Does Speed-reading Work?

57 posts / 0 new
Last post
9 October, 2013 - 11:16

Hi Iam,

Welcome to the forum.

First, since you posted this exact text over 10 times or so, I thought you were a spammer.
I was about to delete some posts of yours when I saw that in other threads you actually tried to add value.
Don't do that again, please. No need to post the same text over and over again.

I can vouch for this technique btw.
I use it in a similar, but different way, which I described here:
http://mt.artofmemory.com/forums/recommended-speed-reading-books-723.htm...

9 October, 2013 - 16:45

I want some of what Iam is taking.

That's some kinda coffee.

Best reading posture is looking down at a book propped up on a desk. Not looking straight down at a flat book on the desk. You should not be reclining (gets you sleepy, I'm sleepy already).

P

edit by Kinma: deleted double post.

12 October, 2013 - 10:00
Iam
Iam's picture

Sorry for the rampant post. I was just looking for where more people will read it. I won't do it again.

4 November, 2013 - 17:39

The goal of speed reading is to increase the amount of text that can be read and understood in a given period of time. I have never heard of a person reading for comprehension regularly. Most people don't actively read for comprehension...ever. If you read all of the posts in this thread down to this one, how many of those posts would you be able to tell me about right now? If I asked you to recite the details, you wouldn't stand a chance. If I asked you to just give me the gist of each post...you still wouldn't stand a chance. But I think if you began each post with a priming "what might I expect from this next post?" and ended each post with a reflective "what was I just told?" then your answers would be very different. Surely you wouldn't say that the paucity of details you could recite from this thread is the result of you reading too fast for a high level of comprehension. If you actually read each post, not skimming or skipping, then you probably did so with the intention of considering what was being said, and you probably did not ever say "I have to slow down. I just can't absorb information at this speed..." But I hope you would also agree that even at the same speed that you read, your retention could have been much higher (no mnemonics - that's cheating!) and this could have been achieved merely by noting your intention to remember what was being said, and very quickly recapitulating the main point of each small section. A person who did this regularly would surely develop the habit, and get better at priming themselves for retention of read information. More information could be retained from information read over the same period of time using this just-made-up technique or some similar one.

Is that not speed reading?

4 November, 2013 - 19:52

You seem to have everything but a point. Yes, reading with a purpose in mind improves what you can get and retain. But that is true of any activity. People do intend to comprehend and retain when they read or they would be watching television.

Any ideas you can spill out in a single paragraph are going to read like a stream of consciousness but the point here is to form and express an opinion about the topic. Take an idea, yours or anyone's, and tell us what you think of it. Stay on point and tell us where it gets you but we need to get somewhere. Get some sleep and some protein.

P

27 February, 2014 - 07:21

This is a really useful discussion on speed reading. I was just reading Buzan's Use Your Mind book. I am wondering if his speed reading can work effectively without decreasing comprehension.

I know what Josh Cohen says here:

Josh Cohen wrote:
ladytigger wrote:

if anyone has info or any more tips let me on reading better

Maybe try memorizing poetry. I've found that I understand English much better after reciting poems in my head almost every day for a couple of years. Also, I can understand archaic forms of English better after memorizing some poems by older writers like Shakespeare, Milton, and Chapman.

What I would love to hear from others is to do with reading novels. Can you really read a long novel such as 'War And Peace' and genuinely appreciate its aesthetics virtues? I'm going to apply Buzan's strategies to works of fiction. I'll try and come back here in two or three months' time to report my adventures! In the mean time, it would be lovely to hear from other lovers of novels. Have you ever tried to read a Pulitzer or Man Booker Prize winning novel within two or three hours?

Best wishes :)

1 August, 2015 - 12:39

For those who are interested in Speed-reading competitions, there is a speed-reading contest about to be included in Memoriad 2016, next year in Las Vegas, USA. http://www.memoriad.com/categories.asp
http://www.memoriad.com/rules.asp#ktg11 Rules:

Quote:

The competitors whose rate of understanding is under 60% will be disqualified. In case of ties in the first three ranks, a second test including additional questions about the text will be given to the competitors in equal ranks.

Photographic speed reading points will be calculated as the multiplicatin of reading speed value and the rate of understanding. Let’s say a competitors raw reading speed is 1400 words per minute and his or her rate of understanding is % 70, then the total points count is (1400x0.70=) 980 words per minute or points.

The contest prizes are on the scale of a few thousand dollars. So, I invite any person (Mr. Howard Berg or anyone) that strives to be the champion speedreader, to compete in that contest. We will then see, who is the best unofficial speed-reader in the world. I plan to compete in that contest (hopefully). And I say unofficial, because unfortunately other famous speed-readers of the past, like Kim Peek (Rainman), are now deceased. Also, unofficial, because the text will probably only offered in English, whereas other very fast speed-reading people like Ramon Campayo would definitely prefer this contest in Spanish. Plus, I am sure that there also many Indians, Japanese, Chinese could definitely speed-read extremely fast in their native languages. So, this contest will probably seek the fastest speed-reader of the English language.

Anyway, my predictions for this contest:
There have been many extraordinary claims in the last decades, about the true human limit of speed-reading (25K or 50K words-per-minute(WPM), occasionally mentioned in some books or by some website test takers), Therefore, we will finally see in Memoriad-2016, a reliable, true and quantitive measurement of the best human's real comprehensive speedreading speed. This will be done from an international independent authority/corporation, like Memoriad under the auspices of Scott Flansburg. Because of the prizes involved, the motivation will be huge, so the result will be a close real estimation of the ability of the best human speed-reader in the world. I estimate this real limit to be around 4K words per minute, because points are deducted and correlated to the true comprehension and not merely indicate skim-reading or other 'photograph-memory' claims.

But of course, the upper speed is always dependent on the difficulty of the given text. If it's about some heavy technical material like Integral and Vector Calculus, the upper speedreading limit may be just barely 2K WPM. In contrast, during some easy romantic novel reading, this limit could be well over 10K+ WPM.

Regarding speedreading in the English language, I disagree with it having to be done in your native language (as Kinma said). If you are at C2 level in some language, combined with a vast vocabulary, then imho, there's is no problem to speedread in other foreign languages as well.

Regards and finally, thanks for all the hyperlinks and for the nice discussion
Nodas

26 September, 2015 - 10:11

I do think speed reading is fun to do, and it can be useful dependant of your expectations. I don't expect to comprehend everything when speedreading, but instead I want to know what the text is about, very similar to skimming. An easy to read novel goes with about 1500-2000wpm for me on a good day, and I comprehend enough to understand the main story line, the characters, etc. I won't be able to tell you the color of the curtains of the bedroom, but I will be able to tell you one of the main characters was shot there.

Harder to read books go slower, sometimes down to 100wpm. I did use a lot of speed reading in college, where I went through the books with 2-3 times the speed of others, while getting a main idea of the content. I then grabbed my notebook and read the book again, but slower, and I made notes during that, linking the details with the things I picked up during speedreading. Studying went very easy.

19 October, 2015 - 20:37

I saw this online today, but I'm not convinced that this kind of speed (with recall) is possible.

20 October, 2015 - 03:40

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Those are my thoughts. Wouldn't it be more mainstream if it were true? Will be very interesting to see the numbers for speed reading in the Memoriad 2016 competition. I hope they will use textbooks and not novels. Than test comprehension on definitions and concepts, not names/years or other trivia. It doesnt have to be super hard questions but the reader should have to expand the answers and the answers should not be found in only one location. Examples, after reading a 30 page chapter on Object oriented programming: "give examples of when and why you would use an abstract class i Java" or "whats the differences and similarities between an interface and an abstract class ".

These are my experiences on the subject: I practiced this every day for 2 months than once/twice a week for a few more months:
I increased speed and comprehension but only on non-textbooks. Whenever i tried this with computer related textbooks i gained no speed if i wanted to retain my comprehension. The only thing which have really worked for me to improve my comprehension is visualization (and im not really a visual learner). The faster i read the less time i have to visualize. I have come to the conclusion, "if i cannot visualize it, than i don't fully understand it".

20 October, 2015 - 03:47

and wasn't there someone who put out a 1 million (or other sum) speed reading challenge a long time ago, and nobody accepted it? Or was this just me wishing i had the money to create such a challange, hahaha.

20 October, 2015 - 04:18

For as far as I can see, it is very fake. The quality is crap, but I can't see any body language signs of the girl actually recalling something. Also, the show host does not seem the slightest surprised. If someone would pull off some skill like speedreading that fast, I'd expect the people around to be surprised.

Something made me laugh though, something that happened at the end, 5:50. Where did I see that before? The distancing verbal language ("This young lady did not see this book, the pointing finger while looking in a different direction than where the finger points.... Oh yea, Bill Clinton's "I did not have sexual relations with that woman"... The host even ended with bringing his hand towards his mouth, while I can't see exactly what his hand went to do there, I can guess. It's called a 'self hushing emblem' in the psychology, it is a smaller and more subtle version of the self hushing kids do when they tell a lie (covering their mouth with their hands).

See Bill Clinton here and do compare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiIP_KDQmXs

In body language things have to add up, and when someone is using the pointing finger gesture like the host and Bill Clinton, they will also look in the same direction as where their finger points, if what is told is true. When lying, the pointing and the looking both go in different directions. But in the end, one thing isn't enough to base a judgement on, but combined with the distancing ('this young girl', 'this book' rather than the names), accentuating ('did not' rather than 'didn't'), the self-hushing emblem, the girl not seeming to recall anything but rather follow something that was scripted and the fact that no one seems even slighty (genuinly) surprised, I am not buying it.

Psychology can be such fun :P

29 October, 2015 - 07:17

To stay on topic, I think measuring Speed Reading in an actual contest within a controlled environment (by judges, witnesses and referees, like in WMC) is a much more accurate and reliable representation of the true Speed Reading human limit, rather than doing it in TV show; where we all know that there so many 'set-ups' which happen behind the scenes.

So, I have recently checked all the actual Speed Reading results of the recent Turkish Memoriads. (the reading test is taken in the Turkish language). For the record, 'Turkish Memoriad' is an annually-held competition similar to the 2 international Memoriads that have already taken place (in 2008 and 2012), but usually only Turkish competitors compete in the Turkish annual contest. Mr. Melik Duyar does a great job organising all those contests.

All the Speed Reading results for years 2008 until 2015 are located in this page:
http://www.memoriad.com/index.asp?s=kategoriler&b=kategori-detay&kategor...
There are listed 111 Speed Reading human competititors and there are their results/data from 6 Speed Reading competitions in the years '08, '09, '12, '13, '14 and '15,

To summarize the results: This may surpize you, negatively. Appararently the highest Speed Reading rate on record in all these years, in all competitions, is made by Mr. Mehmet Altunpinar in 2013 and it stands at 828 w.p.m. (words-per-minute) ( his actual reading speed was 1104 w.p.m. with an understanding of 75%, therefore 1104 * 0.75 = 828 w.p.m.).

I don't wanna judge 828 w.p.m., since it is an excellent reading rate compared to your average folk. I only want to mention 2 more things:

1. It's much less comfortable to speed read an unknown text at a competition, with the extra pressure of delivering a good result, rather than to speed read the text of your choice in your leisure at home. The same happens in WMC. Many competitors have much greater scores in their home training rather than in the actual WMC competition.

2. Having seen the actual 828 w.p.m. record, in all Speed Reading contests and given that Turkey is pool of about 80 million people, I estimate that inside a prospective international Speed Reading competition of let's say 100 international highly motivated competitors, then the winner could probably have around 2K or 3K w.p.m.
Therefore, I want to lower my previous estimate of 4K per minute, to around 2K w.p.m. But let's wait and see the actual results. Next year, there will be around 300 Memoriad competitors in Las Vegas, Memoriad 2016. But I don't know how many will take up to sit for the Speed Reading task, because it is a relatively new one. In my opinion, anyone that will reach an actual 4K + w.p.m. (comprehension included) within a big competition, within a controlled environment, then he/she deserves to be mentioned as having an extraordinary ability

Finally, if you happen to see any other actual results of other Speed Reading competitions (from schools or universirties, within controlled environments) feel to share them. Thanks in advance!

Nodas

6 March, 2016 - 06:06

Wasted to many hours and money on speed reading techniques and training. I just in the end cherry picked certain tools which could be useful.
First here is a novel idea, maybe focus on mastering comprehension first, speed naturally follows. It is easier to "speed read" a subject that you understand already.
I play around and tailor my tool set to each type of reading.
So normally for non fiction text book reading I would:
1. Read the contents, Introduction at normal pace.
2. Read the introduction of each chapter at a pace I can understand what I am about to read. Do the photoreading page scan of the chapter.
3. "Speed read" the chapter marking important sections/diagrams/boxes that I need to come back to.
4. Read summary for comprehension, I then judge how much I really understand.
5. Then go back and read the marked important stuff.
Optional 6. Create keyword diagram if I have time, or need to study.

I would also sometimes start with pop, dummies,elementary type books to get some comprehension about a subject, not too ashamed about it. If I must start with a high school level book about something, I will start there.
You got to let go of your ego, and not be afraid to seek simple sources to gain comprehension.

14 July, 2016 - 15:15

New unified rules for Speed Reading for the Memoriad contest.
and a new video synopsis with the new standards/ rules of Speed Reading ( video posted 8th-July-2016) :

Quote:

SPEED READING (ON PRINTED MATERIAL)

Time to Read: 5 to 30 Minutes (Depending on the Reading Material)

Time to Answer: 5 to 30 Minutes (Depending on the Question Types)

Reading Stage

This competition is open to everybody whose speed of reading is 400 words or over per minute.
In this speed reading category the reading material is a printed text on paper. An unpublished long new text, book or booklet not met before anywhere is given to the competitors with timing.
Reading starts with the timer on the competitors’ computer screen. The competitor finishing his or her reading text signals the referee and the referee stops the reading timer on the computer of that competitor. As soon as the reading timer is stopped, the competitor gives the closed material to the referee. Then the competitor waits silently for others to finish their readings.
Answering Stage

After the given maximum reading time is over, or after all the competitors finish their reading stages, a comprehension test about the read text will be displayed on the screens of all the competitors.
Even though the reading is on printed texts, the comprehension test is applied by the "Memoriad Speed Reading Competition Software". The competitors enter their answers via their computer keyboards.
The competitors can go back and forth through questions, change their answers any time as long as they do not end their answering stage.
The competitors can use the maximum time given for the answering stage. The finishing time has no contribution to the competition score.
The competitor who is confident that he will not change his answers does not have to wait until the answering stage time is over.
As soon as the competitor finishes his answering stage, the software shows his scores on his screen.
The competitors whose comprehension rate is below 60 % is disqualified and the speed reading score is "0".
Scoring

"The rates of understanding" or "Comprehension Rates (CR)" are determined according to the number of correct answers.
The competitors whose rate of understanding is under 60 % will be disqualified.
In case of a tie in the first three ranks, a second comprehension test including additional questions about the text is given to the competitors in equal ranks.
Speed reading point or what is called "Calibrated Reading Speed (Calibrated RS)" is calculated as the multiplication of the raw reading speed (Raw RS) value and the "Comprehension Constant (CC). Please read the Speed Reading "Record Standards" section for more information about the "Comprehension Constant (CR)" and other terms. Let’s say a competitor’s raw reading speed is 1000 words per minute and his or her rate of understanding is % 60, then the corresponding "Comprehension Constant (CR)"is 1.00 (see "The Standards of Scoring" section in speed reading "Record Standards page). Under these conditions total points count is (1000 x 1.00=) 1000 words per minute or points. The total point is also called "Calibrated Reading Speed (Calibrated RS)".
Ranking Rules For Speed Reading Categories
Subjected to the rules given below and the speed reading "Record Standards", the competitor who gets the top score wins the event.

Rules for First Three Ranks

As per decision taken by Memoriad Committee in 2015;

The "Speed Reading Champion" title is not given to anybody whose raw reading speed is lower than 625 words per minute.
The "Speed Reading Second Place" title is not given to anybody whose raw reading speed is lower than 550 words per minute.
The "Speed Reading Third Place" title is not given to anybody whose raw reading speed is lower than 450 words per minute.

Hopefully, these new rules will make it easier to compare between competitive speed-readers. And will probably also help any researchers (neuroscientists/psychologists etc.) who may want to conduct some benchmark studies for their future papers on competitive speed readers.

Nodas

14 July, 2016 - 17:28

I'm looking forward to seeing that event. :)

2 August, 2016 - 15:26

I currently train for the "Speed Reading competition in Memoriad 2016", which will happen in 3 months.

A training problem which I faced, is that one has to turn the book pages very repetitively, either manually/physically or electronically/digitally.

This can cause RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury) in both cases:

1. On physical/manual Speed Reading. There mainly, either the wrists or the finger/phalanx tendons can be strained if the pages are turned consistently very fast, in a rate of a few seconds. (2" or 3" per page). But thankfully, I don't have Carpal Tunnel problems or anything RSI related.

2. On electronical/digital Speed Reading. This sounds like an "easier Speed Reading mode". But one still has to press a button to turn the page. (either "Page Down", "Space" or "Enter"). So, the finger tendon which presses the keyboard button every 2 seconds for a whole hour consistently and repetitively, can also become strained.

So, I found a really cool auto-clicking program called "AutoMouseClicker" where you can set the automatic clicking intervals.

Doing so, then the pages turn by themselves. Therefore Speed Reading becomes a lot of easier. So no more worries about any RSI. I currently set an 1.5" interval per "page change" and the program does the "turning" chore for me.

The next step is to get a casual rest of the optical nerves in both eyes, which obviously cannot cope with such high-speed reading modes all the time. Maybe it's possible for a just few hours, daily; depending on how adapted are your eye saccades to perform such an activity.

Another step is to get good eye-nutrition (such getting lutein from tomatoes, or beta-carotene for eyes ) and foods with B6 vitamin which helps regulate the nervous system.

Overall, it's fun processing information, quite fast. The major advantage is that after you finish with all the fast reading, you get lots of free time. And free time is always valuable.

So, good luck to anyone who is trying Speed Reading. Even as hobbie, it can save you lots of time.

Nodas.

26 October, 2016 - 09:06

Best of luck to you in the competition. Be aware there are often unexpected conditions that surprise competitors when an event begins. These are often surprises for the contest planners as well. Leaving room to allow for such disasters can give you an advantage over other competitors.

Not to brag but as I mentioned long ago the most comfortable speed reading I used to do was at 6 to 700 WPM, not far from the 800 number stated recently.

Reading through this thread after so long I am reminded why I do not speed read anymore. When I take time to read I am not in any hurry. In fact when I finish the book I wish there was more of it. Back in school the goal was to get finished with a book and onto the next but now it is reversed. Finding a book to enjoy is not always easy.

If there is still any interest I would be willing to write up the old Rapid Reading drill we used to do in the EW class. It will not take quite as much space as the last method, as long as I don't post it too many times.

26 October, 2016 - 11:10

Hi Plungerman,

Thanks a lot for your wishes. We will be 31 competitors for the Speed-reading categories in 2 weeks in Las Vegas. It's about half an hour of speedreading. There are 2750 $ and 3 medals involved, just for this category, so I hope to do well.

But currently, I'm occupied with arithmetic and calendar training , so I haven' managed to do enough speedreading drills, so besides speed-reading some US travel guides (a few dozens of them), which I enjoy because their relate to my trip.

But I think at this moment, this kind of speedreading training does not matter much, and my performance will depend heavily on the content of the given text on Nov. 10. (day of the competition).
If I'm not very bored from the random text, (e.g if it would something like random fiction literature) then I'll try to answers all multiple questions correctly after speedreading the (printed) text. I don't know the page format, but if it's formatted like a normal book, I'll aim to speedread about 2 or 3 pages per minute.

The word count numbers like "1K or 2K" WPM or so, don't mean as much as the medals do. And for your info, the Turkish Memoriad 2016 winner, 3 weeks ago had about 966 raw WPM with 60% comprehension, therefore around actual 580 WPM. These are actual numbers and facts and not unsubstantiated claims. The Memoriad organization has lots of witnesses and is strict about the validity of records.

I know people claim to read higher than that, but that winning score of around 580 WPM happened in an actual competition which mattered. Also, on the Memoriad rules it's set that the Speed-Reading winner has to read at least 625 raw WPM, to get the Gold, otherwise no winner will be declared.

So, obviously the actual goal of this competition is to browse the text at least with 60% comprehension
and NOT to "read" with 10K+ WPM (which is usually skimming and not reading anyway)

I'll keep you updated here about the actual speedreading scores of the contest in Vegas.

Regards,
Nodas

27 January, 2017 - 02:52

Word for word reading creates a single focus point without distraction of moving or pointing a pen or object. It narrows the peripheral vision, so I recon one should do exercise that widens this to compensate long term result towards narrow field vision?

I am using Readsy.co and input txt files derived of pdf versions of books. This goes up to 800wpm. I have noticed that by pushing the wpm increases the strain put on the mind, but after recovery (I take power naps) the comprehension of the text stretches.

Has anyone tried speed reading with one text running with a delay on a different eye? As in one eye reading ahead and the other reading it a second time.. This is just a wild guess but using both eyes to read one word at the same time seems regarding the subject a deprivation of information or input.

I am aware that we are not mantis shrimp, but adaptation is human strongest ability, so I recon this could be trained..

27 January, 2017 - 16:58

Wow, this is a big discussion. I wonder if there will ever be a time when I feel qualified to answer a question. Well I'm going to do it anyway.

The idea of speed reading has always been a appealing one, especially with my relatively recent beginnings in college, and I naturally started looking into it after I heard about it. Now I would not say that the research I conducted was exhaustive by any stretch but I did stumble into an interesting facet to this problem that, forgive me if I am mistaken, has yet to be examined; The physical aspect to speed reading. Now I am not going to to try to explain it myself as I have not researched the topic in something like a year, long before I used memory techniques so I'm not that trusting of the memories lol, so I will link to videos of a you-tuber who very eloquently explains why speed-reading, while potentially possible, is limited by the physical capabilities of the human eye. The you-tuber in question is called Thomas Frank and his channel is a great resource to anyone going to college or trying to be more productive in life.

The video in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv2BdHXRD3Q (part 1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL4WMHyUhdc (part 2)

Well that's my two cents, I hope it sparks someones interest. Christian

P.S. I am not terribly familiar with the forum rules on posting youtube links, I have seen some others post them so that's what I am going off of but if it is a problem let me know and I will gladly take them down and put the video titles up instead.

30 January, 2017 - 15:55

It's okay to post relevant YouTube links as long as it isn't self-advertising. We even have a video section, though it needs some work. :)

17 March, 2017 - 05:36

Hi,
I bought the book "Remember everything you read" by Stanley D. Frank. I want to ask if someone could give me a link to a site that explains (or could explain to me or give me a link to a video on YouTube) what he means by "layered reading" in Chapter 4?

Thank you,
if this is against the rules you can delete the post.

1 April, 2017 - 23:11

If I wanted to look into speedreading what are some of the better books on the topic?
Along with that... on whether or not literature could be truly appreciated using speed reading here are some thoughts I have thrown around in my mind.
I do love literature fiction and non-fiction and there are some non-fiction books I don't think I'd care to speed read. However, there are some novels I would love to be able to read but lack time. I have a long list of classics I would like to read due to the fact that I did not grow up a reader. So, if I went to read a novel, I could approach it with speed the first time around. If it was a novel worthy of further/deeper reading then I could re-read it (possible with speed again). And lastly, I could read the book a normal pace. By reading it once or twice with speed I would have a general (or hopefully more than general) lay of the land. Then upon reading it at a regular pace I might be able to enjoy the greater depth of the reading experience and get to know the book better. A good friend of mine, who is not a fan of speed reading, told me "you have not really read a book until you have read it four times." He discusses the multiple layers of reading which is fascinating and I feel like they might be compatible with the idea of speed reading a book multiple times.
Anyhow, none of my thoughts mentioned above are concrete as I certainly have not tested them. The friend I mention is worthy of a listen. He is not a memory champion and not a fan of speed reading. However, he is a serious reader and loves to open up texts at the deeper levels. http://www.hogwartsprofessor.com/
Thanks!

17 April, 2017 - 18:44

Thanks,
even though I didn't / don't understand your post. I kinda get what he says about layered reading. Also there is a system he teaches (Mr Frank) that says that you have to read the text / book multiple times to understand it fully.

I'll try to post my experiences when I can.

Thanks.

19 April, 2017 - 09:25

The layered reading and reading something 4 times, may be referring to the SQ4R reading method.
it stands for SURVEY, QUESTION but the 4 R's vary. Usually READ, RECITE, RECORD, REVIEW. or READ, RECITE, RELATE, REVIEW or READ,RECITE,REVIEW,REFLECT.
I don't think it matters what the R's are called, they all direct you to read in layers for a purpose.
I tested this method against my own READ, TAKE NOTES, CROSS FINGERS system.
Actually the SQ4R method is faster because I remembered so much more, saving a lot of review time.

a few links you may find helpful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbMlIPgqXB8
https://sixth.ucsd.edu/_files/_home/advising/SQ4R.pdf
https://www.concordiacollege.edu/directories/offices-services/academic-e...

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: