Card deck memorisation - post your times here!

1233 posts / 0 new
Last post
8 July, 2016 - 12:00

Everett! Congratulations. Well done.

8 July, 2016 - 13:06

Congratulations! :)

9 July, 2016 - 07:09

Hi Everett can you share, what kind of system you are using for cards? PAO? two cards? What kind of system?

9 July, 2016 - 11:12

Thanks, Josh and Tracy!

suryasekhar - I have 52 images; some are people and others are objects. I put two images per locus and have all three things interacting in some way. One thing that I'm trying to do is memorize the links between images. There are 52x51 different combinations to memorize, so pre-memorizing all the links will hopefully save time and enable me to get even faster :) The obvious disadvantage of my system is that it works terribly for multi-deck events. I'm planning to add 352 images to my 1000 image # system and create a 2-block card system like Alex and Johannes.

9 July, 2016 - 15:47

Everett I think I got the idea. I exactly know what to do now thank you so much.

16 July, 2016 - 14:56

I'm using Shadow system... but not comfortable with it yet... it's been a while I was practice with my old system (52 images/26loci) so I've got a new PB for 44 seconds... and it's seems that it's getting faster... my Idea is to compete this year in SMC 2016 /30/7 with my old system.. coz the SS is not ready yet...
but I will train very hard after it to compete the next year in arabian memory championship... and win some records... for me now I'm 17 years old so this year I can win the crown of younger competitors... and next win adults... it's seems pretty but takes alot of work... so haven't nothing to loose :)

26 August, 2016 - 09:29

Using PAO I just got under my 100 second mark :D 98.6 seconds, with two cards that proved a bit tough to recall, but I did get them right! Though clearly still room for improvement. :)

30 August, 2016 - 15:37

Hey, I noticed the time you have on the wiki is outdated (4:22). How long did it take you to drop down to under 100 seconds?
Do people even keep track of the length of time they've been practicing for?

30 August, 2016 - 15:38

3 minutes 42 seconds for now

31 August, 2016 - 09:01

Wow, Mayarra! You're doing great. I'm almost there, but I'm still missing a few. I've done 46 cards correct in 1:39.

31 August, 2016 - 09:45

@Badr4Sudan: Amazing! You might be the best competitor ever from Africa.

1 September, 2016 - 10:48

Quote:

Hey, I noticed the time you have on the wiki is outdated (4:22). How long did it take you to drop down to under 100 seconds?
Do people even keep track of the length of time they've been practicing for?

Yea, I haven't updated it for a while indeed haha

I believe it took about half a year to go from 4 minutes to 100 seconds :) might be a bit more or less

EDIT: I just checked, it took me about 8 months :P

1 September, 2016 - 13:36

Oh wow, I guess I have to go through all that
Nice work anyway

1 September, 2016 - 16:10

3:03:32

When I finally get below 2 minutes, what's the point if I end up wanting to move onto a 3-digit system and need to get used to new images?

2 September, 2016 - 06:28

@rmartson: What are your goals? You ask what's the point, but what do you want to accomplish? In other words, why are you currently working on lowering your times in cards? Are you interested in competing?

Also, you can work on a 3-digit system for numbers while retaining your 1-card system for cards. That's what I'm currently doing, as I finished establishing my 3-digit assignments, and am in the process of committing those to memory. In the meantime, when I practice numbers I still use my 2-digit system, and when I practice speed cards I use my 1-card system. Even after I start using the 3-digit system for numbers, I'll probably wait a while until working on a 2-card system.

2 September, 2016 - 15:07

Quote:

Oh wow, I guess I have to go through all that
Nice work anyway

I didn't fully focus on drilling the cards though, I am sure you can do it in half the time if you'd focus on improving times :)

5 September, 2016 - 09:48

2:26:69

@tracym I think I got into this stuff because I wanted to memorise material for school/college, but now I'm just trying to achieve the criteria for a "grand master of memory", one of which is to memorise a deck of cards in under 2min
I don't really want the title, but those criteria are probably the only official milestones I've got for now

25 September, 2016 - 09:19

Long time lurker here. I am still a bit of newb at speedcards and I am trying to improve my accuracy. I am using a Dominic PA system and putting two cards at each locus. I setup a memory palace in my apartment with 26 loci.

I try to make the person action combo as ludicrous as possible and I usually struggle to remember at least two loci in almost every time during recall. Do you have any tips on how to make a person action combo more memorable? Thank you!

18 November, 2016 - 02:51

Hi everyone

2.minutes 06 (pao/journey) using my speed pao (french system to build a pao really fast)

Keep training to break the 2 mn

126 secondes

19 November, 2016 - 23:14

Today I did 1,02min(no mistake)using 2 digit system

1 December, 2016 - 14:07

Pls can some one explain the simon system for card

9 December, 2016 - 05:30

1:54
This is an improvement of just one second over the past 5 months!
The main reasons for this slow progress is that I've changed system. So now I can boast about having achieved under 2 minutes with two different and unique systems! The method I used here is the Less L. Method, but with some minor changes to it. I look forward to updating my Less L. thread soon.
This was not achieved with a regulation under 5 minutes recall. It took me 14 minutes to recall the deck.
But my decision not to be concerned with recall times seems a good one; I recently did a perfect 2:11 deck and finished the whole exercice in under 10 minutes without forcing.
Update:
Dec.9/2016
New pb: 1:49
6 days to improve by 5 seconds, this is scary fast improvement by my standard. I feel as if my memory isn't really improving but my ability to guess correctly the right card has greatly improved. I wonder if this is a sign of things to come.
Only a 10 second improvement is now needed to reach the 2 digit club!

11 December, 2016 - 10:14

11 December 2016

7:36 with no mistakes.

This is the first time I've made it all the way through with no errors. That said, it took me a long time to recall them. (I didn't time myself, but it was probably about ten minutes.)

I had a few gaps as I went through assembling a second pack (in the past, I've just called out the cards and then turned them over to see if I was correct). When I got to the end, I had about 9 cards left over. However, going through a second time, I immediately knew where they needed to be.

Far from perfect, I know, but it was a great feeling to manage it. It's the first time I've tried to do it with people, not images. (I only began creating my people list within the last 7 days, so, again, I'm happy enough with my progress.) The cards I struggled with had less vivid images (static/uninteresting action), so that's something for me to work on.

17 December, 2016 - 09:54

So frustrating! I thought I'd gone under 7 minutes (6:59), but made three mistakes - all in the first four cards. (Ie 2, 3 and 4 were the correct cards but in the wrong order.)

A salutary lesson, though - because I've messed up early on on previous occasions. My first few locations seem to affect the action in my images - I think they're all too samey. Anyhow - I'll try again soon. Still a long way to go, but it remains fun trying!

23 December, 2016 - 02:17

Thought I'd done really well yesterday - memorising a pack in 5:12. I hadn't meant to go that fast - and it's a shame I didn't take extra time to go through the pack one last time because, having got the first 29 correct, I then got two the wrong way round!

Ah, well - back to the drawing board ...

23 December, 2016 - 03:22

For me: 1:29 at the moment, small steps.

My daughter has managed 15:38 with a person-system we made for her, a very inpressive score already ^^ she was really proud

23 December, 2016 - 04:28

Wow! Well done, Mayarra. And your daughter, too.

1 January, 2017 - 12:37

I am quite stuck at 1:30+ times atm, the 1:29 seemed to have been a stroke of luck,but I keep working on it.

Meanwhile, my daughter has managed 15:12, she is making progress, prepare to get your asses kicked by a kid one day!

I have also updated the times page on the wiki ^^

3 January, 2017 - 21:39

What is the current record for speed cards? It looks like Alex got 16.96 seconds for cards (non-digital?) at the European Open.

24 May, 2017 - 11:09

For various reasons, my memory training program has collapsed since the turn of the year and I've only recently started up again. I think it will be a while before I better any of the times I'd managed in Memory League training up to December 2016, but hopefully I'll get there.

On the cards' front, I'm taking it easy and trying to get my time down for memorising 26 cards. Two days ago, I managed 3 minutes 11 seconds, and today I've managed 2:39 without any mistakes. Still very slow, I know - but it's a start!

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: