How to get faster in speed cards (memorising time and recall time)

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 12 July, 2011 - 13:48

How to get faster in speed cards (memorising time and recall time)

Hi all, as you may or may not know, I'm trying to memorise a deck as fast as I can. I would like to participate in the Cambridge memory championship in about 2 weeks, and wanted to know how I can get faster in both memorising and recalling a deck.

Before, I used to memorise a deck very vividly, but I understand in a speed card tournament I need to make images asap. Furthermore, I wanted to know how to recall the cards faster (do you have the recall deck in normal card order beforehand) and other questions like that.

This is a niche topic, and unfortunately there is not much info out there regarding this.

I would be soooo grateful if you guys could share some of your wisdom on this topic :D

13 July, 2011 - 03:44

Do you have the deck that you reassemble from in the same order every time? A have my 2nd deck always rearranged from A to K in the order: Spades, Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs.

Other than that I don't know, other than to lay down the cards you know and leave gaps where you aren't sure. Then fill in the gaps after running through the whole journey.

26 July, 2011 - 09:08

I read a suggestion recently concerning how to increase the speed with which we can memorise a deck of cards. Caveat : I have not yet tried this out!

The idea is basically that you go through your normal process at around 10-15% quicker than you can actually cope with. I know, I know, that sounds ridiculous. However, the theory is that the brain attempts to become better at the task in order to catch-up with the speed that you are going through the cards (essentially it's similar to the idea of putting our muscles under increased stress with heavier weights in order to make them stronger, rather than continuing to use weights that can be handled comfortably).

1 August, 2011 - 21:37

Hi everybody,
Can we use Harry Lorayne system to memorize a deck within 1 minute? Thanks for your advice & instruction.

1 August, 2011 - 22:37

Richie_UK wrote:

[ ... ] the theory is that the brain attempts to become better at the task [ ... ]

Caffeine is right, just work the associations first and worry more about memorization when the first bottleneck is widened a bit. Associations get stressed first in the process, meaning in the beginning your time spent in actual memorization is inefficiently short in proportion to the time spent dealing with the first obstacle so you might as well concentrate your effort on forcing associations. Serializing works here.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: