10 room, 100 piece palace?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 2 November, 2016 - 12:23

10 room, 100 piece palace?

I want my favorite memory palace back. As it stands I was using it to store my numbers system and although I can use it for other things, this effectively kills my speed at memory cards. I want my memory back! There is also the problem that I use 2 people per location and that is also slowing down my recall speed.

I'm moving my numbers to a 100 loci memory place and want to do either 10 loci in 10 rooms or 20 loci in 5 rooms. Anyone have suggestions for possibly pre-built palaces? This is what I have, feel free to add. I made some things stereo typical to match with the general setting.

---Upstairs---

Boy's room
Girl's room
Parents room
Bathroom
Walk in closet

---Downstairs---

Living room
Office
Kitchen
Laundry room
Garage

I am in the process of filling this list out. Any suggestions on items?

2 November, 2016 - 14:52

It depends on what is in the room. You could upload a photo here if you would like suggestions.

Also, have you see the how to create a memory palace page? There is an example there.

One thing I sometimes do is create locations in square rooms like this, picturing myself standing in the doorway:

1. near left corner
  2. left wall
  3. far left corner
  4. far wall
  5. far right corner
  6. right wall
  7. near right corner
  8. doorway
  9. ceiling
  10. floor

Here is a quick sketch:

Roman room

3 November, 2016 - 11:53

I never understood using a palace to remember you numbers. DO you need to use a palace for your numbers? What number system do you have?

3 November, 2016 - 15:25

@Josh Cohen, how do you connect items to bland items like that? I have had terrible luck with this.

@Parkouristx, why are you asking a question you obviously know the answer to. I use people for 00-99, and for the one hundred digits I use objects(that's ten objects, though I rarely use zero-snowman).

4 November, 2016 - 19:19

Quote:

how do you connect items to bland items like that? I have had terrible luck with this.

That's just a general layout. I find something in each location where I can attach my images.

An example from one cafe that I use as a memory journey:

1. near left corner -- the front window of the cafe
  2. left wall -- there is a table here against the brick wall
  3. far left corner -- there is a glass side-door here, so my images can come it (or smash through) the door
  4. far wall -- there is another table here, and a painting on the wall
  5. far right corner -- this is the bathroom
  6. right wall -- this is the cashier's counter
  7. near right corner -- this is the bar
  8. doorway -- the front door
  9. ceiling -- the lights hanging from the ceiling
  10. floor -- the wooden floor
16 November, 2016 - 20:54

how many loci do you use in each nook and cranny of a room? If there are 3 real things iagainst the wall do you choose 3 or are you selective? And how many of your own images do you use at each of those real objects in your room?

16 November, 2016 - 23:53

Quote:

how many loci do you use in each nook and cranny of a room? If there are 3 real things iagainst the wall do you choose 3 or are you selective? And how many of your own images do you use at each of those real objects in your room?

With the method I mentioned above, there are only 10 locations per room. So I pick something obvious in that general area of the room.

You can pick as many or as few locations in an area as you want. I think it's better to dive in and then revise later than to think too much at the beginning.

If you want to know what works best, maybe create three memory palaces in three different rooms. In one room, use 10 locations. In another room try 20. In the third, try 30. Then memorize some things and see which one you prefer.

I tend to separate the locations by at least a few feet, but you could zoom in to create more locations. It might be a good exercise to find a common object and see how many locations you can put on it. For example: try to memorize a list of 10-20 items by using mini-locations on a coffee mug or a kitchen table (zoom in).

You might want to check out the memory palace and how to build a memory palace pages too.

If that doesn't answer your question, let me know. :)

16 November, 2016 - 23:55

Quote:

how do you connect items to bland items like that?

Here's an example of how I use a 10-location memory journey during a Memory League style images memorization round:

Imagine that these are the images you have to memorize:

image memorization

I'll put two images per location.

First Place

• First location: near left corner -- there is a glass window on the front of the cafe with a bar-like table against the window. The mnemonic images I place there tend to interact with the window glass.
  • First images: compass, summer squash

I would picture using the compass to scratch the glass. Then I would grate the squash in the new groves in the glass. I would probably imagine myself doing this to make gazpacho, using zucchini instead of cucumber.

Second Place

• Second location: left wall -- brick wall and table. I picture the images on the table or doing something with the wall.
  • Second images: hot air balloons, seats

I would imagine the hot air balloons rising against the wall, which rips the balloons causing them to crash. There are empty seats to the right side of the table, because the spectators went home after the balloons crashed.

Third Place

• Third location: far left wall -- there is a glass door here. Images tend to smash through the glass, or interact with the door. If there is more than one image, sometimes the door gets smashed by the first image and the second image is outside.
  • Third images: party balloons, almonds

I would picture the balloons stuck to the glass door, and then almonds fly through the glass window, popping the balloons.

They are short, ridiculous stories, that are enough to recall the pictures when seeing them. I find specific things in the locations to attach the images to.

28 December, 2016 - 05:05

so how many images do you attach to each location? and also in each location seems you have more than 1 loci. I have a similar situation for the nook and cranny method as if i use the corner i may have a desk and then i may have 5 things on the desk and a chair. So is it better to take the desk, or the desk and the chair or to zoom in and use all the little things on the desk?

30 December, 2016 - 15:57

Quote:

so how many images do you attach to each location?

I use two mnemonic images per location.

Quote:

if i use the corner i may have a desk and then i may have 5 things on the desk and a chair. So is it better to take the desk, or the desk and the chair or to zoom in and use all the little things on the desk?

I would either treat the desk as one location and attach my two images to an arbitrary spot on the desk, or I would take the five objects and consider them to be five different locations. I think that having more locations is better, so if you can fit the extra ones in there, I would do that.

6 January, 2017 - 04:35

It's better to have few items by locations. It limits 'noise'.(informations parasiting each other). Two items reinforce the signal. More item tends to create 'noise'.

By the way, you're not obliged to use your house. You can perfectly use a road you know well for taking it every day of your childhood, a map etc. Everything familiar can do.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: