Benefits of a PAO system with 1000 pegs?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 8 March, 2015 - 09:55

Benefits of a PAO system with 1000 pegs?

The 00-99 system has been really beneficial. In everyday life, can you think of what the significant (if there are any) benefits of a 1000 peg system is?

9 March, 2015 - 14:57

Absolutely, it'd need more maintaince, and require more time to build in the first place. One could make spontanious associations, like if 532 is S-E-T, one could use think of some person's name that begins with 'Set'. But many numbers are more tricky to make spontanious associations for.

I've thought about making such a system, but so far I only use the 00-99 system for memorizing historical dates, numbers that I'd otherwise store in my short term memory (like phone numbers), and the occational memorization of Pi, e and phi (not of practical use, of course, only for practise).

9 March, 2015 - 15:00

It is very difficult to come up with 1000 actions. 100 actions is doable.

22 April, 2015 - 10:05

You could add another category to your PAO system if your characters are distinctive enough, I use what I like to call PCAO (Person, Clothes, Action, Object). For example to memorize the number 16152118 I just imagine Arnold Schwarzenegger (AS=16) dressed as Albert Einstein (15=AE=Albert Einstein) throwing a Batarang (21=BA=BAtman) that looks like a Swastika (18=AH=Adolf Hitler) and I put only one image in the first stage of my journey. Also you could encode images to numbers 1-9, for example if you have only to memorize the number 986 you use the image for the 98 in your PAO system and the image for the 6, connect the images and put them in a stage of your journey.

28 May, 2016 - 18:15

Anything that requires the memorization of years would be beneficial for 1000 numbers. For instance, if you work with history or scientific discoveries. That's one of the things I'm trying to work on. You can chunk it in 19-85 but it leaves me feeling awkward and wishing I had a way to cover 1000s.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: