My method to memorize a 500 page book verbatim.

48 posts / 0 new
Last post
31 January, 2015 - 14:31

i beg to differ

31 January, 2015 - 14:47

superej68 wrote:

i beg to differ

OK. But I'd like to hear your ideas. And if you have something better or simpler to recomment me I would like to hear it.

31 January, 2015 - 15:13

I think that another method which is a lot simpler, yet has a lot of memory palaces, would be, to use your memories from your past as a huge memory palace. That would also excersise your autobiographical memory.

31 January, 2015 - 15:36

30 comments later, I'm still just as confused as in the beginning.

You're trying to create a sort of multi-level memory palace, using the same palace, using colors and time to differentiate between different uhh branches of that palace. And you're trying to use some type of 1 person per 1 letter system to memorize books.

Here's something better. Just use Gavino's massive memory palace system, and my guide to memorizing books to memorize your book to whatever level of detail you want. Both of these work.

An important point to raise is, his first reply to my comment said that he will try this (for the first time) that evening. If he is not a troll, he is just an inexperienced mnemonist who thought he came up with some brilliant new idea to create a huge memory palace system. It's all been talked about before, it's been tested before, and it doesn't work that well(for most people).

Thanks for trying though,

Bateman

31 January, 2015 - 16:44
r30
r30's picture

I trolled too:

r30 wrote:

I would just link all the words in the book into 160,000 word long chain, and link every 10th word or sth to the next peg in my 00-99 object list, and reuse that list for 160,000/(10*100)=160 times. Takes much less time (I would estimate maybe even 10 times less than with your method), and is much less complicated.

I wouldn't actually use it, just wanted to make quick comparison between his and another method.

Just inexperienced. Had similar desire to become quickly famous, when I wrote my first posts. Only he got 35 comments with 30 hours - 20 more than any of my topic has received with one year :D Ignorance is bliss.

31 January, 2015 - 20:43
r30
r30's picture

And that shows that if you want to become famous, you have to do one or more of the following:

1. Already be famous - Zoomy's Ask a memory champion, 345 replies, 19,836 views (meaning even random guys come here to read about Ben Pridmore, never bothering to register)
  2. Make a topic that lot of feel a strong personal connection with - Bateman's Video Game Memory Palaces, 54 comments, 3752 views
  3. Revolutionize mnemonics - Gavino's Massive Memory Palace System, 49 replies, 13,591 views
    • Invent a system useful at competitions - Lance's Shadow System, 51 replies, 3216 views
  4. Create a 'clickbait title' (good words, Bateman :D) - The absolute method to memorize a 500 page book verbatim "in no time"
    • Write about sth that nobody understands, and makes people ask questions - the same
  5. Make yourself into Beginner's Portal

(and btw I added 'r30' before the 'Transformation Method' because gavino had added his name before his method, and I thought that I can't be a lesser man than him :D )

So, learn from these guys, soon-to-be-famous newbies :grade: .

1 February, 2015 - 03:28

Meh. It's also semi-random. I make a post, like "Best posts of Mnemotechnics", I'm like; "It's gonna explode in popularity, heck, it's gonna be the best post on mnemotechnics!" and 700 reads 5 months later.

The stuff you write r30 is great stuff, but I feel like (how do I not offend people....) 'beginners' might not understand it because it's too complicated. Your transformation method, future mnemonics, etc, is just for 'pros' in mnemonics and philosophy respectively. Or maybe I'm wrong.

Bateman

1 February, 2015 - 03:47

Bateman wrote:

30 comments later, I'm still just as confused as in the beginning.

You're trying to create a sort of multi-level memory palace, using the same palace, using colors and time to differentiate between different uhh branches of that palace. And you're trying to use some type of 1 person per 1 letter system to memorize books.

Here's something better. Just use Gavino's massive memory palace system, and my guide to memorizing books to memorize your book to whatever level of detail you want. Both of these work.

An important point to raise is, his first reply to my comment said that he will try this (for the first time) that evening. If he is not a troll, he is just an inexperienced mnemonist who thought he came up with some brilliant new idea to create a huge memory palace system. It's all been talked about before, it's been tested before, and it doesn't work that well(for most people).

Thanks for trying though,

Bateman

Thank you for your comment Bateman. Hahaha no I am not a troll (although I can be if you like). :D I just have a huge talent to finding really difficult ideas about something, that I actually really believe they will work, but most of the times they don't. I am not trolling. Yesterday I was really happy about my new thoughts! And that was the reason I posted here. I thought that I could really help people with that trouble and I was really happy to help. I would never post something here just to troll you, because I really love your site and the subject of memory. I actually feel respect about you and whoever tries to help here.

r30 says that I took a lot of comments really fast and I became famous because of my clickbate title and the really difficult solution that nobody fully understood here. About the so many comments I have to say that I am really happy.Because I believed that it will happen. Yes the title was clickbate but not to troll anyone here. Also, if you see the end of my post, I actually ask you to comment me and I said to you I wanted this. And that is because before a day I really believed in this method. I didn't mean to troll anyone here. I just was so happy that I had to share this method with all the people here, because I just admire your forum/site. That is all. Dot. If I made anybody here to get sick with what I shared, I am really sorry. :(

But if again I think something that I believe it's so good I will share it. But this time I promise you, I will have tried first for a month or a week or something, whatever, and then I will share my methods.And I will also be a lot calmer.It was just my first enthusiasm and my first post in a site that again, I really love. I was fixed without drugs when I was writting. Haven't you ever gotten such an enthusiasm? :)

Thank you a lot. :)

1 February, 2015 - 05:23
r30
r30's picture

No, no, keep going! :) I had really fun time trying to decode your impossible image.

I have done similar mistakes - maybe my Stencil Palaces perhaps (hard to understand and it isn't very useful). Also people say my lot of other posts are hard to understand - for example Bateman got my Behind->Front technique completely wrong, I had to correct what he was saying about it twice! :D Finally he just copy-pasted there what I had sent him with PM.

SKard wrote:

Haven't you ever gotten such an enthusiasm? Smile

I have been busy thinking lately (!) am I am quite excited about the below system I have developed

(gavino's first words in his MMP system)

I am very excited to know, how this method works for you.

(r30's one of his first posts - r30's Transformation Method)
I was so excited that I stayed up all the Christmas night, and all previous day, writing that post and making complete tutorial at my webpage.

Indulge me if you will, as I indulge myself.

- LociInTheSky's How I'll kill it in 2014
(He always uses such hilarious words :D. And never loses his enthusiasm when it comes to competitions and training )

As you can see, you're not the only one here :exmark:

1 February, 2015 - 05:47

r30 wrote:

No, no, keep going! :) I had really fun time trying to decode your impossible image.

As you can see, you're not the only one here !

Thank you R30! That was really encouraging for me! :)

1 February, 2015 - 06:31

Firstly, lets take a moment to think that learning a text VERBATIM is normally completely unnecessary. If you want to recall a book then use a memory palace and store the core ideas as images related to the concepts.

I don't want to appear an arse, but this method seems far too much work to be practical. If you can do it, good for you, I applaud your effort but I do think other methods may give as good results, and with less work.

My comments here gives an idea for breaking a book down over several sections and then using a palace and spaced repetition to learn the material: Spaced repetitions for entire extensive textbooks. And Bateman has the Guide to memorizing a book which goes through several steps of increasing depth.

Learning (developing understanding) material from a book is often best done by testing, see the 20 rules of formulating knowledge in learning. Really truly comprehending data will trump verbatim recall with little understanding every time.

My own technique for learning VERBATIM is to reduce the sentences to initials and then read back the initials, this gives a "tip of the tongue" moment which is important in learning and you also don't just practice reading the material but have to recall it. I take the sections of about half a page and read the encoded material, only looking back at the original where necessary.

I then test myself, most often using Anki for spaced repetition using a variety of styles of cards of increasing difficulty.

The entire sections of initials I also schedule using the 2 ^ (n -1) so I keep reading the entire sections through. As I get better I combine sections together so half a page becomes a page, then two and so on. After several months I'm reading back half a dozen pages per test.

I also use other techniques as necessary, such as adding movement to difficult passages to help cement in parts where I get confused or forgetful. Gesturing makes learning last: Susan Wagner Cook, Zachary Mitchell, and Susan Goldin-Meadow. I also try to break up my study habits so will test in different environments and at different times.

Learning a piece verbatim is really only necessary for actors, rabbis, immans, priests and those needing to perform word perfect recitals. Normally comprehending the material is far more useful.

1 February, 2015 - 07:10

liamvictor wrote:

Firstly, lets take a moment to think that learning a text VERBATIM is normally completely unnecessary. If you want to recall a book then use a memory palace and store the core ideas as images related to the concepts.

I don't want to appear an arse, but this method seems far too much work to be practical. If you can do it, good for you, I applaud your effort but I do think other methods may give as good results, and with less work.

My comments here gives an idea for breaking a book down over several sections and then using a palace and spaced repetition to learn the material: Spaced repetitions for entire extensive textbooks. And Bateman has the Guide to memorizing a book which goes through several steps of increasing depth.

Learning (developing understanding) material from a book is often best done by testing, see the 20 rules of formulating knowledge in learning. Really truly comprehending data will trump verbatim recall with little understanding every time.

My own technique for learning VERBATIM is to reduce the sentences to initials and then read back the initials, this gives a "tip of the tongue" moment which is important in learning and you also don't just practice reading the material but have to recall it. I take the sections of about half a page and read the encoded material, only looking back at the original where necessary.

I then test myself, most often using Anki for spaced repetition using a variety of styles of cards of increasing difficulty.

The entire sections of initials I also schedule using the 2 ^ (n -1) so I keep reading the entire sections through. As I get better I combine sections together so half a page becomes a page, then two and so on. After several months I'm reading back half a dozen pages per test.

I also use other techniques as necessary, such as adding movement to difficult passages to help cement in parts where I get confused or forgetful. Gesturing makes learning last: Susan Wagner Cook, Zachary Mitchell, and Susan Goldin-Meadow. I also try to break up my study habits so will test in different environments and at different times.

Learning a piece verbatim is really only necessary for actors, rabbis, immans, priests and those needing to perform word perfect recitals. Normally comprehending the material is far more useful.

Thank you liamvictor for your comment! Yes, I know these methods. I have actualy used the Memory Palace method and Major or Dominic system to memorize from Bible. I have memorized Romans chapter 1 (32 verses) and Romans chapter 2: 1 - 10 verbatim. They have actualy worked really well. Whoever asks me the verse number and I tell that verse verbatim to him, he immediately asks me how I do it. I have also memorized Psalm 1 with the pure association method. I made a connection between each word and verse number and I remember it with this way verbatim.

My problem is how to increase memorization speed to the point of reading speed. And also how to make limitless memory palaces. Actualy for limitless memory palaces a solution would be to zoom in. I mean imagine that you are a mosquito and you make a lot of mini jurneys in your room. That would bring hundreds of locis in your room only, I think.

If only I could find a really useful solution to exponentialy increase my speed. I think, that would even change the Memory Championships. If for example the world record for words is 534 in 20 minutes (random number), the next world record would be 5000 in 10 minutes just using this magic not yet known speed method :)

1 February, 2015 - 15:32

SKard wrote:

Thank you for your comment Bateman. Hahaha no I am not a troll (although I can be if you like). :D I just have a huge talent to finding really difficult ideas about something, that I actually really believe they will work, but most of the times they don't. I am not trolling. Yesterday I was really happy about my new thoughts! And that was the reason I posted here. I thought that I could really help people with that trouble and I was really happy to help. I would never post something here just to troll you, because I really love your site and the subject of memory. I actually feel respect about you and whoever tries to help here.

r30 says that I took a lot of comments really fast and I became famous because of my clickbate title and the really difficult solution that nobody fully understood here. About the so many comments I have to say that I am really happy.Because I believed that it will happen. Yes the title was clickbate but not to troll anyone here. Also, if you see the end of my post, I actually ask you to comment me and I said to you I wanted this. And that is because before a day I really believed in this method. I didn't mean to troll anyone here. I just was so happy that I had to share this method with all the people here, because I just admire your forum/site. That is all. Dot. If I made anybody here to get sick with what I shared, I am really sorry. :(

But if again I think something that I believe it's so good I will share it. But this time I promise you, I will have tried first for a month or a week or something, whatever, and then I will share my methods.And I will also be a lot calmer.It was just my first enthusiasm and my first post in a site that again, I really love. I was fixed without drugs when I was writting. Haven't you ever gotten such an enthusiasm? :)

Thank you a lot. :)

Perfectly fine. Happens to us all. Happened to me in this post. Good luck.

Bateman

26 October, 2015 - 04:27

Very interested in this but may I know how to know the ip adresses.For example,what does [1.1 - 1.10] mean?What do the hypens(-) mean?And I would also like to know if we need to always draw the drawing all the time in order to actually know where my images for my words are kept?

26 October, 2015 - 04:29

Can I ask?What do the ip adresses like the hypens in [1.1 - 1.10] mean?And can I also know whether i need to draw the loci drawing all the time to refer just like the normal memory palace method?

31 December, 2015 - 21:08

I am a beginner here...could u plz explain me..nd send me ur whtsup no

4 April, 2016 - 14:53

Hello Tariqbhat. This post here is not the same with my other posts. The method of this post will just blend your brain. I don't know how did I thought it :P (Maybe, because the time I was thinking this technique, I was very good at the subject of Networks in my engineering University.) Now, when I see this image of the loci network system I am scared :P If you want to learn these techniques, you have to start from the simple methods first. Here there is a list of books that will help you understand these methods: http://blog.artofmemory.com/my-memory-books-reading-list-34.html

You can also check my blog called Verses Into My Mind: http://versesintomymind.blogspot.com/

This blog's purpose is to help people memorize any piece of text with a method I have developed and I am also not sharing in the forum here. In the blog I first make a summary of the basic techniques and then I introduce you to my advanced technique called IGMP technique (Information Generated Memory Palace). So again, check my blog http://versesintomymind.blogspot.com/ and also, check the list of the books I gave you.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: