Memorizing phone numbers

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 14 January, 2014 - 14:03

Memorizing phone numbers

Having recently made a 110-digit POA system, I naturally wanted to test it out, so I began by memorizing the 17 numbers of everyone I work with. Basically I chose a memory palace and populated it with images. Right away, though, I noticed that the POA system works best with multiples of 3 or 6, whereas a phone number is 10 digits. I solved the problem by making the first Person of each locus the actual person whose number I was trying to remember.

Read more on my blog:
http://joeltagert.blogspot.com/2014/01/making-memories-memorizing-phone-...

It worked well enough, but I suspect there are still more efficient ways. I know memorizing lists of 10 digits is a very common memory task. How do you guys memorize phone numbers and such?

5 February, 2014 - 14:57

I don't use the phone much, but if someone tells me a phone number, I chunk it 3-3-2-2 or 3-2-2 (if it's in my area code). Each image has a one-syllable pronunciation, so if I only need to hold it in memory for a minute I can just store it as a three or four syllable nonsense word... otherwise link the images and place them somewhere.

There's some more discussion of phone numbers over here by a guy who memorized a phone book:
http://mt.artofmemory.com/forums/memorize-phone-book-802.html

6 February, 2014 - 06:54

I have a pretty unique way of doing this stuff but it works perfectly. I can read my 3-digit objects faster than my 2-digit objects or even my 1-digit objects. I haven't practiced with the latter 110 enough for them to be automatic. So I just memorize the digits in a string in groups of three, and when I get to the very end, I just memorize the last 3 digits as the final object.

So when I memorize the phone number 123.4567 I memorize 123+456+567. Even if I memorized 123 + 456 + 7 like most people would, it would still take 3 objects, so I just use this technique to take the images from the image list that I want to use.

A cool incidental benefit is that if I forgot the second image but remembered that the last image was 567, I'd know that the second image was either
856 or 956. So I'd only have to check through a maximum of 10 images instead of 1000 in order to find it. And this really does happen.

6 February, 2014 - 07:56

I guess you're using a 1000-number system, then? That would definitely be easier, since people naturally chunk phone numbers that way anyway. But I haven't yet convinced myself to invest the time and effort in creating and practicing with such a big system.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: