Quickie Flash Cards

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 15 December, 2013 - 08:40

Quickie Flash Cards

I like Flash Cards, but what a pain to use, so...

As I just surf or read my RSS stuff, I keep M$ Excel running
I have a worksheet called General
In one Column Heading, I have a Header named Sort-1 (I have other Sort Headers for even more refinements to Filter)
As I come across things, say a neat word, I put it in a Column, then for the definition, I Insert a Comment of the definition
Besides Vocab, I have other things, such Med for medical, Say for sayings, Math, etc
I often for fun will Filter out just the Vocab, Med, etc., to review
I can cursor down, reviewing definitions, and if I need to see a definition, I stop the cursor on the word

YouTube has other neat things I can do with Excel, e.g., Randomizing, special coloring, Conditioning Formatting, etc.such as inserting an image maybe for a Memory Palace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEYwnHytGNs

Many things for Sorting/Filtering is found under the Data Tab

I like easy to use stuff once I set up something and M$ Office has many things allowing this
YouTube usually has someone showing me how--once I can form the question

9 January, 2014 - 16:13

Interesting idea... Spreadsheets can be saved as .csv format, which can also be imported into Anki and other programs.

9 January, 2014 - 21:53

You can be quite creative with a spreadsheet

I collect words I put on one page within an Excel worksheet
Column One is my Main Sort, then done more so with Column Two and so on
This way I can go over Vocab--other items I save such as Windows8 terms are NOT viewed
If I want "Vocab," "Medical" terms, then I easily show only these terms
These various Sorts can be expanded and contracted for quick and mean studying for an exam

When I want to play around with my memory palace or playing cards, on another sheet I use the Random Function
On each Refresh, I get new set of data to remember

YouTube's ExcelIsFun (and others) can provide many ideas we memory lovers can use

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: