My Memory Books list

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 28 May, 2012 - 13:31

My Memory Books list

Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer
Memorize the faith (and most anything else) by Kevin Vost
You Can Have an Amazing Memory: Learn Life-Changing Techniques and Tips from the Memory Maestro by Dominic O’Brien
How to Pass Exams by Dominic O’Brien
How to Develop a Brilliant Memory Week by Week by Dominic O’Brien
Learn to Remember by Dominic O’Brien
How to Develop a Perfect Memory by Dominic O' Brien
The Art of Memory by Frances Yates (reading)
Remember, Remember by Ed Cooke (2 more chapters to go)
Maximize Your Memory by Ramón Campayo
The Mind Map Book by Tony Buzan
Mind Performance Hacks by Ron Hale-Evans
Ageless memory by Harry Lorayne
Living With A Phenomenal Memory: How an Ordinary Man Developed Amazing Memorization Skills by Frank Healy
Memory palace definitive by James Smith
Brighter by Gunther Karsten
Mindhacker by Hale-Evans, Ron & Hale-Evans, Marty

most of these i got and read (some i think i got, and some i haven't really read yet)
I bought almost everything dominic published. he's my favorite!
i used to read stuff by tony buzan, but all his books felt the same i think, and so i wouldn't remember which books of him i read but i looked through some. Memory palace definitive is not recommended as an epub. it's unreadable. the author recommended the realbook. I think i haven't really read all those books by ron have-evans but looked through it as well.

Enjoyed Dominic and Gunther the best!
reading frank healy but it's quite boring he's mostly just telling you about who he uses his linking stuff.
Harry Lorayne uses link method, and doesn't use loci. which i found strange. it doesn't help the ordering in things.
The art of memory is probably one source which almost all of these books use for there history of mnemonics.
too bad frances didn't practice it herself.

need any advice on a book or you have a great read you recommend, let me know!?!
i'm an addict to these books even though a lot are the same.

28 May, 2012 - 13:33

btw. i really recommend Kevin Vost his book "memorize the faith", if your religious or simply interested in it. He uses the techniques (also practiced by some great saints) to learn things like the commandments, the virtues, the 7 sins, the mysteries of the rosary. It's a good book!

28 May, 2012 - 14:35

I also recommend Memorize the Faith, although I did find that the way he recommended navigating around the rooms created was a bit random and I soon started creating my own journies and own images within the basic framework that he has you build. Definitely one of the more practical books and my first reasonably successful go at creating a real as opposed to virtual memory palace.

Gavino

28 May, 2012 - 21:05

Hey there, can anyone tell me a bit about: Mindhacker, Mind Performance Hacks and Brighter? Focusing on the topics covered in the books, please?

28 May, 2012 - 23:27

i've got an exam today, but afterwards i'll be able to tell you more! i know 'brighter' best, i do recommend it!

8 June, 2012 - 13:08

Hype wrote:

Hey there, can anyone tell me a bit about: Mindhacker, Mind Performance Hacks and Brighter? Focusing on the topics covered in the books, please?

Mindhacker and Mind Performance Hacks are good. I haven't read the other one.

Mind Performance Hacks was what got me into the techniques. Much of the content comes from the Mentat Wiki, so you can check it out there.

Mindhacker only has a short section on memory, but I like the ideas in the book. I have a partially finished review that I'll publish one of these days. :)

There is also some info here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_Performance_Hacks

10 June, 2012 - 16:25

Josh Cohen wrote:
Hype wrote:

Mindhacker and Mind Performance Hacks are good. I haven't read the other one.

Mind Performance Hacks was what got me into the techniques. Much of the content comes from the Mentat Wiki, so you can check it out there.

Mindhacker only has a short section on memory, but I like the ideas in the book. I have a partially finished review that I'll publish one of these days. :)

There is also some info here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_Performance_Hacks

Thanks a lot, Josh! <3

30 June, 2015 - 19:20

-

14 August, 2013 - 18:54

Yes... there is a lot of overlap. A cheaper way to do it is read a few of the best ones and then use the search box on Mnemotechnics.org for the rest. :)

If something is missing from the wiki, just create a wiki account and start editing...

-

14 August, 2013 - 21:03

You don't really need to read more books. Somewhere in this thread, I think Ben mentions that he only read part of one memory book, and he is a 3x world champion. :)

After you get the basic techniques down, check out the search box and browse the wiki...

-

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: