Anyone into Speedcubing?

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 20 August, 2011 - 06:17

Anyone into Speedcubing?

Hey all, this is a bit off topic so I thought it'll be better here. Is anyone into speedcubing at all? I thought it'll be nice to talk about methods of learning notations and stuff.

Currently I'm close to sub 1min (sometimes under, but not consistently). I don't use any memory techniques to learn notations/moves, however I guess in the future it might be necessary in order to reduce my times. I intuitively work out F2L, and use 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL.

What about you guys :D?

22 August, 2011 - 14:24

Yep. Used to cube. Did a 3x3 in ~40s I think.

Got everything from a 2x2 up to a 7x7. Used to have a Square-1 till I broke it.

It's not really worth memorising the algorithms. It's more muscle memory if you're going for speed. Just drill them in.

1st post! Looking into developing my memory for uni.

23 August, 2011 - 18:02

yeh its really just muscle memory. slowly that time will go down. i used to do it around 45 sec average and even now when i havent done it in a year i can still do it in a minute for sure, just because i've done it so much. if you want to get down sub-30 seconds on a constant basis, you'll have to start memorizing algorithms, which is probably a waste of time haha. the cube is fun but at a certain point...you know the rest hahaha

10 December, 2011 - 22:39

I just found a Rubik's Cube last night, and looked it up online. Amazing:

Another one:

12 December, 2011 - 22:52

Hi,
I can not speed cube as of now. I can solve the cube in 2:15(that's my best so far). I would like to start learning how to speed cube. I noticed someone mentioned muscle memory here. How can I improve this skill? Can you guys point me out to any resources that I can use to learn to speed cube. I have gradually improved my timing from a little over 5 min to 2:15. I find that I have reached the OK plateau now. I would like to go further. PLease jot down what your training methods are? What aspects of the solving do you measure? What algorithms do you use? And what resources you use?

2 February, 2012 - 03:19

I've been solving the rubik's cube for about 4 years now. I can solve it in about 13 seconds and I use the Fridrich method (cross,F2L,OLL,PLL). I can solve it blindfolded in about 1:30. However I haven't practiced very much lately.

5 February, 2012 - 21:30

I also speedcube. I average about 15 seconds with Fridrich and 17 with Roux, and can do 3BLD in ~2:00 using OP.

One of you mentioned that speedcubing can get boring. Yes, that's true, but there is a large array of what you can do with it. Blindfold is probably the most enjoyable for me, as it lets you practice both your dexterity and your memorization skill.

And I, like Red314, haven't practiced much lately :P.

7 April, 2012 - 19:27

Hi there, guys. We´re finally here in our own thread =P
I use petrus as main method, with a pb of 15.04 and now i'm learning roux, although i'm barely sub30.
I started practising BLD a few months ago, and i got here looking for answers, hehe. I'm developing my letter pairs system for big cubes bld and multibld. Has any of you developed something like that already? has anyone thought that memorizing sequences of letters could be a lot more challenging than a sequence of binaries or decimals, or even decks of cards?

Check these two beasts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM9L8um2g3o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGlFO1NpXiY

8 April, 2012 - 00:57

Great videos! I've just created a wiki page about blindfolded speedcubing where different mnemonic techniques can be described.

If anyone wants an account to edit the wiki, send me a message and I'll create one for you. I had to turn off the wiki registrations because of spammers...

8 April, 2012 - 01:03

UPDATE: I turned wiki registrations back on.

8 April, 2012 - 19:51

Mariano.aquino wrote:

Hi there, guys. We´re finally here in our own thread =P
I'm developing my letter pairs system for big cubes bld and multibld. Has any of you developed something like that already? has anyone thought that memorizing sequences of letters could be a lot more challenging than a sequence of binaries or decimals, or even decks of cards?

For edge memo I use letter pairs and images at locations. Each sticker (22 total excluding my buffer piece) has a letter associated with it, so each location to shoot to is half the image.

i.e., If I have to shoot to the stickers AT BR PL QD, I'd just create images associated with those letter pairs and place them in locations. On average, you'll need 11 locations, so 5 and a half images total.

For corners, I use an audio loop method. Each corner sticker also has a letter associated with it, so if I had to memorize... AT BR PL QD, I would say "at bar pill quid" as a loop in my head, and then solve corners first as to not forget it.

A lot of fast people use something similar to this system, but a few use something different. Like, I know for instance that Aron Puddy-Mathew (who averages about 30s, maybe sub-30s) uses a sentence-location method. He uses a letter pairs system similar to the above, but instead of converting the letter pairs into images, he just places the actual sentence he creates into the room as words. He only has to remember it for 20 seconds or so, so it seems to work well for him, but I haven't seen many other people who it works well for.

7 September, 2012 - 17:21

This is old, but yes!
averages:
2x2 - 8s
3x3 - 26s
4x4 - 1:20
5x5 - 3:00
6x6 - 5:00
7x7 - 9:30
pyraminx - 6.5s
square1 - 1:15
megaminx - 5:45
3x3 OH - 50s
3x3 blind - 3-4m
4x4 blind - 30m

7 September, 2012 - 17:22

This is old, but yes!
averages:
2x2 - 8s
3x3 - 26s
4x4 - 1:20
5x5 - 3:00
6x6 - 5:00
7x7 - 9:30
pyraminx - 6.5s
square1 - 1:15
megaminx - 5:45
3x3 OH - 50s
3x3 blind - 3-4m
4x4 blind - 30m

18 November, 2012 - 05:27

Yes, I am into speedcubing and my best time is 17.24 seconds and I average around 24 seconds now. Recently started 'Blindfold solves' and it's a long way to master it and then do multiple blindfold solves.

Thanks,
Om

14 January, 2013 - 14:20

Hi, I'm into speedcubung although I don't think I'll ever be able to speedcube blindfolded! I'm not brilliant yet, I tend to average around 90 sec although I haven't timed myself recently so could have gotten quicker. I'm still using an intermediate method but at some time I intend on learning the full Friedrck method.

I seem to have a different approach to most for memorising the algorythms, each type of movement of the cube had a particular sound in my head so I turned the algorythms into musical rhythms until eventually they went into muscle memory. A different approach for people to try if you struggle with more conventional methods.

1 March, 2015 - 23:22

Yes, and I'm here because blindfold cubing is my main 'thing' in cubing, and I seek to improve my memory in BLD.

2 March, 2015 - 16:17

I haven't tried BLD in a long time. It may seem odd that I don't enjoy blindsolving while I do enjoy other memory-related things. My best blindsolve was around 3 minutes, and my best speedsolve was 9.03s. I will definitely try it once I practice the general memory categories some more. Are there any goals that you have in mind?

15 May, 2015 - 16:20

This looks interesting but first I need to learn to solve a normal 3x3 cube, any advice on where to start guys? What is the best method for solving a Rubiks cube?

15 May, 2015 - 20:12

15 October, 2015 - 11:32

Hey guys

I'm a 16 second CFOP solver, and I'm trying to cut my BLD memo times... I start by memorizing edges with about 2-3 Loci, then I memo corners with sound, then I execute corners, then edges. Any tips?

16 October, 2015 - 08:18

Does anyone know of the youngest and oldest person to solve the Rubix puzzle? Newbie to this forum.

Cheers from Happiness

9 December, 2015 - 15:11

Hey guys!

I'm a pretty active speedcuber, I compete in pretty much as many events as I can in as many competitons as I can. Here are my averages (I'm just learning blind so don't judge lol)

2x2 = 3.87 (Official)
3x3 = 16 ish
4x4 = 1:15 ish
5x5 = I don't 5x5 very frequently
Pyraminx = 8 ish
Skewb = 8 ish
Megaminx = 4:00 ish
BLD = 7:30 ish
OH = 30 ish

Anybody else?

9 December, 2015 - 15:48

Bloody excellent times, mate! Your 4x4 is especially good!

I can't even get under 1 minute for 3x3!

9 December, 2015 - 17:55

Hey Juls Awad. Great times indeed, especially the 4x4. Keep going.

Now my story on cube learning and solving, from an outsider's perspective and total amateur view. I firstly touched a Rubik's cube at the age of 23 (during 2007). No one among my friends even knew or could solve that 3x3 cube. That game was neither ever sold big in my country nor it was ever very popular. But anyway, after watching some YT tutorials I decided to buy one of this 3x3 toy and solve it from a random position, in 6 minutes. Then 3 minutes. Then during 2008, I did about 94 seconds (1'34") and then decided to stop further any cubing. I mean, my goal was reached. I could solve that cube puzzle, which is already very hard enough and unsolvable for the majority of adults. I don't think that more than a few tens of millions of people have ever solved that 3x3 puzzle since 80's. So, I am glad I belong to that 'already solved' category. I also brought a Rubik's cube during the MCWC-2010 competition to have a break from numbers and think in colors and spatial patterns. I still know the 3x3 cube solving algorithms, even if I do not practice cubes now. And I am not really into speedcubing I guess, because there is no competition among any of my friends, and it is extremely hard to find speed-cubing competitions in my city. Therefore, I am not much into the Rubik's cube game lately. But it's nice toy to practice for spatial skills , especially for younger generations. And the competitions and contests always help as a motivation for self-improvement for youngsters (and socialization). I am sure that cube solving can improve one's cognitive transferable skills (in other life areas). But sometimes it is disheartening when I see that the 3x3 Cube WR is about only 5 seconds now. Then, you realise the Record times are alredy very low and hard to improve further by anyone who does not have cube competitions as a life priority.

By the way, since you mentioned 'Blindfold', during Memoriad 2012 competition (the day before the competition) there was also a lecture-presentation inside the Antalya University for all Memoriad competitors. During that presentation among other shows, there was an on-stage 3x3 Blindfold Cube solving by my friend Khatna, famous mnemonist from Mongolia. (and president of the Mongolian Memory academy)

So, yes some people, among mnemonists, do enjoy solving Rubik's cubes/blindfold solving. But not all of them. And the inverse applies. Not all cubers advance in mnemonics or calculation or math. At least, even as different hobbies, they have both common of both being Mind Sports. Because both Memory and Rubiks' are being featured in the same chapter of the Guinness World Records (at least in the Guinness WR 2014 book edition). That is some common ground to share.

Good luck with your future cube records !

Nodas

10 December, 2015 - 03:50

I only do 3x3, and I never even got under 2 minutes. Not even sure how to though, I use the techniques I found in a guide, but it is aimed on solving it, not solving it quickly. I am easily doing 100-150 moves. First solve white cross, all white plus bottom layer, then middle layer, then yellow cross and all yellow squares, and last the top layer. I'd have to do each in 5 seconds or less to het under a minute, which seems undoable.

Anyone got any pointers for speed cubing and how to find a good method to get under a minute?

18 December, 2015 - 07:47

Current personal best with a 3x3 is now 1:38,59, though mostly I am around 2 minutes now.

EDIT: White it was mainly luck, with a lot of pieces ending up in their place without me aiming to get them there, I got 1:13,67 just now

26 December, 2015 - 01:20

Hi Maya,

I bought a cube for my son to play with. He is 3.5 years old, so I have some time to catch up on my routines ;)

> First solve white cross, all white plus bottom layer, then middle layer, then yellow cross and all yellow squares, and last the top layer

Google 'intuitive f2l'.
This is your next step in speeding up the process.
F2L (first two layers) solves the bottom layer and the middle layer together.
So after finishing the white cross, do the F2L and after that you can go straight to yellow cross.

That there are 42 configurations to learn in F2L, so in the beginning learning this will slow you down a bit. But once you do this, your speed will improve a lot.

30 December, 2015 - 23:51

I counted how fast I do the first two layers. Starting with the white cross and then intuitively working out the rest via F2L I need between 26 and 41 turns to do the two layers.

The 26 was sheer luck. I got an egde and a corner nicely paired up twice in that solve.

Usually I need 35, 36 turns before I can work on the top layer. 28 when I have the luck of finding a pair that is already paired up.

I don't use algorithms for F2L (that's why it is called intuitive ;) ). I try to use as many open slots as possible.

If any of you can do this with way less turns I would love to hear how you do this!

31 December, 2015 - 00:00

My personal record currently is 1:08,52 though it was more luck than skill, usually I am around 1:30

Decided to look at my F2L too, usually I seem to be at around 60 seconds, mainly because I have to look and think too much. The last layer is 100% algorithms so that goes way faster.

31 December, 2015 - 02:07

Hi Maya!

Here are more tips. Maybe you do this already, but this works for me.
Solve the white cross with white on the bottom. This goes faster and you can work on looking ahead, because when you are done with the white cross you hold the cube already in the right position for moving not F2L.

In general you can solve the white cross with 5-9 moves.
Sometimes you see for example the white/blue edge and the white/green edge on opposite sites and you can either move the white center in between them or move them in tandem to the white center.

Learn the order of the colors. This will help you in placing the white bottom edges quickly. In other words, learn to solve the white bottom without the center pieces from the middle layer. Then, when you are done, just align the center pieces.

Hope that helps.

31 December, 2015 - 04:19

I indeed first do the cross, then the white corner pieces and lastly the middle layer edge pieces.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: