Speed writing--Short hand

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 17 September, 2012 - 11:02

Speed writing--Short hand

17 September, 2012 - 13:04

I'm interested in speed writing, and a little bit in speed reading.
I'm trying to learn Gregg shorthand, but it's a little challenging to teach yourself. I think the WR dictation speed was set with that, at something like 230 words a minute with 98% accuracy.

18 September, 2012 - 09:50

simon L. wrote:

This Forum contains a section on speed reading which isn't a memory skill. What goes along with speed reading is speed writing. I'm almost a stenographer. I would like to chat with people that have a similar interest. Would that be possible on this forum? Is there any one else interested in this?

Great idea... I'm also interested in this.

Since the Mind Maps section of the forum doesn't have many posts, I've changed the name to Notetaking, Mind Mapping, and Speed Writing, because they are all related to recording ideas.

18 September, 2012 - 13:25

I'm using the Forkner system.
But given all the modifications that I've made to it, I think I should call it a personal system. Forkner is somewhat easy to learn from the book but I'm not so sure that it’s very speedy. That's why I've modified it considerably. I've been progressing steadily for years but now that I'm almost a steno, my progress has become barely noticeable. It's frustrating. I would need to increase my speed by about 10% from what it is now to be able to consider myself a steno.
I practice from reading about three phrases from a book out loud, and then I write this long hand and then I fake the steno writing once, as a rehearsal, and then I write it short hand. I used to practice more, like a whole page a day, but that hasn’t been as effective as I would have hoped. I don't bother with counting words because I find it difficult and time consuming (How many letters is a word anyway? Do you count the punctuation, the spaces? etc). Instead, I time all my tests and compare my times in terms of percentage. A 10% speed increase in my short hand speed would make me equal my normal reading speed.
Could anyone give me some advice on how to get my speed up?

Simon L.

PS. Thanks Josh for creating this new section (or renaming it) so promptly. You're doing a great job managing your site.

18 September, 2012 - 13:48

I'm really interested in this topic because I have chronic hand injuries that prevent me from writing. If I could learn a shorthand system, I could probably write more...

I'm creating some wiki pages about the topic as well:
Speed Writing and Shorthand Systems

I finish the outline for that section in about 10 minutes.

21 September, 2012 - 08:26

Hi Josh,

I think speed writing is a great skill to have. It's definitely good for the brain, according to an article that I have read. However, it’s not an easy skill to acquire. Reading one's notes is also much more difficult than reading long hand words because the same symbol can mean different words. There is also a learning curve where you work hard at first and can't seem to progress but if you hang on, then the progress gets easier and faster. So, I think that someone who wants to become a steno should have a healthy hand to begin with. Do you have injuries in both hands? Working one's writing skills with the wrong hand is also definitely good for the brain, according to the same article that I mentioned at the start.

The Forkner system appears not to be much in use anymore. I believe the Forkner book is out of print. I have read somewhere that it used to be thought widely but it doesn't seem like it's today's favorite system. I checked the page you have created. This seems interesting. I wonder though what is permitted to write in that page due to copyrights issues.

Simon L.

21 September, 2012 - 10:17

simon L. wrote:

I wonder though what is permitted to write in that page due to copyrights issues.

It's okay to use Wikipedia content, because both wikis are under the same license.

It should also be okay to write "how to" articles as long as the text and images are original.

If you would like to share your own system, I could also make a separate wiki page for that.

16 February, 2014 - 15:53

Hadn't heard of this. Curious if it is useful for note-taking or if using keywords is more pragmatic. I haven't tested yet so will reserve judgment. Thanks!

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: