Super peg system multiplyers

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 28 February, 2013 - 14:34

Super peg system multiplyers

So basically i'm trying to make a system where i have either 10 or 100 pegs that can turn into 1000 or 10000. i was thinking that 1-100 will be a set of pegs then 101-199 will be the same pegs with a different background then 200-299 will get another background and so on. ill make another background for when i'm in the thousands. Anyone got any ideas for this? i read of others doing this but i cant find where i saw it. Any pointers on this would be appreciated thanx. :)

1 March, 2013 - 03:40

What Nelson did seemed like a good idea to me.
See http://mt.artofmemory.com/forums/nelson-dellis-1855.html

"To increase my images to 1000, I took each person from 00-99 and made them a "category".... 99 is a ninja turtle, so i made 199,299,399... all different characters from the ninja turtles cartoon (I use the first digit kind of like the major/dominic system to help give order to it all) 199 is april o neil, the reporter from the cartoon. 1 = a. 399 is michaelangelo (3=m)."

"34 is shaquille o neil....so all the 34's are big center/power forward basketball players:
034 - shaq
134 - tim duncan (1=a or t) (t = tim)
234 - blake griffin (2=b or n) (b= blake) I'm using a combo of major system and dominic system
etc.
76 is a computer science professor from college....so all the 76's are professors from that department
you get the idea"

1 March, 2013 - 04:39

Also check out Tony Buzan's SEM3 (Self Enhancing Master Memory Matrix...)

Gavino

1 March, 2013 - 10:10

Check out the last entry on this page:

www.ludism.org/mentat/SemCubed

I've used it to good effect. It's simple, elegant, and powerful. And mucho easy.

1 March, 2013 - 10:33

Basically, you group your numbers this way:

0-99 = major system
100-100 = any image you want
200-299 = any image you want
etc.

So that if your image for the 200 group is, say, Barack Obama, then 232 would be Obama + moon (32 = moon). You don't need a familiar action for that person, as you would according to the Dominic System, because all you're looking for is the image to tell you which group you're in.

Same for the thousands.

1000-1999 = any image you want
2000-2999 = any image you want
etc.

If the two-thousand group is Prince Charles, and your number was 2232, then you'd see a jumble or storyline with Prince Charles, Barack Obama, and the moon. It makes no difference which order the images are used, because each image stands for only one place in the sequence. The prince will always be a "2" in the thousands column. Obama will always be a "2" in the hundreds column. The moon will always be the last 2 digits because you only use the moon from your Major System and all Major System digits come at the end. In other words, whatever picture/story you create, it doesn't have to be linear, seeing as how each image belongs in only one place.

10,000-10,999 = any image you want
11,000-11,999 = any image you want
etc.

11,000-11,999 = Dr. Octopus

11, 232 = Dr. Octopus + Barack Obama + the moon. Three images for a five-digit number.

The moon comes close to the earth, cracks open, and Dr. Octopus comes out holding Obama in his metal arms. Even though you see the moon first, you immediately know that you're in the 11,000 group because you see Dr. Octopus. And since Obama is your 200 group, you know a "2" goes into the hundreds column (even though you saw him last in the sequence of 3 images). And the moon image is from your Major System, so "32" must be the last 2 digits.

Check out the page for a fuller description.

2 March, 2013 - 10:34

Let me just add that with the category system I use, the best thing about it is when you have gaps in your recall, you only need to review 100 numbers, not 1000, to figure out the missing digits. Those categories develop a certain feeling to them, so if you missed 7993945 for example (rocksteady from the ninja turtles kicking a trumpet), once you mentally counted from 00-99, you'd get to 99 and be like, "oh, it was a ninja turtle character", "oh it was rocksteady - 799" etc. Rather than having to count from 000-999.

2 March, 2013 - 13:54

well what do you guys think about if i had 1-99 pegs then 100-199 with say the ocean then just re-stuck the original into the ocean background then did that for ever consecutive hundred. then when i hit 1000 and each 1000 after that id give another background that would hold the hundreds category background with the original 1-99 peg. this way if say i did a room with 10 pegs it would turn into 1000 or if i did 100 pegs it would turn into 10000. These were my ideas for backgrounds OCEAN, SPACE, LAVA, CAVERNS, DUNGEON, JUNGLE, MUSHROOM LAND (like in warcraft the original). MARIO BROTHERS WORLD, TETRIS LAND, MOON, CLOUD/WIND, RAIN, DESERT, METAL, CRYSTAL/GLASS, BRAIL, GRASS PLAINS, MOUNTAINS, MARS, SATURN, ASTEROID FIELDS, STAR WARS/CITY FUTURE, SUBURBS, INSIDE DIFFERENT VEHICLES (bike,car,truck,tank,cruise ship,battleship, helicopter,airplane, star ship)

I was thinking start with lands then vehicles and go to different worlds at the end. This way if i make it the same for all future memory structures ill have a system that would be reletivly easy to remember. Any feed back would be good thanx. Should i wait till i learn the PAO system first then worry about this? (i just started working on it)

2 March, 2013 - 14:21

I don't know what you mean by "reviewing 1000 numbers". It's not one image per number, but rather one image per group. After the Major System (100 images), it's one image per 100 (100-999 = 9 images). Then it's one image per 1000 (1000-9999 = 9 images). I don't know what you mean by "mentally count". I've memorized the system, which image belongs in which group, so that after using it many times, the image for each group comes to me more or less automatically.

But to compress things even more, and probably to make it easier, more efficient, starting with, say, 20,000 you don't have to create an image for every 1000. You simply create an image for each 10,000 group, for example the 20,000 group, and the 30,000 group, and so on. Which means, of course, that from 20,000 to 90,000 you'd need only 8 images.

After that, just create an image for each group thus = 100,000 to 199,999, and from 200,000 to 299,999, and so on. Again, only 9 images from 100,000 to 999,999.

As for your number, 7993945, all I'd have to do is decide if I should use this kind of image system or the Dominic System. For this one, I'd place commas in the appropriate positions and see the number like this: 7,993,945. In which case, I'd have a prepared image for the 7 million group, one for the 900,000 group, one for the 90,000 group, one for the 3,000 group, one for the 900 group, and one for the last 2 digits (the Major System), for a total of 6 images.

On the other hand, if I used the Dominic System, I'd see the number like this: 79-93, 94-5 and find myself with these images = Greg Norman (GN = 79) + Nicholas Cage's action (NC = 93) + Neil Diamond (ND = 94), plus, for a final single digit, a simple number-shape system, in this case a meat hook (5 = image of a meat hook).

Which gives me, Greg Norman doing a Nicholas Cage action, and Neil Diamond singing, perhaps, while hanging on a meat hook. Of course, I'd tie all this into the imagery for the thing(s) I need to recall.

Now, those unfamiliar with mnemonics would say that the Dominic System would be faster because there are fewer images. However, if I had prepared and practiced enough with the first system, then recalling those six images would be pretty swift too. In any case, if I recall the number in 3 seconds using the Dominic System, and recall the number in 6 seconds using the first image system, then so what? If my life doesn't depend on an extra 3 seconds, then what difference is there really? A three-second difference is irrelevant if you're not concerned about speed. My goal has always been accuracy.

4 March, 2013 - 09:56

yeah, nevermind

4 March, 2013 - 11:20

hey careless cupid could you post your images for your system that does the "super" peg id like to get some other ideas for it.

4 March, 2013 - 12:42

Angel (from the X-Men)
Batman
Beetlejuice
Bullseye (from Daredevil movie)
C-3PO
Captain America
Catwoman
Centaur
Chewbacca
Cyclops (from X-Men)
Daredevil
Darth Vader
Dr. Octopus
Dracula
Flash
Frankenstein
Freddie Kruger
Giant Scorpion (from Clash of the Titans)
Goldfinger
Green Goblin
Hank McCoy (from X-Men)
Harry Potter characters
Harvey Dent (Two-Face from Batman)
Hulk
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Iceman (X-Men)
Jaws (villain from James Bond)
Juggernaut (X-Men)
King Kong
Kraken
Leatherface (Chainsaw Massacre)
Lex Luthor
Loki
Lone Ranger
Lurch
Magneto
Martians (from Mars Attacks!)
Medusa
Mr. Fantastic (Fantastic Four)
Mr. Freeze (from Batman)
Mystique (X-Men)
Nightcrawler (X-Men)
Odd Job
Paul (little alien guy from the movie Paul)
R2-D2
Saber Tooth (from X-Men)
Sherlock Holmes
Silver Surfer
Spider Man
Superman
The Joker
The Mask (Jim Carrey movie)
The Penguin
The Riddler
The Human Torch
The Thing (Fantastic Four)
Thor
Three Stooges
Toad guy from X-Men
Uncle Fester
Voldemort
Wolverine
Yoda
Zorro

plus the characters from the movie "X-Men, First Class" = Kevin Bacon character, the girl with wings and spits fire, the guy who yells, etc.

All of these are out of the ordinary. Comic books, monster movies, horror movies. Gotta love them!

4 March, 2013 - 12:44

Plus

Green Lantern
Aquaman
Wonder Woman
The Atom
Roy Rogers
Godzilla
The Mummy
Storm (X-Men)

4 January, 2017 - 01:48

basically you are adding a category for each digit ....dominic is better as it has a category comprising 2 digits.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: