The way too fast pace of the images in my mind palace

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 21 December, 2014 - 09:55

The way too fast pace of the images in my mind palace

I have a Mind Palace which I currently use to memorize Chemistry and Biology lessons for my administration exams for studying Medicine. So, I do learn (understand) the material and manage to memorize and recall it. The thing, though, is that after some amount of reviews I feel as if it is getting way too fast. What I mean by that is that I just want to make sure when I forget something or want to recall some info from the whole database of knowledge, I just want to be able to see the pictures in my MP clearly enough to say or write it down from that picture not from what comes to mind. It is a bit hard to explain but when you use mnemonics, they are tools via which you acquire knowledge, but after some repetition it gets automatic to recall the info without the need of the specific image in which it's ingrained.
So, what I ask for is an idea or suggestion for making things stay the way they are in my MP.
(One thing to mention is that when I slow things down when I am reciting literally the lesson, at the pace of Sherlock speaking, I actually manage to see the images more clearly. This seems to be a way to go!?)

21 December, 2014 - 16:07

Sherlock? Holmes?

If that works, do it. Don't overcomplicate.

Slowing down enough to visualize the images while saying what they represent is good.

Bateman

25 December, 2014 - 14:19

Well, of course there is a period of time that I recite the lesson very slowly and steeadily (aiming for accuracy) and after that I just switch gears and just say it very swiftly, but in the hurry sometimes I forget some info, but I catch myself every time with well leant lessons.
Thank you for the reply (bow).

27 January, 2016 - 11:33

So I actually understand kind of what you mean because I am in the same situation. If you are able to remember things so fast then that's no reason to complain, but I understand you probably fear that you will forget them because you don't use the image any more to remember them.

My solution to this is to pick a time of the day, where you have some free time (The amount, I guess, depends on the size of your palace, but I usually use around 10-15 minutes right before I go to sleep, as I feel that I can visualize things best at night, but if you're a morning person (uhg :P) then use that time of day maybe) and just wander through your palaces. Go into every room and visualize what you have stored there. You will find that this will vastly increase the speed at which you can remember this stuff (even if it's already fast, faster is always better, right?) and will also reinforce it in your head so you can remember it for a long time. This way you get the speed your memory, but you don't have to worry about forgetting the image.

29 January, 2016 - 08:04

I feel like I have some trouble understanding it, but I hope I got it right.

Look at the way the brain actually remembers, and you might see why you experience what you experience. You got an MP, a set of items that your brain uses as hooks. You could imagine a neural line connecting the loci in a specific order (brain simplefied :P), each loki is a dot on that line which can sprout branches, those branches are the information. When recalling stuff, you actually go to that loci, to that neural hook, from which you ask your brain for the connection it has sprouted. So it is actually very normal to feel like you are just associating the loci with some information, because that is just the thing your brain is actually doing.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: