How to Read 200 Books per Year

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 6 March, 2017 - 22:20

How to Read 200 Books per Year

"In the time you spend on social media each year, you could read 200 books"

I didn’t quite make 500 pages a day, but, in these last two years, I’ve read over 400 books cover to cover. That decision to start reading was one of the most important decisions in my life.

The tips:

1. Do not quit before you start -- "Anyone can do it, but most people won’t."
  2. Do the simple math -- "To read 200 books, simply spend 417 hours a year reading [at 400 wpm]."
  3. Find the time -- the average person in the US spends 608 hours on social media and 1,642 hours on TV
  4. Execute -- use environmental design to keep books nearby at all times. Form habits. Use any medium necessary: print books, ebooks, audiobooks, etc.

Full article: In the time you spend on social media each year, you could read 200 books

I used to read a lot, but I think a smartphone has reduced that considerably. I still read constantly, but it's Internet more than books. That article is giving me inspiration to fix that problem.

Share any reading recommendations in the What Are Your Favorite Books That Changed the Way You Think? and book recommendations thread. :)

7 March, 2017 - 02:20

I do agree with the fact that people who don't have time to read, usually don't because they spend that time on television, social media/social platforms or other things, but quickly calculating in my head, I feel like the 417 hours is based on 50.000 word books. Books are all written differently, but I once read that on average you can expect 250 words on a page. Larger pages can hold more words, with a4 size able around 500. Let's go with the 250 words, that is 200 pages, which is average for novels. I have many books which are 300+ pages filled with information.

That given, I read about a 100 books a year, as I usually read in train trips and stuff like that. I don't feel any need to boost that up to 200, but the article is a nice motivation to get people to start.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: