Card deck memorisation - post your times here!

1233 posts / 0 new
Last post
23 August, 2011 - 09:16

It's not much, but I beat my best with 38.02s this morning.

23 August, 2011 - 09:53

Hi Richie

I have been training with cards for 2 years and I started with my new cards system about 10 months ago. Now I translate the cards into images without using numbers but at the beginning I used to switch the cards to digits first.
If i use your example: ace of spades is 01
king of clubs is 42
nine of hearts is 19
Then I use my 3 digits system: 014 219 become cintre(hanger) and eintopf(stew).

There is nothing really brillant: each card is 2 digits. The recall was difficult at the beginning (and is still very hard with the recall sheets for 30min and 1 hour cards), but I am very happy with my system since I didn't have to learn extra images. Moreover I can use it for marathons as well because of the amount of images.

23 August, 2011 - 11:29

Nelson,

Well done. I think when your time is sub 1 minute (like it is for you, Boris, and Benoît) then those fractions of a second are really important. Keep at it ;)

Benoît,

Thanks for the further information.

So, assuming that the numbering runs from 01 to 52, you could have something like 52 45 51 to give 3-digit numbers of 524 and 551. That's a lot of images that you have memorised! (Not quite a Ben system but still pretty impressive). 8)

23 August, 2011 - 19:16

56 seconds flat today! So happy I broke through the 1 minute mark, thanks to Nelson and Boris for their tips!

24 August, 2011 - 01:00

Congratulations LBos11. Very impressive. 8)

24 August, 2011 - 19:40

Hello, was abit hesitant to post my PB because of the recall time. I could get alot quicker if the recall time was enormous but never the less my time is 3m 21 seconds, I didn't time the recall on that attempt but it was below 6 mins from a guess.

25 August, 2011 - 00:56

otengam wrote:

Hello, was abit hesitant to post my PB because of the recall time. I could get alot quicker if the recall time was enormous but never the less my time is 3m 21 seconds, I didn't time the recall on that attempt but it was below 6 mins from a guess.

Thanks for sharing. Time added. Any tips or 'lightbulb' moments you'd care to share or has it all been pretty straightforward?

25 August, 2011 - 01:29

Actually someone gave a great tip on here in regards to looking over the pictures before attempting a real shot of putting them to loci. So I would just ruffle through the cards picturing each one. At the start If I couldn't picture a card immediately or within 1.5 seconds ish I would keep focusing on it but now I make my hands move at a steady rate of about 1 second then move onto the next card whether or not I have pictured it. I did this for a few days, sometimes I would go even faster but I would miss out on 25% of the cards. I was at a steady 5m then did this for like 2 days without actually testing myself then had a shot and hit the 3m 21 second mark.

Not sure if that makes much sense but that has been my main training for improving my time.

25 August, 2011 - 08:32

Hey all, since this is a thread for recalling via rearranging a new deck, i might as well follow suit. Today I got a time of 2m42s :D

25 August, 2011 - 08:44

sleightly wrote:

Hey all, since this is a thread for recalling via rearranging a new deck, i might as well follow suit. Today I got a time of 2m42s :D

Excellent. Well done buddy. 8)

25 August, 2011 - 08:57

Thanks Richie.. I still haven't reached the point where I look at any card and KNOW it straight away, oh well lol, I know just gotta do it and eventually it'll happen.

3 September, 2011 - 08:58

Managed 2m10s. Have no idea how that happened lol.

3 September, 2011 - 10:28

sleightly wrote:

Managed 2m10s. Have no idea how that happened lol.

Hey, good going. :beer:

24 September, 2011 - 13:56

I tried it a few times today at work on my free time. With a bicycle deck, I got 22.86 seconds without error and 19.41 seconds with 3 errors. Using a different fonted deck (I don't know what kind it is, all I know is it had Minnesota pictures on the back) I managed to get 1 minute 23 seconds without error using the PAO method.

25 September, 2011 - 02:22

mentalglitch wrote:

I tried it a few times today at work on my free time. With a bicycle deck, I got 22.86 seconds without error and 19.41 seconds with 3 errors. Using a different fonted deck (I don't know what kind it is, all I know is it had Minnesota pictures on the back) I managed to get 1 minute 23 seconds without error using the PAO method.

Thanks for poisting your time - I've added it to the table in the first post.

Couple of questions, if I may?
1. What's a 'bicycle deck'?
2. What method do you use for memorising the deck? (I know you mentioned PAO for the different fonted deck - do you use PAO for both?)

25 September, 2011 - 04:22
SR
SR's picture

Hi all,

very nice site. Thanks for the notification, Boris!

My best time in training (with a stop watch I stopped myself after putting down the cards, not with a speed stacks timer) is 18.97 s. My best saved time is 19.48 s on memocamp.de. Best competition time is 21.19 s. I think sub 18 is definitely possible, but with Paul getting into the fray we might soon be pushed to aim for new limits which would be great.

Best wishes

Simon

25 September, 2011 - 09:10

1. Bicycle playing cards made by the United States Playing Card Co. They have these backs http://www.mindracer.com/bicycle5.jpg and the fronts are very similar to Bee. Many bee cards have the exact same font as bicycle, but not all of them, and other bicycle types of decks (limited edition series or different colored backs than the red or blue) have different fonts on the cards or sometimes are slightly bigger or smaller for the font.

2. The only way I can describe my method is kind of raw memorization, but the shapes and colors of the fonts and pip shapes and fonts convert into numbers in my mind automatically and I'm able many times to remember a lot of these numbers in my head for a long time, almost like a photographic mental image. I by no means have a photographic image for things outside my mind, but I do have times where I will remember everything in detail including placement using purely raw memory and remember it for years. These numbers in my head only started making sense after I looked at a few cards at a time and started to realize that they were always consistent in large groups as well as in small groups. The only way I can describe it in terms of more common Synesthesia is most Synesthetes see individual numbers and letters as specific colors, but most see an entire word as one color, usually based on the first letter or first vowel. Some (even fewer) see the entire word as each and every individual color for each and every letter. That's kind of how my Synesthesia works for the numbers I see, but it's also very much 3 dimensional for the space I see it in and the numbers have very little depth, almost 2 dimensional. Numbers fill up in my head whenever I see or hear something. Even when I have ear plugs in, there is still the humming sound of the small bit of air that is between your ears and the ear plugs and you hear your heartbeat, which at times can get just as distracting as hearing everything else around you.

for anyone who challenges my time, I am planning on making a video soon (just need a better camera and I'm going to use a brand new deck of cards out of the sealed box and everything and have other people [like cops or trusted people in town] shuffle the deck) and I can memorize it with my fast method with bicycle playing cards. I kind of wish I didn't post the first video. Now a lot of people want me to memorize a lot of stuff, which I can do, but it's really boring a lot of times to me. I would never want to do that for a living. It's much more fun for me to work at the drama theater and do techie stuff haha.

27 September, 2011 - 01:58

Hi Simon, thanks for posting your time. Would you mind elaborating on the technique that you use?

Paul, thanks for the clarification. I suspect that people are encouraging you to memorise stuff because they are, simply, amazed at the incredible ability that you have. However, if it's no fun (or worse, it's actually unpleasant) then don't do it - life is too short, enjoy yourself :)

27 September, 2011 - 03:09
SR
SR's picture

Two cards - one image. Not the Ben-System. You may call it the Reinhard-System or the Simon-System ;) :

Two syllables of the structure consonant-vowel instead of consonant-vowel-consonant.

27 September, 2011 - 03:40

Simon Reinhard wrote:

Two cards - one image. Not the Ben-System. You may call it the Reinhard-System or the Simon-System ;) :

Two syllables of the structure consonant-vowel instead of consonant-vowel-consonant.

Thanks Simon. OK, it shall henceforth be known as the Simon System (I like the alliteration of that name) ;)

Do you still use the journey approach for rembering the sequence of the cards? Would you be prepared to expand a little further on the description of the Simon System, perhaps giving an example of how you would memorise the following in sequence : Ace Spades, 9 Hearts, 7 Clubs, and 3 Diamonds? Thanks.

28 September, 2011 - 06:26

Just did 37.90 perfect, and then followed that up with 36.65 perfect! nice!

28 September, 2011 - 13:12

climbformemory wrote:

Just did 37.90 perfect, and then followed that up with 36.65 perfect! nice!

Good job, Nelson. 8)

2 October, 2011 - 08:18

A new personal best this morning! 33.80s!!

2 October, 2011 - 10:13

climbformemory wrote:

Congrats. Rapidly closing in on Benoît ;)

2 October, 2011 - 12:22
SR
SR's picture

Well, actually he surpassed him ;).

3 October, 2011 - 07:23

Simon Reinhard wrote:

Well, actually he surpassed him ;).

Doh!

I'd love to be able to say that I was S) but the truth is I obviously wasn't paying attention. Glad that somebody was. Thanks Simon (and sorry Nelson ;) ).

3 October, 2011 - 14:12

climbformemory wrote:

USA! USA! USA! :-)

3 October, 2011 - 15:04

Haha thanks guys. I just need to do this in competition :)

5 October, 2011 - 14:13

My best time on training is 44,75 set on october 2. 2011. I use the Ben-system.

Ola Kåre Risa

6 October, 2011 - 01:08

Olarisa wrote:

My best time on training is 44,75 set on october 2. 2011. I use the Ben-system.

Ola Kåre Risa

Hi. Thanks for posting your time.

At this rate I'm going to need to make a bigger table so that I don't fall off the bottom! ;)

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: