Looking for PhD thesis on memory improvement

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 8 January, 2014 - 08:03

Looking for PhD thesis on memory improvement

All brain training related works will fit and I`m also interested in information about what people should eat to improve their memory.

Found lots of information from this book:
"Improving Your Memory For Dummies" by John B. Arden
http://www.amazon.com/Improving-Your-Memory-Dummies-Arden/dp/0764554352/...

Part II: Establishing Memory Power.
-- Chapter 4: Eating To Remember.
-- Chapter 5: Supplementing Your Memory.
-- Chapter 6: Avoiding the Memory Suppressors.
-- Chapter 7: Balancing Your Mind for Memories.

So I`m also looking for the books with similar content and it has been really hard to find this type of books, because most of the memory training related books are talking about memory learning techniques.

8 January, 2014 - 12:02

Are you writing the thesis?

"because most of the memory training related books are talking about memory learning techniques."

This isn't what you are looking for?

596 - lipshtick ;)

10 January, 2014 - 15:09

A user of this forum, Lynne Kelly, has completed a PhD on memory techniques in prehistory and in non-literate cultures. Here is her account: http://mt.artofmemory.com/users/lynne-kelly
Maybe ask her and she might let you see.

11 January, 2014 - 03:52

Thanks for the mention, Bateman. My thesis is now under embargo for three years because it is being converted into an academic book to be published by Cambridge University Press under the title: "Knowledge and Power in Prehistoric Societies: orality, memory and the transmission of culture. Catchy, isn't it? I am writing a book for the mainstream with the focus on memory, rather than the application to archaeology, which is the theme of the Cambridge one.

Happy to be of help about writing a PhD thesis though, or references on particular aspects. I didn't look at food and memory, just mnemonic technologies.

Lynne

16 January, 2014 - 13:04

LociInTheSky wrote:

Are you writing the thesis?

"because most of the memory training related books are talking about memory learning techniques."

This isn't what you are looking for?

596 - lipshtick ;)

I`m writing bachelor's thesis that is connected to brain training games and I need information about factors (including food and vitamins) that affects person's memory and reaction speed. But it is so hard to find books that I need, because older books will not fit and also the books name should be appropriate for a thesis.
But information about memory learning techniques is not important to me atm, because I`m not creating the software that teaches how it is better to memorize different types of information.

19 January, 2014 - 13:48

Hi Rhal,

Try reading a book called "Smarter: The New Science of Building Brain Power" by Dan Hurley. Chapter 3 "A Good Brain Trainer is Hard to Find" will show you some research on Brain Training Games. Also, there is another chapter on drugs to improve intelligence. Dan Hurley seeks to improve his fluid intelligence through training; working memory is closely related.

Hope this helps. :-)

Thanks,
David

7 June, 2014 - 06:05

"Making a Good Brain Great" by Dr. Daniel Amen has a sizeable section on foods that supposedly support memory. Haven't read it, but remembered flipping through it in Borders some years ago.

13 January, 2016 - 01:33

Hi,
I think you should conduct a review of literature first. Narrow down the topic which would be helpful for you. Refer to some good impact factor journals such as Aging Neuropsychology and Cognition, Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics. They would help you in narrowing down the topics of research. You would be able to understand the areas which need further research in memory improvement.

Or Your Can Contact the Thesis Experts at Thesis Pal

13 January, 2016 - 13:34

Congratulations, Lynne, on being snapped-up by CUP. That's quite an achievement!

Rhal, I suspect you will find more information in journal articles than in books. However, you can find a selection of such essays in 'Superior Memory' by Elizabeth Valentine.

From the Amazon description:

Quote:

This book examines the nature and causal antecedents of superior memory performance. The main theme is that such performance may depend on either specific memory techniques or natural superiority in the efficiency of one or more memory processes.

Chapter 2 surveys current views about the structure of memory and discusses whether common processes can be identified which might underlie general variation in memory ability, or whether distinct memory subsystems exist, the efficiency of which varies independently of each other.

Chapter 3 provides a comprehensive survey of existing evidence on superior memory performance. It examines techniques which underlie many examples of unusual memory performance, and concludes that not all this evidence is explicable in terms of such techniques. Relations between memory ability and other cognitive processes are also discussed.
The remainder of the book describes the authors' own studies of a dozen memory experts, employing a wide variety of short- and long-term memory tasks. These studies provide a much larger body of data than previously available from studies of single individuals, usually restricted to a narrow range of tasks and rarely involving any systematic study of long-term retention.

The authors argue that in some cases unusual memory ability is not dependent on the use of special techniques. They develop some objective criteria for distinguishing between subjects who demonstrate "natural" superiority and those "strategists" who depend on techniques. Natural superiority was characterised by superior performance on a wider range of tasks and better long-term retention.

The existence of a general memory ability was further supported by a factor analysis of data from all subjects, omitting those who described highly-practised techniques. This analysis also demonstrated the independence of initial encoding and retention processes.

The monograph raises many interesting questions concerning the existence and nature of individual differences in memory ability (a previously neglected topic), their relation to other cognitive processes and implications for theories concerning the structure of memory.

You could always try contacting her directly. I haven't spoken to her in years, but I remember her to be perfectly accessible.

EDIT:

Sorry, it was Eleanor Maguire I met, not Elizabeth Valentine. (Blame my poor memory!) Nevertheless, Ms. Maguire was very amenable and may well be worth contacting.

18 January, 2016 - 04:42

Thank you, Graham. This is a blast from the past. The Cambridge book is here:
http://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/archaeology/prehistory/kno...

I think the next one will be of more interest to this forum - it has more emphasis on memory methods and is written for a mainstream audience. It will be called "The Memory Code" and will be published by Allen & Unwin in Australia in July and later by Atlantic Books in the UK. It's been a very long haul.

Really interested in 'Superior Memory' by Elizabeth Valentine. Thanks for the pointer. I hadn't heard of it.

I'd love an update from Rhal given his original post was 2 years ago.

Lynne

18 January, 2016 - 09:21

You should definitely check Anthony Metivier too.. his account here is named metivier and he has a site too..he has approached memory from lots of different angles..here comes the site link http://www.magneticmemorymethod.com/

18 January, 2016 - 22:32

You might want to ask Boris Konrad. I think he said that he did something in that area.

17 February, 2017 - 23:35

I would like to make my MA project work in "Memory". Is there any advice to relate memory with Project? Is there any thesis on Memory to look for? Please help! I have to give three titles to my university. This would be one.

18 February, 2017 - 15:34

There are hundreds if not thousands of dissertations and MA projects on memory improvement. I've read a ton.

Where do you live? Your local library should give you access to ProQuest. Academia is your oyster. :)

19 February, 2017 - 22:39

Thank you Dr. Metivier.
I live in Ethiopia, one of the East African country, and there is no Project paper or any dissertation done on memory. I have been searching for the past year. Now it is time to do it myself but I have to search for what is done in the past to make good paper. I am still looking on "google scholar" with no success. Is there any other websites or past papers, journals I can look for? Your help is really appreciated.

21 February, 2017 - 22:36

I couldn't find Boris Konrad's thesis in Google, but there is some information about it here:
https://www.mpg.de/4444538/S006_Max-Planck-Community_094-098.pdf

You could send him a message. I think he said that the thesis was in English, but I don't remember.

Also, The Memory Code (mentioned above) is great and should prompt additional interdisciplinary research into memory techniques. I plan to read Knowledge and Power in Prehistoric Societies soon.

8 March, 2017 - 11:19

Here is information about Boris Konrad's research.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: