Best Computer Games for Making Memory Palaces

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 24 November, 2012 - 15:03

Best Computer Games for Making Memory Palaces

Does anyone have any favorite games for creating memory palaces?

There is a list in the Artificial Memory Palaces wiki page, but it doesn't rank them in order of favorites.

Here is the list so far:

• http://www.everquest2.com/free_to_play/ -- EQ2 Extended" (EQ2X)
  • http://www.minecraft.net/ -- Minecraft
  • Pokémon gameboy games
  • Normandy SR2 from Mass Effect 2 or 3 (the ship is remodeled in ME3).
  • Super Mario 64
  • Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2
  • Fable 2 and Fable 3
  • Fallout 3
  • Half Life 2
  • Nearly any MMORPG or RPG game works well
  • The Elder Scrolls games (Oblivion, Skyrim, Morrowind)
  • Halo series
  • Call of Duty Multiplayer
  • Shadowrun
  • Gears of War
  • Mirror's Edge

Has anyone created memory palaces from computer games? Which ones do you like?

24 November, 2012 - 18:44

I'm using Half-life 1 (counter-strike), it works better for me than the real journey ^.^

23 December, 2012 - 03:46

The GTA games have large expansive maps too. And due to the mission structure pretty much every part of the map has an event attached to it.

I know the GTA Vice City map better than I do the one for my own hometown of 20 years!

10 January, 2013 - 16:15

Battlefield 3 works amazingly for me, the particular objective points with lots of surrounding buildings form perfectly when you stick a dancing clown riding a tiger while punching a tuna in the middle of an Afghan war ;) plus there are about 14 maps you can remember them in reverse too! Btw, if you don't play this game, you should, everybody should! H) 8) :glasses:

10 January, 2013 - 16:17

Yeah the GTA maps in Liberty City helped me remember my A2 Biology syllabus... Damn video games are good for this!;D

10 January, 2013 - 22:39
Yan
Yan's picture

I use counterstrike 1.6! The best maps ever created!

12 January, 2013 - 16:35

Dark Souls for PC or PS3 (maybe others?)

- each area is really unique and feature-filled
- areas are closely-packed and well-connected

The only downside is, it's a really hard game!

13 January, 2013 - 02:07

Not a game but there is a fantastic new app for the ipad called recce, which is an amazing movable, searchable, detailed 3D representation of a large part of London - it even extends out to Arsenal's football stadium up in the North East.

Complete with moving traffic, overground trains and even a rotating London Eye!

Gavino

13 January, 2013 - 05:38

Another non-game that is useful for creating memory palaces is Google Sketchup, a very easy to use 3D program available for free.

I wrote about it in this blog post of mine. I've even put together a YouTube playlist teaching the basics of building a memory palace in Google Sketchup.

15 January, 2013 - 01:03

You should Definetly try World of Warcraft, the loci is unlimited :)

16 January, 2013 - 07:19

Dishonored!

I took pictures of the locations even before I was interested in using them for loci just because they are so striking.

16 January, 2013 - 07:27

Assassin's Creed Series. I spend so much time in each maze Ezio has to pass that I end up memorizing it.

9 February, 2013 - 14:49

Thanks for the replies! :)

I'm going to link this thread with the other related discussion here:
Virtual Palaces with the Click of a Button

25 December, 2013 - 11:44

King's Quest 6
King's Quest 7
Quest for Glory 4
and just about any Action Adventure game.

27 December, 2014 - 05:05

I like the games from Cyan, like Myst and Riven.

11 January, 2015 - 21:48

I haven't tried it myself (yet) but The Sims seem s like it would be perfect.

3 February, 2015 - 09:04

Zelda Ocarina of Time is pretty good since not only do you get the whole map, but you get it twice since the map, people and your character change when you travel back and forth through time

18 February, 2015 - 14:55

For me, the first choice would be Skyrim. I've spent so much time in Whiterun that I really remember the house layouts and city plan. Then perhaps some shooter games, I can't really remember them that well. Also, I find minecraft to be horribly confusing, I'm sure it's just my problem, but I can't seem to remember the nature very well and when I start building a palace, I find that halfway through I know what it'll look like and just give up, because I know the palace as well as possible.

Assassin's Creed is here, I also remember the Mark of Kri (an old PS2 game) very well.

25 March, 2015 - 03:09

I second the Dark Souls idea! I bought DaS2 last week, and it's damn sweet! The open world gives you a shitload of loci and the difficulty make sure that you visit EVERY SQUARE INCH of the map at least three times.

The enemies can become loci as well, and each area is mapped (or at least I presume there are layouts). So Dark Souls makes a great palace (and most areas are literally palaces). I'm already looking forward to learning stuff with DaS II. 10 hours in and a long way to go.

5 April, 2015 - 10:16

Anyone tried Runescape? :P
2007 would be ideal, since it's static...

But then you view things in third person pov, rather than first person, so I'm wondering if that would work?

12 April, 2015 - 19:14

Actually you can imagine stuff easier if you use third person.
It is a byproduct of being gamers.

14 April, 2015 - 00:43

Left 4 dead 2 is very good, big maps, detailed, added horror emotion effect, 25+ journeys

14 April, 2015 - 06:51

The game 'Stanley Parable' seems like a good one for this. It's not too large, but has many options. It's very 'realistic', is very similar to the real world in the design, at least for me. Just watching a couple videos of it and I can imagine tons of places from it. Games that have that same look and feel are good for memory palaces.

Note: See my related post, Video Game Memory Palaces.

Bateman

11 August, 2015 - 03:11

If you have ever played Monkey Island (or if, like me, you have finished the first three episodes half a dozen times), I think they are the perfect game to make a memory journey out of.

Actually, when I was a boy and I got bored during long journeys in the car, I used to play the game in my head. That is, I used to start from the beginning, and recall every interactions in the game until the end. I never tried to "study" it by rote, mind you, but it naturally stuck in my mind, because the images are really vivid, and the interactions are logical and absurd, which makes them easy to remember.

There are probably more than a thousand interactions in the first three games, and as I pointed out, I find that they are very easy to build a memory palace out of because :
- they logically follow one another
- they are colorful and funny
- the pictures are beautiful and full of potential loci

11 August, 2015 - 08:47

I will second the Half-Life, Call of Duty, and Elder Scrolls games as useful for Memory palaces or journeys. Also, I've heard that a couple of the Harry Potter games have great recreations of Hogwarts Castle, especially the Goblet of Fire and the Order of the Phoenix.

11 August, 2015 - 12:22

Outlast! the game its just a huge madhouse with different floors with lots of things where you can use for the palace of memory. And also the game is memorable, specially when the game end.

17 August, 2015 - 10:20

I'd suppose Transistor. It's a very beautiful game, with a system of levels, which would make it easy to remember and use.

Another one would be (this isn't specifically pc game) Monument valley. All of the above applies to this game aswell.

19 August, 2015 - 15:09

Here are some comparison maps of the sizes of various popular video games. This might help some folks who are trying to decide on using games for journeys or palaces.

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/aperturesilence/blog/a-relative-size-co...

19 August, 2015 - 21:07

there are several aspects of maps which are important in order to make good palaces IMHO:
1. we need to be able to move around in the map without getting attacked by enemies. Thus, ideally there would be a private match mode or theater mode.
2. there needs to be rooms we can go inside rather than roaming outdoors
3. the rooms need to be distinctive and have a theme, ie. dining hall, library, stadium, ship...

I have made memory palaces with Black Ops 2 Zombies, and it worked very well. I can tell you the Call of Duty Series (multiplayer private match mode) meet all of the above criteria. I doubt I'll ever run out of palaces just using the Call of Duty series. GTA5 is good too. Still though I'd like to find more cool palaces. anybody ever tried Harry Potter? the theme seems interesting and novel to me.

20 August, 2015 - 08:49

Simcity for android or Pc,megapolis for android.we can build our own city for infinite loci.Easy to remember and fun to play

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: