to the competition?

I think it's both. For an event to be official you need to have a level 2 arbiter present, but the competition also needs to follow one of four standards, as stated on the world-memory-statistics website:

<a href="http://www.world-memory-statistics.com%5DAny" rel="nofollow">www.world-memory-statistics.com wrote:
Any event following the rules and procedures of the WMSC using one of the four official event types
are rankable. The four event types are
WMC Standard (compare WMC),
International Standard (compare German Open and UK Open),
National Standard (compare Friendly/Cambridge and Swedish Open) and
Regional Standard (compare German regionals.)

Also:
Your numbers come in rows of 20, whereas it officially should be rows of 40.
Your names are way easier (old national names I presume), here's a link to some of the names used in the South German Open. They are ridiculously hard: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=637294093026032

Though I have to agree that the events at the USAMC are way more exciting!

13 April, 2014 - 07:08

Agree with sentiments above.

I suspect XMT will bring new awareness to memory. Having 16 of the top international mnemonists in the US battling in a new format is, well, awesome.

If you're curious for details on the competitors I did some short interviews with Johannes, Simon, Jonas, and Ben about the XMT: http://www.extremememorytournament.com/news/

Download our free ebook! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account, and we'll send you a free ebook with tips on how to get started.

Related content: