What is your strategy for fitness and nutrition?

73 posts / 0 new
Last post
29 January, 2015 - 09:32

jmsmall wrote:

Nope. Fat is actually the cleanest fuel there is, especially saturated fat. Seed oils (soy, corn, safflower, etc) are full of polyunsaturates which oxidize and become unhealthy very quickly. Butter! Coconut oil! Some olive oil! What makes most of us fat is actually carbohydrate consumption, not eating fat.

Precisely!

Great to have a doctor here. Doctor, if you wouldn't mind, could you create a post on an optimal diet filled with nutrients? Understand if you are too busy to do so.

Thanks,

Bateman

29 January, 2015 - 11:50
rtr
rtr's picture

jmsmall wrote:

The "small muscle" and "stabilizing muscle" theory may not really be true. Free weights are fine as long as you have perfect form but they are higher risk for injury especially if you do fast/ballistic movements. Look up Drew Baye, Body By Science, and Fischer and Steele's articles online. The latter two are exercise researchers who found NO DIFFERENCE in strength gains between free weights and machines

But the issue raised is balance, not strength. I find it hard to conceive that professional athlete, who values balance, would choose a machine over free weights. The injury issue is valid for the rest of us. I wonder if a compromise is best, something involving pulleys like the Total Gym endorsed by Chuck Norris.

29 January, 2015 - 12:06

The low fat trend seems to have been a complete mistake.

I eat a reasonable amount of fat with every meal (avocados, nuts, seeds, olive oil, fish), and still lost a lot of unneeded weight.

I used to make coconut milk from scratch, which is far better tasting than the canned stuff. A machine like this could be useful for coconut eaters:

http://youtu.be/i2Aai383swk

31 January, 2015 - 23:31

Related post: the effect of sugar on the brain and memory.

Related to earlier comments about the human microbiome, I thought this was interesting: Oral Immunotherapy Combination Of Peanut Protein, Probiotics May Cure Peanut Allergies.

After several months on my restricted diet (partially to test for difficulties with certain foods), I'm expanding it a little bit. I'll post an update in the blog post soon. Lost almost 40 pounds and got rid of some other heath problems. The expanded diet is just as health-oriented, but just adds back the rice, wheat, oats, limited meat, yogurt, and nightshade vegetables.

2 March, 2015 - 23:03

I just saw this article about how emulsifiers in processed foods might negatively affect gut bacteria. See also the Nature.com page. It's interesting how small amounts of common food additives might have such a large effect on health.

10 April, 2015 - 13:50

To answer the question on strategy for fitness and nutrition:

Fitness: I used to be into heavy weight lifting, but then I started to travel for 3 years. Nothing as bad for your fitness schedule as constant travelling... Now that I've settled down again I started with High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) running. So far, so good. I've gained a couple of kg's in muscle and my stamina is getting pretty good. I will probably add heavy weight lifting after I reached my goal of running 2400m in 8m20s, just to see what results I can get with only that exercise.
I recently added 3 abdominal exercises (2 exercises for the '4h body' from Timothy Ferriss, the other one is just as much regular crunches as you can do in 1 minute).

For diet: I'm vegan/vegetarian. Vegan when I cook, vegetarian when I go out. Lately I'm trying to cut out sugar and try to eat as local as possible (no exotic fruits/veggies and such). I'm getting there, but it's quite the adaptation.

18 April, 2015 - 21:50

Related to the baking vs. steaming of sweet potatoes: Is reheated pasta less fattening?

A rapid rise in blood glucose, followed by a rapid fall, can often make you feel hungry again quite soon after a meal. It's true of sugary sweets and cakes, but it's also true for things like pasta, potatoes, white rice and white bread. That's why dieticians emphasise the importance of eating foods that are rich in fibre, as these foods produce a much more gradual rise and fall in your blood sugars.

But what if you could change pasta or potatoes into a food that, to the body, acts much more like fibre? Well, it seems you can. Cooking pasta and then cooling it down changes the structure of the pasta, turning it into something that is called "resistant starch".

It's called "resistant starch" because once pasta, potatoes or any starchy food is cooked and cooled it becomes resistant to the normal enzymes in our gut that break carbohydrates down and releases glucose that then causes the familiar blood sugar surge.

So, according to scientist Dr Denise Robertson, from the University of Surrey, if you cook and cool pasta down then your body will treat it much more like fibre, creating a smaller glucose peak and helping feed the good bacteria that reside down in your gut. You will also absorb fewer calories, making this a win-win situation.

I didn't read this one yet, but it might have more info: The Factors that Modify Glycemic Indexes.

19 April, 2015 - 07:36

Resistant starches are apparently very good for the intestines; they're not digested in the stomach, and thus give food to the bacteria in the intestines. Green bananas, rice, some other foods contain many resistant starches. It is not that well studied as of yet though. Here's an intro.

Bateman

21 April, 2015 - 21:34

Interesting article. I cook for a few days at a time and store the food in the refrigerator, including the sweet potatoes, so I'm probably okay. My sourdough bread is cooled, sliced, and frozen.

I'm not sure if I posted this one yet: Artificial Sweeteners May Change Our Gut Bacteria in Dangerous Ways

21 April, 2015 - 23:17
15 July, 2015 - 22:09

How the bacteria in your gut may be shaping your waistline:
http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21586269-how-bacter...

One debate concerns the villainy of glucose, which is found in starches, and fructose, found in fruits, table sugar and, not surprisingly, high-fructose corn syrup. Diets with a high “glycaemic index”, raising glucose levels in the blood, seem to promote metabolic problems. David Ludwig of Boston Children’s Hospital has shown that those on a diet with a low glycaemic index experience metabolic changes that help them keep weight off, compared with those fed a low-fat diet. This challenges the notion that a calorie is a calorie. Others, however, blame fructose, which seems to promote obesity and insulin resistance. Now a study published in Nature Communications by Richard Johnson, of the University of Colorado, explains that glucose may do its harm, in part, through its conversion to fructose.

I haven't eaten sugar since last year, and I've kept most of the weight off without much effort, despite changing other things in my diet. I also still avoid things like refined grains and juice whenever possible.

I also eat a lot of fermented food whenever possible, so this is interesting:

One examined bacteria in nearly 300 Danish participants and found those with more diverse microbiota in their gut showed fewer signs of metabolic syndrome, including obesity and insulin resistance. The other study put 49 overweight participants on a high-fibre diet. Those who began with fewer bacterial species saw an increase in bacterial diversity and an improvement in metabolic indicators. This was not the case for those who already had a diverse microbiome, even when fed the same diet.

Jeffrey Gordon, of Washington University in St Louis, says these two studies point to the importance of what he calls “job vacancies” in the microbiota of the obese. Fed the proper diet, a person with more vacancies may see the jobs filled by helpful bacteria.

1 August, 2015 - 04:12

For bodybuilding purpose I do have way more strength on a high carbs diet.

I am not a scientist but what makes us fat is not carbs or fat but simply eating too much calories.
If your body needs 2000 kcal to function normaly then if you eat 1500 calories of fat or 1500 calories or carbs, you will lose weight.

And 30 mins of workout once a week.. this is maybe enough for the average Joe but not for fitness.
Even 1h twice a week in the gym is just enough to keep your gains but you won't get better with that.. unless you are just a beginner who just started lifting..

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: