A Review of Moonwalking With Einstein

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 24 December, 2011 - 17:49

A Review of Moonwalking With Einstein

Another review of Moonwalking With Einstein, by Joshua Foer, from a bookstore in the San Francisco Bay Area:
http://keplers.blogspot.com/2011/12/love-list-12-megan-kurashige.html

I loved this book so hard that I campaigned enthusiastically to get everyone I know to read it as well, just so I could talk about it with them. My friends shook their heads at my crazy, shiny eyes, but after reading it themselves, they were generally converted. It’s one of those non-fiction books that manage to make you feel like being a human being is just the biggest stroke of luck you could possibly have. Joshua Foer explores the science and culture of memory by committing the journalistic stunt of training for and competing in the U. S. Memory Championship. He digs up all kinds of delicious, delightful tidbits about memory and presents them in a way that makes you feel like you’re walking through the most extraordinary museum in the world, looking at things that you’ve both never seen before and been familiar with your entire life.

24 March, 2012 - 13:59

Hi Josh, I just bought the book myself and am now on page 63. It is a great book so far. I also bought Dominic O'briens book , cant remember the title, lol.

24 March, 2012 - 23:07

Is that the You Can Have an Amazing Memory book? I read that on the flight to New York. It's great...

27 March, 2012 - 10:46

Yeah, thats the book. I'll read that one when I finished with Dr. Einstein et al. I'm just finishing up chapter 5 on Memory Palaces. Eddy ole boy sounds like an interesting character. I love all the neuroscience in the first 4 chapters or so.

26 April, 2012 - 06:13

I love the science, and Ed just seems like a fun dude to be around. It is what got me interested in mnemonic techniques.

26 April, 2012 - 06:33

Yeah, that was a great book. Ed Cooke sounds like a hoot and a half. I also just finished reading Dominic O'Briens latest book, also great in its own right. Now, all I have to do is use this stuff now. By immediate goal is to memorize/learn as much about neuroscience as possible. I have a whack of DVD courses from the Teaching Company on various aspects of neuroscience like neuropsychology, evolutionary biology, neuroanatomy etc etc. that I want to committ to memory.
I dont really have any aspirations as such to memory copious quantities of decks of cards or DNA strand sizes of binary digits, I just want to learn all there is to know about the brain and the mind.

28 January, 2013 - 11:30

I am about a 3rd of the way through this book and I really like it. He is an excellent story teller and it takes the boring "do this" and "then do this" out of learning a method. Although, I would have to say that you may want to get a boring "do this" and "then do this" kind of book so you get a really good grasp on the subject, HA! BUT, it is a fantastic read and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys memory enhancing type stories with some hidden memory tools.

23 August, 2014 - 15:09

After I had learned the techniques from other books, this one was amazing to learn something about some other things related to memory and techniques, like the competitive enviroment, the savants, and some neuroscience stuff. If you watch Joshua Foer videos on youtube you can get a good idea of the author style and what you will find in the book.

24 August, 2014 - 21:31

Great book for background info and for the "culture" of memory sports
Even though it doesn't show you the methods used, I could not put it down until I was done reading it!

9 October, 2015 - 20:13
sal
sal's picture

Great book! I could not put it down and also told everyone else about it. I also had the pleasure of meeting Joshua and he is one of the nicest individuals you can possibly meet.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: