First deck memorized!

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 4 April, 2014 - 08:35

First deck memorized!

Hello all!

Well I just attempted my memorization of a full deck of cards. And I did it! I spent a few days going through each suit to make sure I knew the associations. Today was the first time I tried to remember the order! I'm pretty excited about this. My time was 9'20. I'm pretty blown away that people can do this in under a minute!

Are there any specific tips for getting my time down? Any particular ways / techniques that I can practice that'll help?

B

4 April, 2014 - 09:45

I just did my second deck in 7'18! Managed to shave off 2 whole minutes!

4 April, 2014 - 09:49

(inb4 the second deck)
Well done.

Just by doing it a couple more times, you'll probably drop below 5 minutes within the next 10 decks or so. Make sure to switch between a couple journeys, probably 3-4 is best, to reduce ghost imagery.

A tip: Go over the whole deck as fast as you can, without memorizing, but just see the images. Try to do it under maybe 2 minutes. See which cards you get stuck on, and practice those more. Also, practice your journey in basically the same way. Know exactly where each locus is, how it looks and feels.

My first deck took maybe 20 minutes, but I started memorizing basically 10 minutes after I learned the method. It was a simpler method, basically you use major system for numbers, and the first letter of the suit. So 2 of spades would be S-N for example snow.

Also, what system are you using? PAO?

Bateman

4 April, 2014 - 09:50

There ya go. In the beginning there is massive improvement.

4 April, 2014 - 09:51

Congratulations, that's a really fast first deck. You don't really have to worry about technique for now. If you memorize a couple decks every day you'll be down to 5:00 before you know it. But keep an eye on what cards are giving you trouble. If there's a card that gives you consistent trouble, change it. I use 2704 images to memorize cards - I made those images many months ago and I still change images up all the time. Even now that the 2014 USA championship is over I'm going to go back through and change perhaps the 100 worst in one sitting! It's evolution of your skill by natural selection in your system :). It's an ongoing process, so don't be afraid to take a little step backwards now if you think it'll make you faster in the future! But for now just work with what you have. If you memorized
A deck five days ago I bet it would have taken you 15 minutes at least, right?

4 April, 2014 - 09:52

See, Bateman and I are in agreement so that's a good sign! Practice those more OR replace them. Just know that replacing them is an option.

4 April, 2014 - 09:58

Hehe.

I'm guilty of not changing images when I should have. For example, person number 52 was ALbert EiNstein for me, but almost every time I saw it I thought Liam Neeson. But I could not bear to remove Einstein from my list, I mean, he's such an important person.. In hindsight, I probably should have just switched Einstein to person number 20, just using his last name eiNStein.

So yes, Lance and I are in agreement, and even commented at almost the same time :P

9 April, 2014 - 18:52

Or whenever I miss something like 717 catacomb, which is an arch made of human bone, I think "It's just a structure. I probably have like 300 structures of roughly the same size, why wouldn't I forget?" So now, the catacomb crumbles. 326 and 784, mineshaft and cavern, were both similar gaping openings, one was geological, but that doesn't matter much! After confounding these 2 or 3 times, the mineshaft is now boarded up, but the boards are weak and easily destroyed by an object entering or exiting the mineshaft, and the cavern has stalagtites that drip and form a puddle that something can splash in. Ahh, that's better! With 2704 objects, I just have to memorize a lot and when I forget something and figure it's because the image isn't well figured out or isn't very distinct, it is usually altered and made more interactive and vivid in some way rather than thrown out. It's a slow process, but it makes me better and better over time. In a year or two, all of my objects will be really strong, especially since I can just focus on one or two of the weaker ones every day. It's important, maybe necessary, in order to reach the highest echelon eventually.

From my journal:

December 9, 2013 - 11:54pm.
3) 360, 3/Locus, 50/50 (48BPM) Ok, this was the best yet. Got 331/360, BUT there were really only 5 images missing altogether...The other errors were 2 Switched-order errors and one where I put 326 instead of 784. Actually I put 784 first and then CHANGED it. It was BOUND to happen eventually - make these distinct, seriously!

Ok, now 326 is boarded up, while 784 is open as always, dripping and cold...

10 April, 2014 - 14:17

Congrats Bradley! You will soon see quick improvements! One piece of advice I found helpful is with regards to my journey. At one point around the 1:30 mark I started to fail constantly even though I could see my images, I realized later what it was, my journey was too generic, too many rooms with similar layouts viewed in the same point of view. It was then I had to create weird landmarks in each room to make my images stick and even though it slowed me down at first because now I had a new looking room it helped make the images stick and eventually I regained my speed. If you ever find that particular rooms give you trouble again and again, focus on it and add something weird for your person to interact with. Example, in my old room I removed the bed and put a bowflex machine, in my parents bedroom I removed the bed and put a big cat statue, it just made the room different than just being 2 rooms with beds. Hope that helps!

Livan

9 June, 2016 - 08:54

Hey,

Does anyone have a tutorial how to start learning memorizing a deck of cards? I don't really find the skill useful, but I would like to see if I could do it.

22 June, 2016 - 21:42

Have you learned the memory palace technique yet? I would recommend trying that (see the Beginners Portal) and then use the Major System to create images for cards.

We will have a basic card memorization tutorial soon.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: